Thread: Hanging up the Helmet

Tire Warmer

Default Hanging up the Helmet

Howdy folks,

Seriously considering giving up motorcycling and getting into a Miata for open-air, short weekend escapes.

A little bit about me; grew-up in El Paso, moved to the Metroplex in '98 and have enjoyed the plentiful two-lane farm roads outside DFW on two wheels, specially enjoy getting out early on weekends to find the small-town eateries (pie, BBQ, Burgers, etc.)

I plan to head over to the Max (CarMax) to test drive a Miata shortly and see how well I fit in one (5'9 200+ lbs.). This is the only place I've purchased used cars in the Metroplex and have had good experiences so far. I will also be looking at private sales from Miata enthusiasts, so if you know someone that is selling theirs, kindly let me know.

Looking to spend 4K to 5K; mostly interested in dependability at this point. Color, aesthetics, add-ons, etc. not a big issue with me.

Any and all advise with regards to buying (i.e. gotchas) is genuinely welcomed

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome Adan! I am a 2-wheel convert myself. The Miata is the almost as much fun as a bike...plus it has heat, AC and a top when you need them.

If you're looking to spend $4-5K, you're better off buying from an individual rather than CarMax (or similiar). If you do find one, you could probably convince some members here help you give it the once over. Wouldn't be the first time we did!

Tire Warmer

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Welcome Adan! I am a 2-wheel convert myself. The Miata is the almost as much fun as a bike...plus it has heat, AC and a top when you need them.
    Kewl, saw the red VFR on your webpage, a red '02 VTEC was almost my next bike but I've almost managed to get it out of my system Sold an F650GS a week ago today that I purchased in December '04, had been riding boxer twins (GS & RT) for the last 5 or so years before that.

Anyhow, the CarMax thing is mostly my means to get a no-pressure test ride and see how my fat hinney fits in one Private sale seems to be the way to go for actually getting one, as you mentioned.

Default Re: Hanging up the Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Adan
    I plan to head over to the Max (CarMax) to test drive a Miata shortly and see how well I fit in one (5'9 200+ lbs.).
    6'2" 230 lbs here, no problems. Actually I quite enjoy the nice snug feel this tiny car gives me, my only complaint is I sometimes have to look over the windshield to see the stoplights . You should be fine.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Hello and welcome, Adan!

I, too, grew up in El Paso.

I, too, moved to the MetroMess in '98 (from Florida via Kansas, Missouri, etc.)

I, too, had a motorbike for a fun ride (as did most of us!)

I, too, am a big guy (6'2", not sure on the weight just yet, long story).

Now I'm sure I just didn't log onto this site twice!

If ever you need any help, please feel free to ask!

Hi Adan,

There are several of us that would be happy to help you look over a used Miata. There are several common maintenance issues with them that are very easy to do/fix... Heck, we even have Tech Days to work on the cars from time to time.

I'm 5' 8 1/2" tall and about 225 and fit just fine in my 2003... I've also had 2 1992's before that and fit in them just fine too. I don't think you'll have an issue unless you have a very bad leg or bad back from your motorcycle days.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

sometimes have to look over the windshield to see the stoplights
    I'm only 5'8" on a good day, and I can never see the stoplights if I'm first in line allways ducking down or looking over the top of the Windshield

There you have it, my one and only complaint
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I'm 5'6", never owned a bike, and grew up in East Texas. Welcome aboard, but don't hang the helmet too high - you'll need it for autocross
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Ha! I did almost the opposite. Once I bought my VFR I found that I rarely drove the Miata any more. I've considered selling it quite a few times but everytime I get in it, I look around at the cozy interior and listen to the exhaust burbling away and think ...nawwww... no way. I can't sell it, it's like a favorite pair of slippers or something. Fits so good, and feels so nice. Besides I can't ride the Viffer EVERY day!

Don't see how you could go wrong with nice Miata.

Welcome!
    -Elliott-
    -92 White A-Pkg (gone)
    -2011 Mazda3i

Tire Warmer

Default Test ride

Ended up going to the Mesquite Mazda dealer for my first Miata test ride. They had two '01s (16 in. wheels and bigger brakes) and a White '00. Went ahead and drove the '00. It's in rough shape (thorn leather, broken fog lenses, etc.) and has over 100K miles so I figured they'd be ready to deal on it and it suits my needs (wants) pretty good. They only came down to 10K (without much negotiating). Edmunds has it valued at about 5K to 6K because of the miles and condition, so not the deal of the Century, but at least it tells me the car is built very good. This one felt pretty tight with more than 100K miles, probably not much different than new.

First impression: DAYUMM, this thing rocks!!!! No wonder so many people love them so much. There is definitely enough room for this 240 lb. Gorilla

Loved the handling, feedback, short-throw shifter & hydraulic clutch, etc. Pulled in next to my Passat and could not see over the car's trunk , low profile will take some getting used to, but then again, not looking for it to replace my daily 100-mile commuter.

Tire Warmer

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    don't hang the helmet too high - you'll need it for autocross
    I have a Nolan N100 flip-face that was never subjected to SNELL testing (only DOT). Did a Rally-X once with an Auto-X diehard friend of mine and they would not let me use my bike helmet because of this Had to use one of those very old/beat-up 3/4 loaners that was probably much less safer than my own considering it did not fit as good and had probably been dropped numerous times. But we had loads of fun anyhow on the AWD Ford Escape we rented for the event

Default Re: Test ride

Quote Originally Posted by Adan
    ...next to my Passat and could not see over the car's trunk

Too weird...

Either that, or somebody is pulling a good ruse!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Tell Chris 4/1 is over and he already dropped you to the mat!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Tell Chris 4/1 is over and he already dropped you to the mat!
    No kidding...