Thread: Would you have an interest?

Default Would you have an interest?

I have had an idea that I really don't know if it would work or if it could be done, but this bunch might be the right group to try it with.
    The idea is a a team speed trials match.
    (Look out I am flying by the seat of my pants here.)
    What I mean, is an idea of getting two teams of miata drivers and there cars to choose up sides and run (?) laps at a time at MSR. The best of the (whatever number) laps is your lap time. So if each team had eight miatas it would be the eight cars best laps added together for a team score.
    My idea was to approach Jack at MSR about doing this on a weekday afternoon during DLST. Maybe start around 4:30 to 5:30ish. Have a warm up session and then run your time trials with how many ever cars you want to run at once to have clean laps.
    The idea is a little competition, a little social, a little track time, and on Jacks's side maybe a little business for MSR when it doesn't put the members out. I am not sure of the track rental for something like this (even though I am a member.) But during the week it might be economical enough for it to work. I know that MSR is a long way for the Baja Oklahoma boys north of 635, but once a month during DLST might be worth a little drive. There may be some time constraints on how late the Cresson folks allow cars to run. Heck Raymond, Brian, Kurt, and Chris might stay late and work if we gave them "a little something for the effort". Maybe something like the Dali Lama giving Carl "total consciousness".
    Anybody got any ideas on if it would work, be attended, or is this just another goofy idea?

Mac

I would definitely be interested in something like that... but I promised the wife no more open track with the Miata until we bought another daily driver.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I would definitely be interested in something like that... but I promised the wife no more open track with the Miata until we bought another daily driver.
    I'm in the same boat. Very interested, but until I finish the project car I'll be watching jealously from the sidelines.

RJ

Any clue on the cost?

Perhaps someday, but I really am not comfortable with tracking time with my limited driving skills. If I am watching the clock, I suspect my competitive nature would cause me to drive beyond my abilities.

Id be down...as soon as I get a roll bar, well depending on the day, during the week would be definatelly hard to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Perhaps someday, but I really am not comfortable with tracking time with my limited driving skills. If I am watching the clock, I suspect my competitive nature would cause me to drive beyond my abilities.
    Ah, come on. We need a yellow Miata on each team

I'm in, MAC, as long as you don't let Keith use his 2.0 toy!!!!!!! You realize that his will require some sort of rules. The only fair way would be to all use the same Miata......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    You are instructing tomorrow right? I would love to have you riding with me, and then you can tell me if I am ready!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    You are instructing tomorrow right? I would love to have you riding with me, and then you can tell me if I am ready!
    I'll be there...either in Sunny, or Dimples(95 Laguna blue w/white hardtop). I've never had Dimples on the track and she has a terrible alignment, but I may try anyway :)
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Merv,
    I figure we would be able to work some kind of handicapping system that would make the teams be pretty equal. I would have no problem with some people using the same car. Hey I just come up with the basic idea, you smart people need to refine an implement!

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS
    Merv,
    I figure we would be able to work some kind of handicapping system that would make the teams be pretty equal. I would have no problem with some people using the same car. Hey I just come up with the basic idea, you smart people need to refine an implement!

Mac
    I think I have more than my share of handicaps already