Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kumho V710 Recall - Good News Inside!

Chassis Designer

Default Kumho V710 Recall - Good News Inside!

From the Tire Rack:

Kumho Tire U.S.A. notified us today they have chosen to voluntarily recall all ECSTA V710 tires. If you still have ECSTA V710 tires (new, used or even worn out), Kumho has authorized us to exchange them on a one-for-one basis with an enhanced version of the ECSTA V710 when it becomes available in approximately 60-90 days.

In order to compensate you for any inconvenience, as well as mounting and balancing costs, Kumho has further authorized us to provide either ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires, again on a one-for-one basis, at no final cost to you. Since ECSTA V700 and VictoRacer V700 tires require tread shaving for use in dry conditions, shaving will be available at no charge. Heat Cycling will also be included at no charge if your ECSTA V710 tires were heat cycled by the Tire Rack originally.

The Tire Rack Team wants to help you replace your voluntarily recalled tires as quickly and conveniently as possible. If you still have new, used or worn out ECSTA V710 tires:

Contact the Tire Rack representative indicated on your original invoice, or call (800) 428-8355 and asking for the first available sales representative.

Provide the phone number where your credit card bills are received, the invoice number of your ECSTA 710 purchase and/or your name.

Identify the quantity of new, used or worn out ECSTA V710 tires you will be exchanging.

The Tire Rack representative will establish a no-charge backorder at The Tire Rack for the enhanced ECSTA V710 tires when they become available, as well as place an order for your ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires. We will charge your credit card when we ship your ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires.

Contact a Tire Rack representative when your ECSTA V710 tires are dismounted and ready to be picked up by the UPS representative and we will issue the required number of prepaid UPS Pick-up Labels for you to return your ECSTA V710 tires.

Upon the return of your ECSTA V710 tires, we will credit the full value of ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires to the credit card used to purchase them.

The Tire Rack apologizes for any inconvenience this causes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The content of Kumho's announcement is provided below:

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR ECSTA V710 TIRES

Kumho Tire’s priority is safety, and we are committed to supplying our customers with the highest quality and best performing tires that are available anywhere in the world. It is with this philosophy in mind that Kumho is taking immediate action in discontinuing the sale of the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire.

The V710 has won several races and set numerous track records since it was introduced into the market on January 1, 2004. Although we have not experienced any air loss failures with the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire, we have discovered some inconsistent test results relating to tread splice and tread area durability.

The sale of the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire will, therefore, be discontinued immediately, and tires in use in the market will be collected from consumers. Kumho will replace them with either the Kumho ECSTA V700 or Victoracer tire free of charge.

An investigation into the cause of the inconsistencies has been carried out and modifications to the product and production methods have been made to ensure these inconsistencies do not re-occur.

Consumers who have purchased the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire must call the dealer where the tires were purchased or the following toll free number to arrange for tire return and replacement:

1-800-445-8646 Extension 342

Consumers will be given the choice of a free replacement of the ECSTA V710 with either the ECSTA V700 or Victoracer. They will also be provided a free set of the modified ECSTA V710 upon its arrival.

Kumho is sincerely committed to the quality of our products and the total satisfaction of our customers. We regret any inconvenience to our customers.

Kumho Tire U.S.A.
    14605 Miller Avenue
    Fontana, CA 92336
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

Hmmm... Looks like that little flat spot altiain and I put on his right front won't be a problem at all...

However, based on what I saw in person on JRW's first set of V710s and what he describes regarding the replacement set, it sounds like getting a free set of Ecstas isn't going to be much help...

Chassis Designer

Well, good luck with the Ecstas.

I just got off the phone and Kumho is sending 4 more out to me except they are going to shave them.

Tailchaserdo you have any cuts on your Ecstas?

This looks like an exacto knife cut that is deep at the edges.

I inspected these carefully before I accepted them and the appearance was perfect. So when I found separation after the event, I was surprised.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

At least Kumho is stepping up and acknowledging they have a problem. That's something these days!

Quote Originally Posted by JRW
    Tailchaserdo you have any cuts on your Ecstas?
    Nope... I have a full set of 4 K8A tires... I may want to have Kumho/Discount Tire wait a bit longer to resolve that issue...

Sweet - looks like I won't need to buy a new set of V710s next month after all.

Let me make sure I'm reading this right (haven't had time to call Tire Rack yet)... so I send my current V710s back, get a free set of Ecsta V700s to use for right now, and get a free set of new V710s when they come out? Is that right?

I tell you what - if that's the case, I'll be a Kumho customer for life!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by JRW
    This looks like an exacto knife cut that is deep at the edges...
    Well I thought it was just where the tire was laminated. The Hoosiers did that all the time. I was not worried when I saw it on 710's. Here is a picture. Not sure if this is what you are talking about. You can put your finger nail in the crack.

So... does the V710 have the K6A stamp on it???

I would find it extremely curious if the K6A is delaminating on V700s AND V710s but the K8A isn't...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    So... does the V710 have the K6A stamp on it???

I would find it extremely curious if the K6A is delaminating on V700s AND V710s but the K8A isn't...
    I did not see any stamp mark like the build date. 5103
    There was another stamp mark location but it was blank.

On the V700s, the compound stamp is only on one side... Haven't seen one on a 710 yet either. Just hoping I'd missed it...

My understanding was that the 710s had the K6A compound.

On the V700s, the compound stamp is only on one side... Haven't seen one on a 710 yet either. Just hoping I'd missed it...

My understanding was that the 710s had the K6A compound.
    My understanding was that the V710s were an entirely different compound.

No butt splice lines on mine, but I'll still be calling Tire Rack in the morning. I still say two free sets of tires is a hell of a deal - looks like I won't need to buy race tires again this year! Hats off to Kumho!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

General Default says:
    Well I thought it was just where the tire was laminated. The Hoosiers did that all the time. I was not worried when I saw it on 710's. Here is a picture. Not sure if this is what you are talking about. You can put your finger nail in the crack.
    That is exactly the way mine started. At first it did not look that serious, but the crack at each edge was a little deeper. Also, the rubber was chunking around the outside edge of the crack.

So boyz, which 700 series tire will it be? ECSTA or VictoRacers?

General Default =
    JRW =
    altiain =
    tailchaser =

Maybe we will have a Spec class after all!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Chassis Designer

For 16" wheels the only choice in Kumho is the Ecsta.
    But, I am seriously considering Hoosier.

Ecsta V700s for me, at least for now. But I'll be switching back to the V710s as soon as the "new and improved" ones show up at my door.
    Iain

JRW are the failures you have had recently on 6 V700 Ecsta just a 16" problem?

Kumho is being nice to you 710 owners, but I'd still like to know if it's just a fluke that JRW got a hold of 6 bad tires this season before I mounted my Ecsta 700's.... YMMV

POS... I thought you had Victoracers...

POS... I thought you had Victoracers...
    I do, but some of you are getting a set of the 700's which we have seen fail 6 times! Makes me worry!

I’d like to know what caused the 700 failures, is it the same problem they are having with the 710s?? Injuring minds would like to know!

Well... if my 16s never show the symptom... that's probably a clue since I have the "wrong" compound.

Chassis Designer

POS wrote:
    JRW are the failures you have had recently on 6 V700 Ecsta just a 16" problem?
    I really don't know. I have not read about anyone else mentioning Ecsta problems and with the V710 recall and I think people would say something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast