Thread: Scion xB?

Suspension Modder

Default Scion xB?

Howdy all,

I'd like some OTM opinions, and it seems like this would be a good place to start...

I am looking for an inexpensive, fuel-efficient, practical 4-door vehicle that can handle 2 young kids and haul loads of stuff if needed (my wife does decorative painting as a hobby and sometimes sells her wares at craft shows). It should ideally be something reliable enough that we can drive it for 7-8 years with only routine maintenance.

We're thinking about a Scion xB.

Yes, it looks like a shoebox, but it's cheap (if you skip the juvenile add-on dealer accessories, which we will do), it should be super easy on gas, and it's a Toyota, so we should be able to drive it until the wheels fall off. The best part is the interior. The vehicle's length and width is within 1/2" of a Miata, but it has an interior the size of a small SUV!

Keep in mind that this will be a family runabout. I understand that it has "NOT A SPORTS CAR" written all over it. I'd like something with competant handling, but it doesn't need to be especially fast and/or corner like it's on rails. That's what the Miata is for.

Any opinions on this vehicle? Good, bad or indifferent?
    Chris W. 96M Miata :)

that car is awesome

I used to hate those things. Now I'm starting to warm up to them.

They definitely appeal if you're looking for a vehicle that is both space and fuel efficient, and something about their boxy nature is appealing.

I'd definitely want to drive one before I bought it, though. Especially on the freeway, and especially on a gusty day. I know the xB doesn't weigh much, but neither did my old Civic sedan, and 108hp ain't a lot of go when you're trying to keep up with the flow of traffic.

I would also suggest looking at 2002-2003 Protege5s. The utility of a wagon in a reasonably fun-to-drive package. Low-mileage used ones are hovering around $9k-12k.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'd definitely want to drive one before I bought it, though. Especially on the freeway, and especially on a gusty day. I know the xB doesn't weigh much, but neither did my old Civic sedan, and 108hp ain't a lot of go when you're trying to keep up with the flow of traffic.

I would also suggest looking at 2002-2003 Protege5s. The utility of a wagon in a reasonably fun-to-drive package. Low-mileage used ones are hovering around $9k-12k.
    I've driven an xB briefly, but it was only on city streets and it was an automatic, and I H-A-T-E small-engined cars with automatics (YMMV). A highway-speed crosswind test drive in a 5-speed is on my "To Do" list. :)

Actually, my current OTM is a 99 Protege ES and I love it, so a P5 is another one of the cars on my list. The thing that attracts me to the xB is its ability to handle loads- the P5 is a hatchback, but it's not as tall, the back seat isn't as big (seriously), you have to bend down to get under the rear hatch, and the rear doors don't open NEARLY as wide. A P5 also won't get the same fuel economy- a couple of xB owners I've talked to report that their cars get 30+ mpg regardless of how they're driven, whereas a 99+ Protege won't do much better than 25 mpg city unless you granny shift constantly.

Any other thoughts?

Since you're looking at "Lego cars", how about the Xb's predecessor. The Honduh Element? Dunno what used ones are going for.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

^ I was going to suggest the Element at first, but since I just bought one ill give my opinion.

Theyre great to drive, handle very well for their size, have a surprising amount of power(if 5spd), & theyre nifty as hell, you can haul tons of crap, if your camping & its too hot / cold /raining, hell just lay the seats back & hop in the Element, youll find it almost as comfy as your bed at home.

Now saying that, i'll say this. From your perspective...if you drive it aggressively at all the gas mileage down right sucks(well pretty good for an SUV I guess, im used to a civic though), thats why my wife drives it mostly, when I get in it I usually drive straight to a gas station They also can be kinda pricy for a new one, & havent been out long enough to have cheap used ones, we were fortunate enough to find a used 5spd that had been on the lot way too long, & got a killer deal on it.

All this is of course from your perspective from your first post, theyre great, they fit us perfectly, I dont think theres another SUV out there that would serve us better. But if your not camping alot, & just need a cheaper family hauler, with great gas mileage...the XB(even though I hate looking at them) seems right up your alley!

Just please, I beg of you...stay away from the 19s / bodykits / street glow / NAASSSS...im sure all these are all probably dealer options on the Scions, but be strong, dont give in to the Scion rice craze :P

i know someone that is selling a scion xb 5 speed. PM me and ill shoot you his number.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

not saying you are old but today i passed 2 of them on the way to work and they were both being driven by people older than me. i am only 24 well 25 in august but for the most part i amd seeing more family's in them than 17 yr old ricer type kids

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    not saying you are old but today I passed 2 of them on the way to work and they were both being driven by people older than me. I am only 24 well 25 in august but for the most part I amd seeing more family's in them than 17 yr old ricer type kids
    Actually, the primary reason I originally looked at the xB is because of some very positive reviews from 2 owners I've met- both of whom were men over the age of 40. :o One used it for a craft-show T-shirt business and the other for mountain biking, and both bought it for the same basic reason- no other car on the market is this fuel efficient and cheap yet can hold as much stuff.

In a way, I think that Toyota may have missed the boat a bit with the marketing for this vehicle. They're trying to push it on teenage ricers, but I think its rightful purpose is a resurrection of the long-dead Civic 4-door wagon (remember those?)- an ultra-practical family vehicle that's dirt cheap to buy, sips fuel, lasts forever, and looks dorky, but is capable of hauling loads way out of proportion with its exterior size. :)

Actually, my wife was orignally scared by the juvenile "Phat Pimpin Yo!!" marketing campaign, but warmed up to it after sitting in one at the Dallas Auto Show. :)

i sat in the tc , i am still in the phat ricer yo mentality sometimes
    but for an otm i like the xb, alot, and if i ever save the money that is probably what my next car will be, i get in enough trouble with my civic dx and it is even worse with teh miata.