Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TX front plate law.

Texas just needs to get with the program and not require a front tag at all, like 19 other states.

Or, perhaps those 19 other states need to get with the program and join the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Surprisingly even with the larger MSM Miata radiator in it it was still getting hot on the kid when she got stuck in traffic. So I cut the tie wraps and threw the plate in the trunk. We will see if we still have issues next week.

So tell me, does she realize how big a deal it is to drive a car that cool to high school?

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    So tell me, does she realize how big a deal it is to drive a car that cool to high school?
    Nah she is a teenager.

Actually she likes the car quite a bit she even washes and vacuums it without prompting!

Nah she is a teenager.

Actually she likes the car quite a bit she even washes and vacuums it without prompting!
    Too bad she doesn't like her room and laundry as much.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I just put a plate in front to avoid getting pulled over... Id rather not hear half of what they have to say. Why give em a reason to piss you off? lol

Put plate on. Tagged for 11 over with laser. Took laser target...err...plate off.

I'll take my chances and avoid having the bulls-eye on my car. A black NA without a reflective front plate is virtually invisible to laser.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Put plate on. Tagged for 11 over with laser. Took laser target...err...plate off.

I'll take my chances and avoid having the bulls-eye on my car. A black NA without a reflective front plate is virtually invisible to laser.
    I think the checkered stripe on your car actually confuses the laser.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Put plate on. Tagged for 11 over with laser.

So no plate means no speeding ticket........ hmmmm.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Surprisingly even with the larger MSM Miata radiator in it it was still getting hot on the kid when she got stuck in traffic. So I cut the tie wraps and threw the plate in the trunk. We will see if we still have issues next week.
    If it is hot in traffic but not on the move the plate has no effect on cooling while stoped. Clearly getting enough air flow while moving. I would think it would be fan related. Make sure you have good connections and check voltage. Just because the fans are spinning does not mean they are pulling enough air.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    If it is hot in traffic but not on the move the plate has no effect on cooling while stoped. Clearly getting enough air flow while moving. I would think it would be fan related. Make sure you have good connections and check voltage. Just because the fans are spinning does not mean they are pulling enough air.
    You may be on to something but once the plate was removed the car has been fine. I know both fans are working guess I need to check some amperages to see if they are in spec.

Removing the plate fixes it? That is odd. Fixes it in very similar conditions? Same ambient temp same road surface?

I would guess you have an air flow issue (bad fans) or a coolant flow issue (bad pump not circulating enough fluid at idle but getting by when under load that is benefitted from forced air flow from the car moving at speed).
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Keep digging.

Fans are highly sensitive to pressure/load. My first guess was a dead fan too, but it isn't unbelievable that the extra restriction could have pushed the fans off the efficiency cliff.

I lived in DFW for about 5-6 years with no problems, no front plate on my Miata.

I moved to Austin and got a ticket within 3 days for it.

Back in DFW

If I get an Elise (which I'm shopping for), I might get a custom Euro-style front plate, or run no plate. Not sure which one would be less likely to get me in trouble.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

You guys seem more worried about it than I am. Pulled the plate and the car has been fine and dandy for a couple of weeks now.

You guys seem more worried about it than I am. Pulled the plate and the car has been fine and dandy for a couple of weeks now.
    I worry about you... and how you stalk me.

I'm thinking of the children.

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    I worry about you... and how you stalk me.
    LOL! *Buick stalk FTW!*
    Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I'm thinking of the children.
    Me too! I had her add Miata Solutions to the phonebook in her iPhone.

I have not run front plates for 20 years, but about six years ago I started to receive regular tickets for it. When I built my current Miata I went ahead and stuck a plate on it, but made it as difficult to see as possible and mounted it outside of the grill. I've had a number of cops do double takes thinking they caught another license plate scofflaw, but they eventually see I have a plate up front and don't hassle me about it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast