Thread: Wanted: Manual steering rack for NA

Chassis Designer

Default Wanted: Manual steering rack for NA

Wanted to buy: Manual steering rack for NA.

I've got my 1990 NA engine compartment in tear-down, and it would be a good time to remove my power steering rack and go back with a manual steering rack.

The rest of the complete power steering system is available also(just pulled it out, working great).

Jay Johnson

Don't forget that you need a PS delete setup for your acc belt.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

just depower the rack you have. If you're looking to put a cam in it you're going to end up in SSM or DP anyway.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I don't think he's worried about SCCA classing.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Don't forget that you need a PS delete setup for your acc belt.
    You can also take the guts out of the PS pump and leave it there freewheeling. The delete pulley is rare, expensive, and supposedly weighs almost as much as a gutted pump. Open up the pump and simply pull the impeller and related stuff out, took me like 5 minutes. If you don't have AC disregard this.

Dont forget if you're going all the way to depower the rack, pull the pinion and get it welded at Vorshlag. They know what they're doing and charge like $25 or something cheap.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Chassis Designer

I was informed that the manual steering rack has more rotation lock to lock, and making it a bit easier to turn.
    That's in additional to not having to push fluid against seals etc.

Also, concerning the PS delete. Up to now I simply removed the PS belt, for A/C delete also.
    I actually fee really productive by removing all the unnecessary(for me) weight from the car.

Jay Johnson

^ The more turns also supposedly lends to the "bus" steering feeling, as opposed to less turns has a better gokart feel. Haven't driven a manual rack miata personally but my depowered P/S rack feels awesome on my 94. It was also free (minus welding the pinion). Someone else maybe can chime in if they've driven both how pronounced the difference is.

I wouldn't worry about the steering difficulty. With 15x8s at +25 offset, it drives like a regular manual steering car, requires some muscle but its not terrible. I still need to get my car alligned so that could make it a little lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJohnson600 View Post
    I was informed that the manual steering rack has more rotation lock to lock, and making it a bit easier to turn.
    That's in additional to not having to push fluid against seals etc.
    Also with a proper depower, you're going to be knocking out the seal and draining the fluid anyway. Basically if you go all the way with it you end up with a manual rack with a faster turn ratio.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 01-02-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Chassis Designer

With all the weight reduction I've been doing, I might see how I like the steering when it's all put back together and make a decision at that time.

Thanks for the info.

Jay Johnson

The manual rack feels great, and is better at parking lot speeds, but is a slightly slower ratio. You'd likely never need the faster ratio outside of autocross. It certainly doesn't feel like a bus. The factory R-packages came this way, and I've never heard a complaint from owners. I went from a poorly depowered rack to a true manual on my 92 and was pleased with the better feel.

Having said that, I think a properly depowereed rack is just fine, and much cheaper.
    Polished Turd Racing

I had a manual rack in my '99 Sport, and compared against several powered rack cars on the street, at autocrosses, and on the track. OZMDD is right - the only place I preferred the powered rack was at a slalom intensive autocross. Or parallel parking (which I do maybe once a year). Everywhere else I preferred the manual rack.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

I made some calls and I was able to get a salvaged manual rack for 65 delivered.

Jay Johnson

I've also driven a powered (my car when I first bought it), properly (as in disassembled and seals removed, along with a welded pinion gear) depowered rack (my car now) and a manual rack. I much prefer the depowered over the manual for the quicker ratio, and with normal street tires, I've found that the effort is completely manageable. But for street driving only, I would say you made a good choice with a regular manual rack
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Its a terrible idea. You should sell it to me for a loss.
    Polished Turd Racing

I depowered my rack and everyone loves it. Cost? $17 plus shipping - http://www.advanced-autosports.com/i...0a4e5e79380e1d

How do you depower it? drain all the fluid as best you can. then steer it as fast as you can left to right lock to lock (cover holes with towel to reduce mess). put plugs in. DONE. Took me about 15 min total. The ratio is LESS EFFORT than the 2 manual racks I had in my 94R and 96R. And less effort than Iain's old 99 sport (which resides here in Houston).

So enjoy having to turn the wheel more and the hours of extra labor :\

I also don't care about classing in my miata so much. That's why I went the depowered route.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    And less effort than Iain's old 99 sport (which resides here in Houston).
    I still miss that car sometimes. I hope Stanley is taking good care of it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

lol something like that It looks better than if I had owned it...how bout that lol

Every time I drive a stock miata i want to punch kittens. I don't know how I raced in stock so long in one :\ I could to an 07 MSR but no NA or NB stock cars anymore. HATE the seat now. :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX