Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '97 Miata M Edition build thread

Very nice. Most of out gauges are green back lit though in the aviation world. Still sounds like it'll be sharp though! I'd like to see it when you are done. Are you doing the Warbird HVAC panel too? I don't know if you ever saw mine, and the script on it, but it is very aviation inspired. I don't think Adam would charge you a custom fee if you wanted to replicate that as he already has the templates built. Ditto for the 'flying M' logo.

Quote Originally Posted by MC70 View Post
    Very nice. Most of out gauges are green back lit though in the aviation world. Still sounds like it'll be sharp though! I'd like to see it when you are done. Are you doing the Warbird HVAC panel too? I don't know if you ever saw mine, and the script on it, but it is very aviation inspired. I don't think Adam would charge you a custom fee if you wanted to replicate that as he already has the templates built. Ditto for the 'flying M' logo.
    The red back lighting was decided by the '99 BMW 540i i use to have and the Audi's my friend has had, i LOVED the red interior lighting. I do plan on doing the Warbird HVAC panel and i saw yours and its pretty much what i wanted with the 'Flying M' and all. Great minds think a like!

Given that I'm an old fighter pilot and have flown behind both red and green . . .:

Aircraft lighting was always red in the old days. Red preserves your night vision . . . but for reasons you might not suspect . . . read on:

Green was adopted for several reasons:
    1. Night Vision Goggles compatibility (red makes NVGs flare).
    2. The wavelength of red is really long compared to green. For most people, that means red is hard to focus compared to green (since we evolved as diurnal mammals, our eyes are optimized for yellow and green). Ironically, it is the hard to focus aspect that prevents our eyes from reacting to the red light -- thus preserving night vision.
    3. A HUD has to be visible in daylight and it was really hard to give red enough brightness to be visible in daylight.

So, the philosophy in aircraft changed from medium/high-intensity red to low-intensity green for night flying. Personally, I like green much better.

As for driving, you don't have any night vision anyways since you're always staring at the headlights of oncoming traffic. Green is a FAR better choice function-wise for quick-glance data acquisition.

But, aesthetically, either works so have at it. Just thought you should be aware of the science.

It's kind of like the high-end watch commercials that always show young "fighter-pilots" wearing expensive, heavy watches. Do you know what we really wore in the fleet? Casio's. And not the high-end G-shocks, but the small, lightweight $20 versions. They didn't weigh you down under G-forces and they held up to the abuse of sea duty. Form vs. Function. LOL.

^ Yup. I found out a whole bunch of that during the altitude chamber 'flights. We are starting to adopt blue now, which has a very long wavelength but can be tuned closer to green. The blue is a more calming color (green actually induces nausea) and is still compatible with NVGs.

I too prefer green, though in the car I prefer amber backlighting as it is warm without looking angry or hot.

Blue has a shorter wavelength than green. Look at a rainbow . . . . Violet is shortest, red longest.

Also, it is the wavelength that gives the color. If you "tune" the wavelength, you change the color. They're the same thing.

??

I think we may have strayed off-topic though.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Blue has a shorter wavelength than green. Look at a rainbow . . . . Violet is shortest, red longest.

Also, it is the wavelength that gives the color. If you "tune" the wavelength, you change the color. They're the same thing.

??

I think we may have strayed off-topic though.
    Correct.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Yes technically you change the color but as we can only see within our spectrum there are a lot of wavelengths that fall within the color we see as blue; the NVGS compatible blues are closer to green but cooler. And yes, red is longest in the visible spectrum (which is why it is the first color lost when scuba diving).

We are off topic. The Warbirds will look great. :)

12-23-13: Installed a Mr Gasket Daytona shift ring and boot..hard to argue with it for less than $12 and ALMOST a perfect fit!

I am still gathering parts for my Revlimiter gauge install which stinks having to wait but will be worth the wait!

PS: You may notice along the way similarities between my choice of mocifications and MC70 and thats due to the fact i chose to do a fighter plane theme which as it turns out MC70 is going for a aviator theme(didn't realize this till i already made up my mind and reading his build thread on another forum) and some of his choices have influenced mine, so hope I don't disappoint.

Took advantage of the sell Adam had during Thanksgiving and ordered the Wardbird gauges with a 10 o'clock zero postion, then screwed up installing the oil gauges TWICE and after seeing how popular the Warbird's are I decided to get a custom tachometer done. My advice to all thinking about getting custom gauges: 1) Think out very carefully about EXACTLY what you want and 2)Provide Adam with as much information or pics to get your idea conveyed; otherwise you will be a pain like me.

I also shaved down all the needles and painted the underside of the tips red to match the Westach gauges I'm going to use, which is what the logo on the tach was inspired by.

Still not ready to install in the car. I have a Track Dog Racing oil pressure gauge kit to install(basically a oil psi sending unit), needle caps on the way and will more than likely wait in install so i can get a KG or RS products gague panel. Have ordered many other goodies so stay tuned!

01-10-14: Received a Runabout fuel lid today from Rod (Tetsuya Garage) and it looks great as he said and got it installed, first exterior mod!

I like the fuel lid. The gauges though are just incredible! I mean they are out of sight awesome, stunning..... like a Victoria's Secret model of car parts.

Now the shifter surround, sorry to say I'm not a fan. If you want an ugly B&M T handle shifter, I will give it to you plus $40 for your nice Nardi :).
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Thanks AnthonyS! Cant wait to get those gauges installed!
    Just some pictures...

Picked up a Flyin Miata butterfly brace yesterday locally and will be installing today!

Told myself I was going to wait to post pictures until I got all this is installed but I couldn't resist.
    First, Revlimiter HVAC panels and Zero Automotive knobs, button and ring:

and Revlimiter vent rings, Revlimiter custom Warbird Edition key chain and Revlimiter custom Warbird speedometer:

close up of key chain:

As the owner of the world's ugliest BRG '91, I'm quite a bit jealous. Your Miata is just gorgeous. I love the new AC / heater controls and those gauges are too sexy.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

The M is upside down on the keychain. Those gauges and HVAC controls look awesome!

Thanks AnthonyS and effse7en! :) That is the idea...its a W, for Warbird.

More goodies from Tetsuya Garage, thanks Rod!
    Zoom cf mirrors

and KG Works gauge panel

Stay tuned to see these beauties installed!

Spoiler Alert! Just ordered a MS3 basic from MS Labs and FCM 2040 Elite coilovers from Shaikh, so wonderful times ahead!

02-10-14: After four months of collecting parts and first having a custom tach and then custom speedometer made, I FINALLY have my gorgeous Revlimiter gauges in and no pictures can do them justice, especially cell phone pics:

02-16-14: Another "gem" from Rod (Tetsuya Garage), Zoom carbon fiber mirrors. Although they have smaller mirror areas, the convex tinted glass really makes for great visibility and they look AMAZING to boot!

Couple "beauty" shots:

Got home from work just in time to meet the UPS man and get this box of goodies!!

Plan is to get my Megasquirt 3 basic and get my car tuned in its NA form and then in 3-4 months install the supercharger...plans can change though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12