Thread: OMG! Double swaybars in the rear! What does all mean?!?

Default OMG! Double swaybars in the rear! What does all mean?!?

I didn't have the time or resources to do a full FEA on this, so I did a HQG (Hillbilly quick guess).

Basically I attached a secondary bar to the OEM stock one with four hose clamps. This second bar attaches to the frame with some standard AutoZone bushings. Makes sense to me... any thoughts or disparaging words on why this is a bad idea / won't work?

IMG_20130803_124002_867[1].jpgIMG_20130803_123921_870[1].jpg

We'll see if works tomorrow anyway... it may make for good comedy.

Edit: Felt great around the neighborhood at speeds approaching 25 mph!
    Last edited by TexasStig; 08-03-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Not sure it would work since the ends aren't connected to the suspension at all. I guess if the clamps were tight enough it might do something. I think to stiffen it, you'd need to connect it at the outer ends of the sway bar where it is actually moving. The middle part just rotates in place.

You drove that in the neighborhood!? Your neighbors must love you.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Quote Originally Posted by rmonheim View Post
    You drove that in the neighborhood!? Your neighbors must love you.
    They were just happy he kept it off the curbs.

Too Soon????

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    They were just happy he kept it off the curbs.

Too Soon????
    I hit neither curbs or small children, although I screamed "free candy" just to freak everyone out even more.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    I hit neither curbs or small children, although I screamed "free candy" just to freak everyone out even more.
    I'm not sure what I would think if I saw a beater crx with std plastered down the side and crabs zip tied to the hood. I bet people's reactions would be hilarious to watch

I guess if the clamps were tight enough it might do something
    It's pretty darn tight. I may disconnect for a run to see if I can feel a difference. If it does help, I can look into welding the bars together.

Your neighbors must love you.
    They do!

Wait... Is it April 1st and I'm just mis-reading my calendar? Am I going to have to drive to wherever to see this trainwreck tomorrow???? If something falls off, there better be video.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    If it does help, I can look into welding the bars together.
    I think that would work best, that way they would act as one. Not sure it would still need to be bolted to the chassis if you did that. If you left it bolted up and then welded it, I'm guessing it would make the car uncontrollably oversteer-y since the suspension would be frozen in place.

I'll be interested to hear if this method works.

Yeah, having trouble seeing how it actually does anything, as it doesn't connect any moving parts. Sway bars add roll stiffness between suspension sides. What can this do, besides add weight?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yeah, having trouble seeing how it actually does anything, as it doesn't connect any moving parts. Sway bars add roll stiffness between suspension sides. What can this do, besides add weight?
    With any luck, tear off part of the floor pan, resulting in a great Youtube video!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    With any luck, tear off part of the floor pan, resulting in a great Youtube video!
    ER should advertise this. It could be a big draw.

I've gotta ask, why are you trying to stiffen the rear sway bar? Is the car under steering?

I would think upping the rear spring rates would be a better idea. I read about some lemons cars stacking bumpstops to effectively create extra spring rate. That or finding an thicker oem sway bar from a larger car that you could put in.
    Last edited by rmonheim; 08-03-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    If something falls off, there better be video.
    Please, someone video my first two runs, even if it's just with your phone. If nothing crazy happens, I'd at least like to see if the car reacts differently with & without this contraption.

I've gotta ask, why are you trying to stiffen the rear sway bar? Is the car under steering?
    Okay, under-steer. you don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this and then I can continue killing you with beer.

Lol
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Toe out the rear all the way and then run different tires front/back.

I don't see how this does anything but add weight to the rear of the car. It's not attached to any moving parts of the suspension.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well Leopold how did the double sway bar work??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Well Leopold how did the double sway bar work??
    YES IT DID! I disconnected it for my 3rd run, and could feel the difference. Russ said he visually noticed more body roll as well during that run.

That CRX is a fun little car. Not really set-up well for AutoX, but I can see why someone would want to prep one properly. We have new "OEM equivalent" shocks, with cut springs and modified top hats to lower the car. The tires would still rub under hard cornering, so I couldn't push it as hard as I would've liked.

It should do well as-is with the double-rear bar on the track... not sure if I'll AutoX it again, but if I do I'll try adding rear suspension packers as well.

Actually the way he has it mounted it creates friction at the mounting points where the rubber mount for the extra sway bar is hose clamped to the OEM sway bar. This is preventing the OEM sway bar from rotating in it's normal fashion through the suspension travel. The OEM sway bar pivots at the bracket that hangs down from the body. I'm willing to bet that he would get the same effect if he took out the extra sway bar and just clamped the rubber parts to the OEM sway.

But I agree. The extra sway is nothing but dead weight and potentially a hazard if the hose clamps were to let go.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP