Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Club Trials - Jan 24-26

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Further clarification from Mr. Neff...

Update regarding Miata (and S2000 et al) eligibility for the Club Trials event.

The new 2014 Time Trials rules state that convertible vehicles operating with the factory roll over protection system are allowable and that other convertibles should have either a factory hardtop or a 4-point roll bar, but also state that open top vehicles should use arm restraints or run with the top up. I brought this to the attention of the SWDiv Executive Steward at the Annual Meeting Saturday specifically regarding whether or not we could allow Miatas to run, and he advised that convertibles are typically allowed to run as long as they run with the soft top up or the factory hardtop in place.

So not only are Miatas with roll bars that work with tops eligible to run, but Miatas in general are eligible to run provided they have a factory top (hard or otherwise) in place. This applies to PDX/Level 1 and Club Trials/Level 2 events only but since we haven’t yet progressed to Level 3/Track Trials it does apply to the upcoming event at MSRC.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

So what's up with the 'Confirmed' vs. 'New' status?
    I was the 4th person to register and I'm 'New'.
    Also their showing 26 people registered.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    So what's up with the 'Confirmed' vs. 'New' status?
    I was the 4th person to register and I'm 'New'.
    Also their showing 26 people registered.
    Not sure, but if you need someone to validate your track experience let me know.
    M3 is always the answer.

At SCCA board meeting last night (Monday), solo folks were talking about getting everyone cleared based on track experience. It is a formality that will be updated via the software program. Be patient, no worries anybody. I must comment on two other things: SCCA is PUMPED that this "feeder" system--moving people progressively faster on track--is robust and could emerge in a life of its own. Second, I think in 25 years in the SCCA, I have never seen the SCCA hand the keys to the kingdom (track time w officials and corner workers) out like this. Encourage everyone you know to participate...oh and expect to be asked to join the SCCA.
    My thoughts only, I do not represent any group or organization.
    Best,
    Paul

I just heard from them, he was working down the list and just hadn't gotten to me yet.
    So all's well.

I'm looking forward to running with SCCA, I hope this one works out and they can continue to hold these type events.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

I'll be there too. Ive run the 3.1 multiple times and ridden on the 1.7 but never driven it so Im pretty excited. I wish i had better tires for this event but it looks like i might be running the Dunlop z101's on the track...power oversteer here we come
    '92 Mariner Blue [1.8 swap finished!]
    UTA Formula SAE -Driver/Fabricator

Ken O, hows the clutch? Can it be replaced by Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Ken O, hows the clutch? Can it be replaced by Saturday?
    Hopefully. Parts are in, clutch going in, need to go pick it up in Houston.
    M3 is always the answer.

Lots of fun today. A little cold this morning, but it warmed up nicely in the afternoon.
    After the second session, we were lined up according to lap times, which gave a lot of laps with open track.
    I'll sign up if they have another.

Anyone have video from this event?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

I took a few pictures, available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwor...7640203913655/

Full resolution versions are available on the site. You are welcome to use them freely.

Mark Wortham
    SS #197 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Results are posted from the SOW Div Polar Prix Club Time Trials on 01/25/14 -

Best Raw Times:
    http://texasscca.org/images/document...T_Raw_Time.pdf

Best PAX Indexed Times:
    http://texasscca.org/images/document...rix_CT_PAX.pdf
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

So how many #1's were out there? At least 3 Miatas and several others.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    Anyone have video from this event?
    Not a great video.... But you do get to see Amy and Ken briefly, as they disappear into the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N75SRjoTgE

This was a really fun event. In the video I am trying to turn off the traction control and start my lap timer because I got distracted watching the open wheel races. Lots of cool cars out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
    Not a great video.... But you do get to see Amy and Ken briefly, as they disappear into the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N75SRjoTgE

This was a really fun event. In the video I am trying to turn off the traction control and start my lap timer because I got distracted watching the open wheel races. Lots of cool cars out there.
    Did they finally let supercharged Elise's in super stock?!?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Good driving. Awesome laps 3 &4.
    Autocrossers see a cone and think about getting close and backsiding it... Like good auto crossers do. It's ok to be a few feet away when at speed.
    Outbraking a Miata and Bimmer...schweeeet.

Paul

Nope. Not really sure where they got the SS for me. I have never signed up for an event in SS, but have run in SSM. Only at the end of the event did I hear they were going to use autox PAX for some results. Superchaged Elise like mine would still be SSM or XP depending on weight.

Wow, looked way fun. I feel like I need to get my heel-toe up to par before I try this though...
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    Wow, looked way fun. I feel like I need to get my heel-toe up to par before I try this though...
    Brad,

It was really fun. Everyone seemed to have a great time. This format has a lot to offer, even over a track day at a driving school. Totally open track is nice, but it is more fun to be running close to another car/driver that is similar in lap times. That way you can learn from them and get instant feedback when they are doing something right in one area or corner on the track. The time trial format guarantees you are sent out with similar speed cars around you. You don't get stuck in traffic or have much faster cars on your butt to worry about.

I would not worry about getting H & T down before trying this. It does help when braking at the limits, but just rev match and have fun, you would still be super fast in the corners!

As a result of the SCCA school event, I earned my SCCA competition license after our last Group 3 school session was folded in with the Pro racers.
    I'm excited to check that off my bucket list--now I go back to SCCA race administration for the remainder of 2014 (sigh).
    It was fun.
    Best,
    Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast