Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Fun!!

Default Cell Phone Fun!!

Well my Sprint contract is up next month at $91.00 a month for my current plan I'm thinking it is time to look around and see what other options are available.

I hardly ever talk on the phone my bills show mainly text and Data.

So what are you TCB kids doing these days for cellular service?

I've been really pleased with Tmobile overall, and their pricing structure just got a whole lot better, assuming you either bring your own phone or don't mind buying theirs on installment/buying unlocked on your own. The big caveat with Tmobile is that the service is awesome in urban areas, but so-so rural. There are lots of times at MW and Crandall where my data is slow (1g/2g) and dead spots on long drives. Since I don't leave the metromess much, it works fine for me.

The no-contract aspect is good, as is the unlimited data (they set speed limits after your allotted data package, but it doesn't charge extra or stop). Their phone prices are actually competitive, based on some recent reports on c.net or one of those other sites that compared the actual cost over 2 years compared to a subsidized contract phone.

I found ATT wireless to be as irritating as all their other services - crappy customer service, decent phone/data - but not stellar, constant billing errors and tough-to-follow pricing that seems to change as the various promotions fall off.

Everyone I know that has Verizon wireless loves it, says it always works great, coverage everywhere, fast data, and you pay for it. If you want the flat-out best cell service, they are it, but not really a bargain (unless you depend on it for business)

Lots of folks using the Walmart prepay stuff these days with success, but seems like its a little more effort and trade-offs to get the value.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Same to report on T-Mobile. I was with them for almost a decade. Great in the city (for work) bad in the country (for recreation). After canvassing people that had great reception AND great data in the places I wanted it, like on rural highways, at tracks, at Pikes Peak, etc... and after being rebuked by T-Mobile to make good their phone insurance, I went with Verizon. From my studies, they cost more. And some people I know have had their admittedly complicated billing screwed up by Verizon. But, I get great service everywhere I want it and I don't pay too much.

I use Verizon. I've never had a complaint but they are pricey. The data service is fast and available everywhere I travel. I have 5 phones in the family and pay dearly. I just hate to give up something that is working so well.
    Brian

Life is fun with the top down!

Driver
    Blog Entries

Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network, and for $35 a month (plus taxes and such), I get unlimited text and data, and five hours of voice per month, which works for me, since I mostly communicate through text and email.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

We had Virgin Mobile for 3-4 years and I was paying $25 a month, but it was painfully slow.

We switched to Verizon not long ago, and like most things in life you get what you pay for.

Driver

Have sprint. It's cheapish (not pay as you go cheap) but the coverage pretty much sucks. I'd go with vz if I could justify the extra 75 a month.

I've heard tons of bad about sprint coverage, and I had it and dumped it when I moved to dfw from east coast 13 years ago for the same reason. Have not had any coverage issues w/ TMob (I'm cool like that) within the metromess, and I get good phone coverage on most major corridors in TX. Data, pretty mediocre outside of 4G areas, but its fast when I have it.
    Polished Turd Racing

Virgin Mobile. 4G in many areas and decent coverage (though I have found some rural spots around the country where I couldn't even get a radio station, much less a cell signal).
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I'm Metro PCS and have never had a problem with them in the last couple of years. I get signal almost anywhere near interstates and surprisingly in many very remote rural areas now. I get unlimited minutes and text for $40 a month (total including all the bullshit taxes and fees) but I don't have a smart phone so I don't know data results. I think if I bought a smart phone the rate would be the same but not sure and I certainly wouldn't know what the bitstream rate is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I'm Metro PCS and have never had a problem with them in the last couple of years. I get signal almost anywhere near interstates and surprisingly in many very remote rural areas now. I get unlimited minutes and text for $40 a month (total including all the bullshit taxes and fees) but I don't have a smart phone so I don't know data results. I think if I bought a smart phone the rate would be the same but not sure and I certainly wouldn't know what the bitstream rate is.
    Its because you and Jerry Jones have the same kind of phone!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Just jumped from TMobile to Verizon. Verizon is not that much more $$ for me to switch. With the company and Fios bundle discounts, I am paying around $25 dollars more/month from a plan with 2 smart and 1 dumb phones, 750 minutes talk, 1 line unlimited text and unlimited data on 2 lines, to 3 Iphone 5, unlimited talk/text and data I can change every month ($8/2 gig after discount after the first 2 gig). With TMobile the data and talk signal at my work was painfully slow to the point of close to being useless! Verizon had been great for me.

When I made the switch, I found out a couple TCB tricks! You can take the competing best deals on Verizon phones and ask the Verizon store too match. I saved $150 on 3 Iphones just my asking! Also, if you have Fios, you can get $10 off extra/month. However, there is a catch to this. You have to go to a Verizon store that also sells Fios to sign up for the new cell service and have to specifically ask for it. Officially this discount does not exist if you don't ask at the right time and right person!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Just jumped from TMobile to Verizon. Verizon is not that much more $$ for me to switch. With the company and Fios bundle discounts, I am paying around $25 dollars more/month from a plan with 2 smart and 1 dumb phones, 750 minutes talk, 1 line unlimited text and unlimited data on 2 lines, to 3 Iphone 5, unlimited talk/text and data I can change every month ($8/2 gig after discount after the first 2 gig). With TMobile the data and talk signal at my work was painfully slow to the point of close to being useless! Verizon had been great for me.

When I made the switch, I found out a couple TCB tricks! You can take the competing best deals on Verizon phones and ask the Verizon store too match. I saved $150 on 3 Iphones just my asking! Also, if you have Fios, you can get $10 off extra/month. However, there is a catch to this. You have to go to a Verizon store that also sells Fios to sign up for the new cell service and have to specifically ask for it. Officially this discount does not exist if you don't ask at the right time and right person!
    I also asked and not have to pay activation fees too!
    Gabriel

I've been with AT&T and all it's various incarnations since I got my first cell phone. It's not the cheapest service but it's always been good. I have unlimited data (grandfathered in) and have no plans to change either. I also have U-Verse and no complaints there either.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I like my AT&T, but it's definitely not cheap on the ol' iPhone. On the plus side, I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data, and the coverage is excellent around here. Plus, I've never had an issue with billing or customer service. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a bad experience in an AT&T store. As such, I've never really shopped my service around, although Verizon has my interest piqued since I've had such great service with FiOS.

My folks switched to Sprint from AT&T years ago and they still bitch about it. The coverage sucks, and "DIGITAL ROAMING" is the most fun thing in the world to deal with when vacationing in such backwoods places as Santa Fe. When I let them borrow my phone, I tell them how happy I am with AT&T, but they're too TCB to switch back. Go figure.

Don't get me started on U-Verse, though. The folks have it, and it positively blows. The operation is counterintuitive. The internet is slow. The hardware is unreliable. The billing is screwed up about every other month. You name it, it's a problem. I'm not sure I'd even recommend U-Verse over standard cable.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network, and for $35 a month (plus taxes and such), I get unlimited text and data, and five hours of voice per month, which works for me, since I mostly communicate through text and email.
    My only complaint with Virgin is the loss of signal in outlying areas. If you stay in urban or along the freeway, you're okay. Get out into the stix and your stuck. Love the plan price, and the data is good as well.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

AT&T here, with two iPhone5s. We pay for my wife's and mine is a company phone.

I travel to some pretty remote areas for work and I have found that AT&T seems to have the best coverage. Our local techs in Arizona are on Verizon and are always out if coverage in many of the mines I visit whereas I have coverage.

We've had AT&T personal phones for the last fifteen years. Not the cheapest out there, but good coverage and no billing issues.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wife is on $45 Straight Talk (AT&T) unlimited talk, text and data.

I am on $30 T-Mobile 100 mins Talk, unlimted text and data.

Both are pre-paid no contract.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Just checked out the latest Straight Talk offering, looks pretty damn good at $45 unlimited everything (2.5G data @4g), an dits AT&T GSM network... My plan expires 12/8, gonna consider this.
    Polished Turd Racing

I never understood why people have issues with a cell phone contract. It's not like you aren't going to have a cell phone. I just upgrade every 18-24 months. I'm on contract but so what?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast