Thread: 2000 Miata LS build thread-whoswatchingme

Cool 2000 Miata LS build thread-whoswatchingme

Here is my 2000 Miata LS build thread and have plans of much more to come. Hope you enjoy

Bought my Classic Red 2000 Mazda Miata LS on January 16,2013 for $4250 w/ 146,080 miles and bone stock except for a "push button start". The car mechanically was sound(or so i thought...turns out to be burning oil..more on that later) but had more small scuffs and dents than i prefer but i drove 2+hours and wasn't going home emptied handed. Here are the stock pics:

When i got home that day(01-16-13) i ordered Konig Flatout w/ full machine face 15x8 +25mm offset and only weighing 12.4lbs each vs the stock 15x6 wheels that are 13.2lbs. Also ordered 949 racing forged aluminum lug nuts and hub centric rings all through Goodwin racing and then Hankook Vantus RS-3 in 225/45/15 through Discount Tire. Also ordered "Roadster" decals for center caps off of Ebay and i had the fenders rolled locally @ Tuner Ready just in case. Here are rather poor quality cell phone pics after they were installed on 01-29-13 and pics of when i took them of to clean up when i did the brakes:

Last edited by whoswatchingme; 06-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.

02-13-13: Ordered a DDM Works Stage 1 intake from Moss Miata and a HID kit from HID online store(due to passenger headlight having a faulty ground or something and being very dim). 8k HID kit installed on 02-15-13:

Pic also shows a universal license plate relocation bracket ordered off Ebay and installed on 02-27-13.
    DDM Works intake installed on 02-19-13:

Ignore header...didn't take pic of just intake so used one from a later date.
    03-05-13: Ordered Roadster Sport 3 midpipe and muffler from Goodwin Racing and front & rear o2 sensors from Rock Auto and urethane hangers from Moss Miata and Raceland header on 03-06-13 and installed it all on 03-12-13:
    Raceland header...had second o2 sensor bung welded on @ The Car Shop for wideband that would be installed later

Roadster Sport midpipe

Roadster Sport 3 muffler

03-06-13: Ordered drilled and slotted rotors off of Ebay and Wearever Platinum ceramic brake pads from Advance Auto and on 03-13-13 ordered Motul 600 fluid, bleeder valve hose kit,syringe from Track Dog Racing and ordered ARP wheel studs, Technica SS braided brake lines from Goodwin Racing and ordered a ATi Epod gauge holder off of Ebay for the AEM wide band sensor i already had from a previous car and installed all on 03-31-13:
    Had to remove header anyways to put a relief in the transmission tunnel due to the header rubbing..before relief

after relief..

Wideband sensor installed...

03-31-13: Con't rotor,brake pads,brake lines wheel stud install...
    Before:
    front right

rear right

The process..
    front right stock wheel studs

front right stock wheel studs vs ARP wheel stud length

rear right hub w/ ARP wheel studs and dust shield cut off

calipers cleaned up and ready to paint

03-31-13: Con't brake install..
    removing debris out of brake fluid reservoir

motul 600 brake fluid after brake bleeding

new Motul 600 fluid installed

front right brake install complete

rear right new brake setup w/ ARP wheel studs and ss brake lines

front right wheel w/ new brake setup

03-31-13: Cont'd
    ATi Epod gauge holder w/ AEM wide band gauge installed

Also installed a Mitsubishi clear dome lens #MR951527 and Superbright LEDs cool white LED

illumination

04-10-13: Removed RS3 muffler because i wasn't completely satisfied with the tone and traded it for a Racing Beat Power Pulse single outlet muffler from a member on miata.net..thanks Kashmire!
    Installed on 04-17-13

I know its dirty
    04-24-13:Ordered Jackson Racing 8mm spark plug wires from Moss Miata and new coil packs from The Parts Group.
    Installed JR 8mm wires on 04-26-13

Installed new coil packs on 04-29-13

Ordered this beauty on 05-10-13 off Ebay and came all the way from thailand

Last edited by whoswatchingme; 06-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.

05-19-13:Well checked the engine oil level this morning and it was at the low level mark but the weird thing is the first couple times it looked full but it was just residue i guess from the dipstick tube...the car had not been driven for about 6 hours so im sure this was an accurate reading but checked about a dozen times.

So the current mileage is 148,755(05-19-13) and the last quart was added @ 148,126(04-15-13) so in 629 miles it has burned 1 quart of oil so about every 2.6 tanks of gas i have to add oil. I dont drive it alot so one tank a gas usually last me 2 weeks or more so about every 4-5 weeks i will have to add a quart of oil. Been using Mobil Super 5000 10w40 which is $4.79 so $5.18 with tax..so in a years time that will be approx. $67 which isnt a lot obviously but i dont think i can bring myself just to drive and add oil...for one i wanted to do forced induction and second i plan on keeping a long time so even if i dont go the FI route i want to fix the issue.

I guess the next order of business is a leak down test to establish where the issue is but im fairly certain its piston rings since the oil has such a strong gasoline smell. From there i guess i will start gathering parts for a full motor rebuild since i highly doubt its just the valve stem seals..maybe be both On the brightside im glad i hadn't done all the maintenance yet but on the other hand if had established this before buying an exhaust and such i would have put that towards the motor.

06-03-13: Performed a top side treatment to try and un-stick oil control rings if they are indeed stuck.
    08:35am-Disconnected spark plug wires and removed spark plugs;all spark plugs seem to have some oil on the top 3-4 threads but i think this may be from the spark plug o-rings on the valve cover leaking since they all are.Put in 1 oz of Seafoam,1oz Berrymans B12 and 1oz STP treatment into all 4 cylinders via spark plug hole.
    09:35am-Found cylinder #1,#3 and #4 to no longer have any fluid in them but #2 cylinder was still holding fluid so i bumped the motor a few times and then put in 1 oz of Seafoam,1oz Berrymans B12 and 1oz STP treatment into cylinders #1,#3 and #4 @ approx. 09:45am.
    10:50am-Found all cylinders to still be holding fluid so left them alone to allow more time to penetrate.
    11:55am-Found cylinders #1,#2,#3 to be empty but #4 to still have fluid so i added 1oz of Berrymans B12 to #4 and 1 oz of B12 and 1oz STP to cylinders #1,#2,#3.Total Fluid is #1-8oz,#2-5oz,#3-8oz,#4-7oz so Grand Total=32oz or 1 quart
    12:55pm-Found all cylinders to still have fluid in them.
    06:55pm-Found cylinders #1,#3 and #4 to no longer have fluid and #2 to still be retaining fluid.
    09:00pm-Cylinder #2 was still holding fluid.
    06-04-13: Reinstalled plugs and wires and ran motor a couple minutes before driving to get fluid out of cylinders.
    -Changed oil with Mobil 1 10w40 oil and Puralator Pureone oil filter @149,044 miles and put 1qt thru the crankcase to flush the system of the detergents used in an attempt to unstick oil control rings if they are indeed stick and installed a magnetic oil drain plug.
    Looky My friend Johnny who owns Tuner Ready here in Temple hooked me up with the NRG c/f quick release and NRG short hub

carbon-fiber...yummy.Hopefully will install this weekend

Good work, but if those HIDs are in the factory housing, that is a no no.

maan1986:As stated above the pic the reason for the kit was due to the passenger headlight not working properly and me not putting enough effort into finding the issue(which im pretty sure is a ground issue) and so the hids was the answer but yes i am a terrible person and blinder of oncoming traffic but sooner then later i will be putting some Retrofit store projectors in the factory housing so i wont be a "ricer". Anyone willing to come help me sort out the issue with the factory passengerside headlight is more than welcome tooBeverage's and nourishment will be provided

If you add them on facebook, they occasionally put a code out there for 10-20% off. They have a sale around thanksgiving; save a few bucks on it.

06-17-13: Finally installed my Nardi Classic steering wheel, NRG hub adapter, NRG carbon fiber quick release and Works air bag defeat circuit.

Last edited by whoswatchingme; 07-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.