Thread: Weird sound inside car

Default Weird sound inside car

Hey guys, I started to have this high pitched ring/humming noise. It kind of sounds like there is a sport bike is outside(sounds like exhaust kind of) Well It seems to be coming from the bellhousing rught under the shifter. I notice it more when I lean in down in that area.

The other interesting thing is it only happens at 4k rpm. Just under that or over and the sound goes away or is just not as loud. Has anyone else had this problem before? It's really annoying because 4k is about 70mph for me so highway driving is crazy. Could it be inputshaft bearing?
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

I don't mean the bearing on the flywheel. It was replaced about a year ago. The bearing that holds the other side of the input shaft(one inside the tansmission).
    '99 Miata w/td05

Might check the obvious and see if you have a torn shifter boot, transmissions make noise even brand new though. Might also check fluid level.

Shifter boot and all shifter components in the shifter box were replaced a year ago. It's for sure something in the transmission. It's a high pitched ringing/pinging noise. Doesn't do it in neutral sitting still. Does do it in all gears. I drove the car with a bad pilot bearing which supports the inputs haft for a year and I'm thinking maybe the bearing for the input shaft got warn down from the lack of support on the other end and is now giving out? Could that be?
    '99 Miata w/td05

The "ringing" description makes me think something is hitting the flywheel. It will resonate like a bell sometimes.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Yes, It does kind of sound like a bell. Why at 4k rpm though. Would it not do it all the time but with a differant pitch? idk but that is a good idea. Not sure why it would be doing that. I really don't want to tear it apart right now so I'm working on getting a 99 camry I have up and running to use while I work on the mazda.
    '99 Miata w/td05