Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Swap Build Thread

Well done Sir!

I've snooped around this before and noticed that outfit in Cleveland that sells a lot of LS engines and trannys. Just curious whether you looked around locally?

Nice write up. I'll be watching this for sure.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Engine Builder

can you also include prices?

Quote Originally Posted by S2K_MoZo View Post
    Wow, that is some crazy progress. You got almost a whole swap done and I'm still being lazy about the shifter rebuild on mine. How long did it take you to do all that and how long to collect all the parts? Interested to see how much a swap like this would cost as well :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    I've been collecting parts Nov-Dec. I starting doing the engine work when I had free time during that period as parts showed up. I've spent maybe 3 hardcore weekends on it so far (work on the car from 8am-midnight, eat whataburger, pass out, wake up and get working on it again).

My estimate all in all including the car ($5500) and the xidas ($2000) already on it is $25k. I was keeping a spreadsheet, and around the $15k mark I stopped. The $15k covers pretty much everything, I figured another $3k for the big brake kit, radiator and fans, and misc (nuts, bolts, blades, tools, etc).

I did make $1200 by selling the drivetrain.

So all in all just shy of $24k for the whole thing. But for that $24k I am getting around 500hp in a fortified chassis that will stick to pavement like glue. I could just buy an econobox for the same price.

Which reminds me... I do have a harddog sport roll bar in good condition with all hardware for sale (haven't posted it yet).

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    Wow, great progress! Are you sure you are an accountant???
    I work the pole on weekends for the car cash...

jk

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Well done Sir!

I've snooped around this before and noticed that outfit in Cleveland that sells a lot of LS engines and trannys. Just curious whether you looked around locally?
    I did look around and found that most were high mileage (150k+). I did find a few lower mileage ones, but they were from individuals. What I liked about cleveland was that they had a good reputation, engine was very clean, they provide all the specs (compression, oil pressure, vacuum, etc), video of the engine running, and a 6 month warranty. To me, paying a little extra to get that reassurance was worth it.

Chassis Designer

Thanks for all the details. It sounds pretty exciting and loving the build so far.

On a separate note, is it double diagonal rollbar that fits with glass soft top by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by S2K_MoZo View Post
    Thanks for all the details. It sounds pretty exciting and loving the build so far.

On a separate note, is it double diagonal rollbar that fits with glass soft top by any chance?
    The one I'm selling is the M2 sport. It fits the glass soft top, but does not have diagonals. Looks like the one below:

I upgraded to the M2 Hardcore Hardtop Double Diagonal.

Engine Builder

for around 24k to have a car that can hang(or make cry) with pretty much anything on the highway or the twisties is going to be very nice.

Yeah, bang for the buck I don't think it could be beat. Honestly though, you could get creative and pull this off for much cheaper. You could get a smaller roll bar or a used one, you could buy a camaro, part it out, and get the engine for "free". I'm running the full flyin miata exhaust, you could have it done at a shop. You could go with the stock shifter, stock clutch (both which I am upgraded), could use a "universal" style radiator and save money there, skip the BBK and just throw new discs and aggressive pads on there. You could probably get the axles and drive shaft through the driveshaft shop or source them from a local shop.

I think you could realistically pull off a v8 swap for under $10k - but, I think you won't be fully utilizing the chassis, and you're going to have things that will need replacement short term.

My $0.02

I love my Miata and all Miatas as much as the next guy, and I would love a V8 in mine, but I think bang for the buck goes to the RX-7 (FC or FD) with an LSx. The swap kits are stupid cheap, easy to perform, and you still have a great handling and fairly lightweight vehicle.

That said, the build looks awesome, and I can only imagine the grins you'll have when it's finished. Good luck!

Here is a quick video that summarizes where I'm at now.
    I'll follow up soon with pictures and details...

Friggin' AWESOME. When am I going to see this beast at MSR-C (you can be my guest)?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Friggin' AWESOME. When am I going to see this beast at MSR-C (you can be my guest)?
    Hmmm ...soon!! :) It'll be a bit until the car is done and I have a chance to get used to it.

Update!

The final test fit... had to throw the covers on - sexy.

Putting the rear diff and subframe together.

Getting all my chassis modification welded up.

Welding work done. In retrospect, the mods did not require all that many cuts.

Modified tunnel

Stitch welded

Door seam stitch welded

Corner brackets and trans tunnel brackets welded up.

V8R Fender brace installed. All the welded areas had seam sealer applied then a layer of rubberized coating.

Door bars and roll bar installed.

Update!

Working on routing the wiring harness and figuring out what will hook up and where.

Stage 1 of the harness done. I integrated the wiring for the mazda coolant temp sensor and aftermarket oil pressure and temp sensors.

Wiring harness done and installed on engine. Clutch slave and lines installed, upgraded shifter installed as well.

Cleaned and painted the engine bay. Welds all sealed and coated. Not in this photo, but I installed heatshielding material as well.

Most of the structural work completed.

Corvette fuel filter/regulator, fuel lines, and upgraded pump installed.

Going in for the last time...

Frame rails installed... locating holes for the transmission cross member

One of the most beautiful sights to see when swapping in an engine... shifter is perfectly centered in the hole.

Rumble rumble

Update!

Wiring hooked up, brake lines re-routed, fuel line routed, upgraded clutch master installed...

Trans cross member installed, drive shaft, rear diff, subframe etc all installed.

Exhaust in

Gauge cluster fully operational... I'm going to mount an aftermarket oil pressure/temp gauge in place of the factory oil pressure gauge.

Rear suspension and axles installed. New bushings, new bearings, new hubs, ARP studs.

Everything tucks in so nicely...

Believe it or not, with the tubular subframe there is actually an ok amount of space to get your hands in and get work done.

Most folks view... Need to adjust the exhaust tips just a bit...

Fenders on... starting to look more and more like a car...

WANT!!!! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up!
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

You've been busy!! I'll bet you're sore.

I caged my red car over the weekend. I'm sore today.

My silver car dropped cylinder #2 on track Friday afternoon. Hmmmm . . . maybe it just needs more cubes.

Seriously, beautiful work.

Chassis Designer

Shiny new parts! Love the attention to detail!

Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast