Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Cheap Bastard Car Battery

Default Team Cheap Bastard Car Battery

My '95 Ranger has been resting in an Ice drift for the past several days. Went to fire it up this AM and barely got a click.....

It has on old ass Walmart Battery in it (dated 2007) that was iffy during nice weather so I guess it may be time to change the battery.

Now the Ranger isn't eligible for nice things and I am cheap. So what is a decent source for a TCB approved Battery? Used or Reconditioned maybe??

Check with the salvage yards . They usually sell them cheap... TCB !

Quote Originally Posted by Jctattoos View Post
    Check with the salvage yards . They usually sell them cheap... TCB !
    The man with the ink has a good plan. Plus, the Ranger battery is probably not as unique as a Miata battery, so it will be easier to find.

Thanks Jctattoos I hadn't even thought of the Junkyard!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 12-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.

I wouldn't be surprised if a good charging brings the battery back to a satisfactory state. Since the temps we have had for the past week are well-below the norm - for the entire winter - its likely that your battery won't repeat this bad behavior in normal driving. Same thing happened to the batt in my 96 which didn't get started for 4 days. After charging it, it seems to be back to normal at 40 degrees.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

2007-2013. R.I.P. it's lived a good life and paid for itself already.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Good point OZMDD but It has been being sketchy for a little while.

Being a cheap bastard from way back I always try and park on incline since it a stick shift.

Here is a helpful video for the youth.

Then I'd go for a late-model crashed vehicle battery. Bound to be some life left in them. I also had some luck with a free Optima I got from the Sam's Club dead battery pile in the service area. I told the guy I was doing a science project demo and could I have one? He said sure and didnt seem to care that I cherry picked a yellow-top. I gave it a good cleaning then a slow charge, and it gave me 2 years in my Jeep.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    2007-2013. R.I.P. it's lived a good life and paid for itself already.
    I got the truck the end of March that battery still owes me!!!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'm guessing you already put the trickle charger on it?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'm guessing you already put the trickle charger on it?
    Nope since is sitting it the neighbors driveway I don't have an extension cord long enough to reach his plug.

Plan to roll start it when I get home and put it my driveway then I'll charge it overnight with my TCB approved Harbor Freight Limited Edition Dick Trickle - Trickle charger!

Actually my Angry Harley Neighbor guy has a fancy charger/tester that I may borrow. Although I'm pretty sure this battery will not pass the test.

File Photo of Ranger Recently Resting....

Good thing you have a yellow truck…your ass is so tight, light won't even escape.

Drive across town to Pick n Pull and pay $40 for a POS used Bat-tree.
    stick it in Yo seff and hope it last a year or so, but understand it will fail when KK drives it, and it won't be close.

Or go to the corner O'Reiley and pay $120 for one that they will install and will last another 6-7 years,…..get back by the warm fireplace.

No issues, and no worry in the back of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Drive across town to Pick n Pull and pay $40 for a POS used Bat-tree.
    stick it in Yo seff and hope it last a year or so, but understand it will fail when KK drives it, and it won't be close.

Or go to the corner O'Reiley and pay $120 for one that they will install and will last another 6-7 years,…..get back by the warm fireplace.

No issues, and no worry in the back of your mind.

While I know many people try to live by the quote, "A penny saved is a penny earned." don't forget another one. "A stitch in time saves nine." Sometimes saving a buck in the long run costs you more money in the end. A new battery will have a pro-rated warranty. I just warrantied one at O'Reilly's and it cost me nada. Now if you are just getting one to get the truck running until you can sell it, get a junk yard juice box.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Autozone sells a brand new one for your truck for $109.99 installed. The WalMart battery also lasted a long-time and you can probably get it for $89.99. How much cheaper does it need to be??????
    Brian

Life is fun with the top down!

About $70 cheaper to qualify for TCB status on an old Ranger.
    Polished Turd Racing

Hell, that's a new Ranger in my book............I will give him two fiddy for it and come haul it off..........

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Now the Ranger isn't eligible for nice things and I am cheap. So what is a decent source for a TCB approved Battery? Used or Reconditioned maybe??
    I understand the TCB credo and I can appreciate it for what it stands for, but... how far do you take TCB on the Ranger? Do you save the spent motor oil out of the Miata, strain it through a cheese cloth, then use it in the Ranger?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I will take the Ranger off your hands even with a dead battery for two fifty! If you have Costco, they have good batteries at reasonable price.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    About $70 cheaper to qualify for TCB status on an old Ranger.
    At least someone understands me!

Hmm, strained miata oil sounds like a great idea for the truck! After its done three rounds in the Caddy, of course.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast