Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a screw in my tire - What should I do?

Default Found a screw in my tire - What should I do?

I was rotating my tires after Saturdays AutoX and noticed a screw in my tire (see pics). The tire seems to be holding pressure fine. What are my options? Do patches work well on AutoX tires (It's an RS3), and do they hold up to that kind of driving?

Or maybe just leave it and keep a very close eye on it?

Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Hell, I'd just plug it. I've tracked my car on a plugged tire. They hold up just fine.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

The screw looks far enough from the shoulder for a plug or patch to work fine. I would plug it. I have plugged several autocross tires with no ill effects. YMMV

Definitely don't just leave to screw and watch it.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

None of those tires are any good now....

I would be happy to dispose of them for you just contact me and I will send someone over to pick them up at no charge to you.

plug with a backup patch. Also possible it did not go all the way in, could just be the screw head and the rest of it broke off.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 07-22-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Perfect for the Buick....comes with pre-installed screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Perfect for the Buick....comes with pre-installed screws.
    Too soon.......

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    None of those tires are any good now....

I would be happy to dispose of them for you just contact me and I will send someone over to pick them up at no charge to you.
    Erm... No.

I picked up a plug, I'm gonna try and plug the hole in a few days when I get a chance.

Hey! You were running Studded Tires at NTAX? That's where you found all that grip on the Bus Lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Hey! You were running Studded Tires at NTAX? That's where you found all that grip on the Bus Lot!!
    That has to be popular with site owners!

Discount Tire will fix it for free ( plug and patch) if you or your dad have any kind of history with them. They are very smart about building customer loyalty that way.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Discount Tire will fix it for free ( plug and patch) if you or your dad have any kind of history with them. They are very smart about building customer loyalty that way.
    Discount tire is good. I believe some NTBs also fix for free now if they are closer to you. I think their website says if you bought your tires from them they will, but I know someone from out of town who just went there and got it done.
    2002 Mazda Miata LS Silver 6speed. Racing Beat Dual Exhaust, HDHCHTDD roll bar, Racing Beat Front Sway Bar, Whiteline end links.

Last time I set foot inside a Discount Tire to have a tire patched, I waited a solid hour for the numbnuts behind the counter to finally tell me that they wouldn't fix the tire because it was too close to the sidewall. It was in about the same spot as the OP's, and clearly an easy fix. I cussed them and took it down to the Texaco where they plugged it for $5 in about a minute. Money well spent to avoid a big pain in the ass. Last time I went to NTB, I walked out of there paying $200 to replace a tire that I got for $90 on Tire Rack. It was Sunday, they were the only ones that had the tire in question, and they refused to price match. I bet it'll be a cold day in hell before they give anything away for free...

I now have a plugging kit, but it's a cheap piece of shit from Pep Boys, and I had a hell of a time plugging one of my RS3s. If I had a little rat-tail file chucked into my drill, it would've been easier - most of the Mexican tire shops around here have such an apparatus.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I bought a plug kit a few years back, and it's one of the best things ever. The convenience of plugging the tire on the spot (sometimes while still on the car) is great. Rick, if you're at home and have a hard time reaming out the hole, grab a drill, and drill the hole out... just don't go too big.

C

Last time I went to discount tire, they cross threaded 3 lugnuts with their stupid impact gun.

I'm not going through that again. I think I'll just try my luck with the plug kit.

Put plenty of glue on the plug. Push the plug in firmly, but slowly. Pull the plug tool out RIGHT QUICK, so it cuts the plug on the way out.

c

Use it as an excuse to buy a new set of tires.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    Use it as an excuse to buy a new set of tires.
    Team Cheap Bastard membership revoked.

Hey... is mosmiles still around here??? Cuz I still chuckle when I think of the time his wife loudly recounted the story about him getting a "big screw down by the river." Just as the laughter died down, she realized why we were laughing, she loudly proclaimed (and I swear she really did forget to say tire), "It was in the rear!!!!"
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast