Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to for a throw out bearing

Default Time to for a throw out bearing

Well the POS has picked up a neat little metal on metal grinding noise when you depress the clutch ; I take this noise to be telling me my throw out bearing has gone to a better place after 157,700 miles. It actually sounds kind of like a blow off valve when I shift. Zooooom Screech Zoooom……

Sadly the clutch is strong, but since I have get too the throw out bearing I figure I might as well replace everything while it's apart.

Who here has done a clutch job by themselves? Would you do it again?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I will help if you decide to do it yourself.

I would love to help with the project... I hear there may be some lurkers (hint, hint flyin96m and Mr. P) that have extensive experience with the job...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I've just heard its a bieatch... but I will help out as well... My BRG and Red will be needing clutches as well.... would like to see whats involved....

Chris

I did a clutch job on my '90, and it wasn't fun. You definatly need some nice 6 point 1/2 drive sockets, several extentions, and a breaker bar. I did mine with the car on jackstands, just high enough to barely get the tranny out, with a friend. All together it probably took the two of us 10 hours, although I read about people doing it much quicker I'm just slow.

I also have read about people holding the tranny up by hand while re-attaching it to the engine. Whatever, even with the help of my friend, we still used a jack to hold it up while we wrenched.

Anyway, I'd be glad to help, it's got to be easier the second time.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Default Re: Time to for a throw out bearing

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Who here has done a clutch job by themselves? Would you do it again?
    I think I've done two or three on my car now. The first was by choice (I didn't know what I was getting myself into) - the other two were not.

I like to turn a wrench as much as the next guy, but I'd give Mr. Boyd a call on this one.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I did a clutch install on my 94 about a year and a half ago. It took one day with the help of a couple friends. You'll need a good impact, lots of extensions and swivel and universal joints. It would also help to have someone with small hands.

It's pretty straight forward, nothing confusing but a lot of work. Definitely do the clutch while you're in there b/c it's relatively inexpensive and don't forget the rear main seal.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Hey POS

You need to buy my red car and use the motor and other stuff for your 88 hp dream! I may bring it out to the Dyno de Mayo (or whatever its called). Otherwise I'd be willing to help also with the new clutch.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Just an FYI, I picked up a set of 6 point 1/2" drive impact sockets from harbor freight for $14. I am going to be changing mine here in a few weeks also.

I dont know anything about changing out a throwout bearing or Clutch however I would like to see what is involved and offer my help in anyway I can, sorry to hear about it...hope it all goes without a hitch.
    99 Miata Black

Ok let me start by saying I know you are a CB, but unless you just want an excuse to invent new swear words and see how long it takes for scaped knuckles to heal I would farm this out. Even with a lift, air tools and a few friends this is not a fun task, and I have gotten good enough to know when to quit. My trans is on it's way out and I may do it then, but I sure as hell am not looking forward to it.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I attempted it, and had to turn back and give up due to weather and time constraints (Rain and power tools don't mix). Mr. Boyd is getting it shortly, as I'll be spending most of the next month in Tulsa, LA, and San Diego. He seems to keep fairly busy, so the sooner you get in touch with him the better.

*I highly recommend e-mail as a way of getting in touch with him.

I did mine myself. Believe me, it's no picnic! But it can be done. Air tools help. One problem I had was getting the car high enough off the floor to be able to drop the tranny with a jack under it. I'd say that unless you just "want" to do it yourself (like me), have someone else do it.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Well it was so nice yesterday morning I decided to drive the POS, she has been resting quietly in the garage while I have been deciding what her future holds, and guess what no evil throw out bearing noise at all...... How can that be???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well it was so nice yesterday morning I decided to drive the POS, she has been resting quietly in the garage while I have been deciding what her future holds, and guess what no evil throw out bearing noise at all...... How can that be???
    That leaky Main Seal has been leaking oil all over the bearing for the last week, helping to hide your noise!

***DISCLAIMER***
    Titus often has no clue what he is talking about, so take his WAG for what it is!

Because of the loud nature of the throw out shreak, you are now deaf on that spectrum of the sound range. That is why dogs are running away from your car.....

Mine did the same thing, after driving the piss out of it, still hasnt made a peep yet...strange.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Mine did the same thing over the course of a year's time. Finally it started doing it all the time. I think that the small amount Steven Boyd charges to to this will keep me loving my miata longer.

On my 92 B&T it did it for about 4 days before it seized up.

Luckily it did it while the stealership was testdriving it... I just made it back in the car from OKC. WHEW!

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast