Thread: Truck and trailer?

Default Truck and trailer?

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but...

So I bought this Miata, which was a track car in OK, and made it street legal again. Apparently in Texas you have to get your vehicle inspected before you can register it.

Anyone have a truck and trailer who could haul it the 3.7 miles to the closest shop who could inspect it?

Cheapest towing a I could find was 50 bucks one way. I'd rather pay/food&booze someone here.

I'm in garland. Off lavon and namen school road. Across the street from fire wheel mall pretty much.

As a current Police Officer in DFW area, I would not write you a ticket if you had a bill of sale and told me you were on the way to get it inspected 3.7 miles away from your house. Just sayin. (that may not be true for all officers.) Do you have a temp tag on the car currently? that would help too.

You could always buy a temporary tag for $30 that is good for a month. That's the easy way to do it. That's what I usually do if I don't feel like a scofflaw and just drive it without stickers.

Why not just drive it over there if it's only a few miles? Even if it doesn't pass for some reason, you'd still have proof that you're attempting to get it inspected for the drive home. The odds of being pulled over within 4 miles just for an inspection sticker are pretty low. Even so, if that's was all you got a ticket for, you could probably still provide proof to the court that you got it inspected and get off cheaper than renting a trailer. just my
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

No temp tags for the car was given. I went up to get it registered before I knew about inspecting first and they told me I'd have to tow it.

Where would I get a temp tag? They didn't offer it to me at the registration office.

Just be sure you have insurance on the vin, and you shouldn't have any trouble.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yep, insurance, title, and paperwork from the office saying what I need from the inspection place.

Well, I made it there. Lol thanks for the boost of confidence yall.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Did it pass?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

They are testing it now.

New header, cat, muffler, plugs, wires, and fresh oil change. It better pass. Lol.

If it doesn't pass, you may not have gotten the catalytic converter warmed up enough, you may have to drive it more,
    at least you'll have your failure paperwork.

Good luck, I bet it passes.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Who hoo! Passed.

"Man fun little car"

Should I be worried what kinda driving they did in it in the time it took? :p

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Be happy - don't worry! Enjoy.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    No temp tags for the car was given. I went up to get it registered before I knew about inspecting first and they told me I'd have to tow it.

Where would I get a temp tag? They didn't offer it to me at the registration office.
    It's too late for you, but you get the temp tag at the tax collector's office. The same place you get your regular plates.

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    It's too late for you, but you get the temp tag at the tax collector's office. The same place you get your regular plates.
    Interesting, I asked if there was anything I could do as a temporary fix while I wait for the affidavit from previous owner to be mailed to me. They told me "no", I would have to go downtown and apply for something then bring it back becuase Im not a "dealer".

I think shes was just giving me BS because it was nearly time to go home. Anyways, inspections done now.