Thread: SCCA autocross school April 23rd

Default SCCA autocross school April 23rd

Who all is going to be there??

I will be there with my Wife & some other friends. I finally talked her into trying it out.

Anyway, has anyone attended this school before?? I am wondering what to expect as far as quality. I have heard SCCA has shaped up their organization this year, I need seat time really bad so I well go regardless, but I am still curious.

I went to the PCA school last year, learned a lot & had a good time, how does the SCCA school stack up against the PCA??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Having instructed at both and been a student at the SCCA school many years ago, I honestly think the PCA school offers more bang for the buck. Not only does it offer more seat time (the SCCA school spends the morning in a classroom), but the structure of the school is more efficient, imho.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Having instructed at both and been a student at the SCCA school many years ago, I honestly think the PCA school offers more bang for the buck. Not only does it offer more seat time (the SCCA school spends the morning in a classroom), but the structure of the school is more efficient, imho.
    SCCA has one distinct advantage... it is this month, while PCA is 11 months away!

^The man's got a point

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    (the SCCA school spends the morning in a classroom)
    I read that on the website, I was hoping it wasnt true...

Well, this is more for my wife than me, so maybee she'll learn enough to be somewhat comfortable on course.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I'm signed up... I haven't run anysort of a school in this car, so I figured why not... Anotehr EVO school isn't really in my budget this year, so I'll have to make due..

Although, then they went and put the track day on the same date.. I'm still debating trying to change my priorities..

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I'm signed up... I haven't run anysort of a school in this car, so I figured why not... Anotehr EVO school isn't really in my budget this year, so I'll have to make due..

Although, then they went and put the track day on the same date.. I'm still debating trying to change my priorities..
    [subliminal message]Send Gary your check[/subliminal message]
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'm going to the Track Day! I have done both the SCCA School and a Track Day; the track day wins every time!

I was debating going to this school because I have been to both SCCA & PCA schools. PCA was a lot better for the obvious reason of more seat time. But I have not been schooled in the Miata, plus I missed PCA school this year due to attending someone on here's wedding. Damn weddings.... j/k Jiggerachi!
    Looks like I'll be attending this one along with my wife in her Mazda 3. We are in the process of getting her some new tires since she burned them up at the PCA ladies autox school. I can't talk her into co-driving the Miata.
    No more Miata

anyone knwo if I can get a refund of my $50 for the school?

that woudl make teh decision easier

I could probably get you a refund, since it's more than a week or so away. Let me know and I'll notify the registrar. If you paid by pay pal it will be easy. Still can be done even if you sent a check...

That said, yeah, I would prefer to go to the track day instead, but then noticed it was the same day as the school. Originally I was going to be out of town, so Matt Lucas was handling the school and the event, but my class in Indiana was cancelled by GM, so I'll be there helping Matt. Bottom line, if you want to learn some basic stuff in the classroom session, which lasts a couple of hours, and basic low speed car control techniques, vehicle placement for max lap times, and plenty of seat time, come on over to Pennington. I know you can go faster at the track, but have you heard the old saying.... "Good autocrossers make good track drivers, but the opposite is not always true." That low speed basic stuff generally works for most high speed stuff, but high speed techniques may not always work for low speed, autox events... Hey, it's your call though, and if you want to get your entry fee back, shoot me an email. BTW, that 50 bucks for the school also covers the event on Sunday, so keep that in mind...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Yeah, I'm sticking with the AutoX school...

I could probably use the seat time, and I've yet to do a school in this car anyway...

Trakc day woudl be fun, but I see there aren't many cars signed up for the school, so I'll stick with it.

Besides, I've already got a couple extra guys to sign up for the school, so it'll be fun. (one C5 and one newbie with a 350Z)

So if you're out at the school, be sure to swing by and say hello....

Eric

Hey, I'm gonna be there too. Looks like we'll be running in SM2 together.
    I went to this school last year and had a good time. The classroom session was pretty basic, and I didn't really learn much there that I hadn't already picked up in a quick read of Secrets of Solo Racing by Watts. The seat time was fairly decent, but I wished my runs had been timed (they did use a stopwatch on a couple of runs). I thought it was an excellent value, given that Sunday's entry cost is included in the price for the school.
    Only bad thing was that the Sunday race was very crowded last year, mostly because of the novices. Might not be a problem this year if the school doesn't fill up.

-Joey