Thread: Solo Storm

Default Solo Storm

The Eberleins and the Whitenermobile had this sort-of newish app called Solo Storm. It seems like a good entry-level data logging app for android devices. For those of you out there using it, which tablets are you using?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"

I've used it a bit on my HTC flyer (discontinued). Probably just about any tablet will do fine though as long as it has Bluetooth.
    Mark Wortham
    SS #197 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

My experience using the program and a 7" tablet is it depends on your goals and eye site. The screen you see inside the store
    is not what you see out in the sunlight. You really need shade to review the screen on a tablet. You will have to have good eyes
    to see it on a phone. You can record video with the Android device and overlay the data. Now to get that done between runs could
    be a trick as it takes time to render on a phone or tablet. I have seen some good video taken with a phone.

Mounting a tablet for video becomes a problem. Even a 7" blocks some vision. But the biggest problem is shake.
    Not saying it can't be done but suggest you ask question on the SoloStorm forum for suggestions if that is a goal.

For others wanting to know SoloStorm does NOT works on Apple iDevices.

Nice program.

strathound

$200? You got to be kidding me.

Write your own program then. Will will see you in about a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by strathound View Post
    $200? You got to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    My experience using the program and a 7" tablet is it depends on your goals and eye site. The screen you see inside the store
    is not what you see out in the sunlight. You really need shade to review the screen on a tablet. You will have to have good eyes
    to see it on a phone. You can record video with the Android device and overlay the data. Now to get that done between runs could
    be a trick as it takes time to render on a phone or tablet. I have seen some good video taken with a phone.

Mounting a tablet for video becomes a problem. Even a 7" blocks some vision. But the biggest problem is shake.
    Not saying it can't be done but suggest you ask question on the SoloStorm forum for suggestions if that is a goal.

For others wanting to know SoloStorm does NOT works on Apple iDevices.

Nice program.

We have a gopro and I was told it functions with it pretty well. Is the shake bad for when you are doing video only or for all parts of the program?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

I was only testing the video at the time. I just tried the 3 suction ChaseCam mount which gave me only 1 mounting point. I think I tried it touching the dash also. On my Miata going down the street I could tell it would not work in the real world of autocrossing. So I don't know if it messes with the internal accelerometer.
    They talk about mounts on the SoloStorm forum. For more feedback you might search or post to sccaforum.com. It is a larger community of users.

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    Write your own program then. Will will see you in about a year.
    I'm using a Galaxy Note II and about a half dozen apps and none of them cost more than $5. Gives you most of the same data. I agree that it's a pretty cool little app that gives some additional data. But I wouldn't expect the price point to go from $5 to $200 just for that. I question if it's worth the extra amount, that's all.

Solo Storm is much more specific to autox than other products, and integrates more data than any other offerings. For a National-caliber driver looking for data to find a few hundreths of a second, it makes a difference.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

strathound

Just saw this on TrackJunkies:

http://www.indiegogo.com/RaceCapture

Once again, $200 for a phone/tablet solution seems expensive compared to that.

MS

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Solo Storm is much more specific to autox than other products, and integrates more data than any other offerings. For a National-caliber driver looking for data to find a few hundreths of a second, it makes a difference.
    Yeah, I get that is how they are pricing their product ... as a specialty item. So are you using it? Is it worth the money? In the end, that's all that matters.

When you find yourself a few tenths or hundreths out of the trophies at a Tour, Pro-solo or Nationals, its well worth it. I wouldn't think it is a useful investment over the simpler, less-expensive options for someone who is still learning the sport.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 03-05-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Incase you haven't noticed, autocross is SERIOUS business.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Best data product i have used to date. Great for coaching on two driver cars but showing data to codriver could result in getting beat. Have had this happen twice!!! Terrific tool xfor testing

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Incase you haven't noticed, autocross is SRSBZNSS.
    Fixed.