Thread: '91 w/ 1.8 swap - rear subframe strengthening suggestions

Default '91 w/ 1.8 swap - rear subframe strengthening suggestions

Alright so I've got a 1991 na with 1.8 swap using all 1.6 parts.
    So those of you who are familiar with the subframes will know the issue I have.
    89-93 subframes have none of the factory mounts for the 1.8 ladder brace.
    Now my problem comes in when it comes to bracing that portion of the vehicle.
    So at this point I have 2 options that fit my situation. The fm cannon brace which is viable from fm with the respectable size exhaust port. But this option leaves the forward 2 "legs" open and unbraced compared to the factory ladder brace which can be fitted to a 1.6 subframe with the awr weld on tab kit.

So at this fork in the road, I'm having trouble deciding between the two.

The pros of the cannon are: compatibility w/ current subframe, beefiness compared to ladder brace (visually), bracing extends more upward into suframe as opposed to the ladder brace.

The pros of the 1.8 ladder brace are: stock look, compatible subframe with 1.8 factory brace, and option to tie in all 4 legs.

IMO he factory ladder brace doesn't look very substantial but I don't know the effect on the rear subframe, compared to the cannon.
    Please post opinions, advice, and any prior knowledge or experience and if you went with one or the other , which and why?
    Also have they ever been used in conjunction, is it possible?

Sorry ahead of time for the poor post quality, iPhone only.

So after a bit of searching for another alternative to my original cannon/ladder dilemma, I've stumbled across a great find. I'm sure many of you have already seen this since mazmart out of Atlanta was posting on miata net in '05 about importing these pieces from Autoexe, particularly he nc braces.

This is the rear subframe brace for the 89-93 model years that didn't come with any/all the pieces of the ladder brace therefore no tabs to mount it.

So I know it's hard to tell for certain but it appears as if this na6 brace has brackets that are bent upward and allow it to mount via the alignment bolts, like the cannon.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Here is the na8 version that bolts up to the eyelets:

Side by side for better view

So these are by Autoexe, ex mazdaspeed designers. Does anyone know where it can be ordered; Rev9? Straight from Autoexe?

You don't need to do any of that shit. If you want, I'll sell you the ladder bar brace ting off my 1994.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    You don't need to do any of that shit. If you want, I'll sell you the ladder bar brace ting off my 1994.
    can you throw in the subframe(with the required tabs) to bolt in your ladder brace?

91na6 is looking to know how they fit... from what I can see in the side by side, the early model DOES bolt to the eccentrics!

how much $$$?

you can send autoexe a message, they have a website.
    JDSM, creating innovative products and ideas to increase your Miata's performance since 2014. GO ZOOM ZOOM!

Sirhustleresq, im gonna go with the Autoexe brace. I want something more substantial than the factory ladder. Particularly something that is compatible with my 1.6 subframe without any welding the eyelets, etc.

JDcanadian, you see the upward brackets that would bolt up to the subframe via alignment bolts. I think it's around $500+ I don't know for sure because I can't find a retailer with the na6 version.

I'm assuming an importer like corksport, rev9, mazmart etc could order it for me, or could go through Autoexe themselves.

I'll still need to verify the mounting points etc

Rod at tetsuya garage is another option for Japan parts. Can also buy stuff off of yahoo auctions Japan through him. So maybe browse through the auctions and see if one pops up.
    2001 SE BRG Miata #2026, Aka: The Green Slug