Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Model #

Default Tire Model #

Tailchaser,

What model number are the Hankook tires you have on your car?

The sticky go-fast ones are R-S2

The not-so-sticky ones are K106
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

you gotta love this place.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

TC another question, which size are you running? I need to buy POS some new tires so that he can run Vivid at MSR on the 23rd.

I like the 215/45-16. It makes the speedometer read right.

They also look mean as hell. 205/45-16 would probably be fine, too.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

You better make sure your rims are wide enough to run that much width.

For MSR and open track in general you want the tire to be the proper width for the rim. Any wider and your steering response gets degraded.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Suprisingly, the sidewall is pretty square with the 215 on the 16x6.5. I've been autocrossing the 215/45 for 2.5 years. Looking at the portion of tread I'm using, it looks like the 215 is a really good match. I suspect on a 7 inch or wider rim, I'd probably get to use a bit more of the tread, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    For MSR and open track in general you want the tire to be the proper width for the rim. Any wider and your steering response gets degraded.
    Having run 225/45-15s, 205/50-15s, and 195/50-15s on a 6" wide rim on the track and autocrossing, let me add that with a stiff sidewalled performance tire you probably won't notice the minimal degradation in steering feedback going from a 205 to a 215 width.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by IMVivid
    TC another question, which size are you running? I need to buy POS some new tires so that he can run Vivid at MSR on the 23rd.
    Gee, I hope he doesn't read this....... :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Merv,

Is that you ahead of ARA in you picture?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Quote Originally Posted by IMVivid
    Gee, I hope he doesn't read this....... :)
    What cha talking about Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    Merv,

Is that you ahead of ARA in you picture?
    ...but of course!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

FYI - Mr. Hollis won STS at the Atlanta Tour on the new Hankooks. There is an ongoing discussion on how they compare to the new Azenis RT-615s and the old RT-215s here.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think they've got to be a HUGE advantage on any non-ABS car. Sustained max braking is .2g greater with the Hankooks on my car. I don't know if that's because I can modulate them closer to lock-up or because they're stickier.

However, they feel a lot grippier off the line, and they are definitely grippy. I'm enjoying the hell out of them, if I haven't made that clear already.

Merv, that pic is a few years old now. Ara might be faster now but I think you still got it! I am for all the "old guys" (me included) against the kids.

So TC... where's a good place to get a set o' them sticky Hankooks? I think I'm going to put a set on my new set of wheels and come play in tire class with you guys at some events.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    So TC... where's a good place to get a set o' them sticky Hankooks? I think I'm going to put a set on my new set of wheels and come play in tire class with you guys at some events.
    Your favorite DiscountTire? I'm not sure which one you west-side boys use unless you trek up to Flower Mound...

Hmm... I guess I'll have to see what my local Discount Tire monkeys can do. Edge Racing has them in the size I'd want (195/50-15) for $64 each.

Edit: Looks like DT Online has the same price.
    Iain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast