Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TX Region SCCA Autocross #1 - Sunday, March 16, 2014 - Pennington Field

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Yep, just trying to ease off the line and they would light up.
    Hmm, I wonder if it's too much car for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    That is a very good point!

Maybe, Monday morning I was thing about going back to the S2000, but I will give the Corvette a few more events and see if I can get a handle on it.

Starting to think the guys that said that the Corvette will not work on street tires were correct.

Toyos might be a solution, but better bring a really big sprayer once it warms up! I think you just have to wait for warm pavement.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Toyos might be a solution, but better bring a really big sprayer once it warms up! I think you just have to wait for warm pavement.
    I am sure that warmer pavement will help a lot. We have had a run of cold days for the events this year.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    It wasn't limited to the Z06. I had the same problem in the S2000. Any throttle off the line and they just spun.
    That was just your oil filter coming loose again and spraying down your rear tires with mobil 1

We all know S2000's have no torque....or soul.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 03-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I think the event went about as well as could be expected with that many people. The weather made for a long day, and working a two hour heat (1st heat) in those conditions is never fun.

I think part of Greg's frustration (which I shared as well) was that we stood out in the cold for hours, but never really stood a chance competitively. The Hankooks were so much worse in those temps than the Rivals or the Toyos. Jon and John ran their first two runs on Rivals, swapped to Kooks and immediately went 1.5+ seconds backwards. SCCA run format compounded it, because there was no way to get any heat in the tires.

That's not Texas Region's fault. But to stand out in those conditions for so long and realize after first runs that you didn't really stand a chance was very frustrating.
    I was not a big fan of the Rivals in the past on both the Miata and the S2000 and I was convinced that the Hankooks were faster for my driving style. After todays back to back test I know what tires I will want to run when its cold outside or if the course was going to be short or maybe if I were a single driver at a Tour or had run in the 1st heat. I still like the feel of the Hankooks better but only when you can get some heat into them or the surface isn't cold.

I learned to drive by watching the Dukes of Hazzard & Smokey and the Bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by LugNutJon View Post
    I was not a big fan of the Rivals in the past on both the Miata and the S2000 and I was convinced that the Hankooks were faster for my driving style. After todays back to back test I know what tires I will want to run when its cold outside or if the course was going to be short or maybe if I were a single driver at a Tour or had run in the 1st heat. I still like the feel of the Hankooks better but only when you can get some heat into them or the surface isn't cold.
    Pretty much my feelings too. I like the Hankooks better, but I will take the Rivals if it's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Maybe, Monday morning I was thing about going back to the S2000, but I will give the Corvette a few more events and see if I can get a handle on it.

Starting to think the guys that said that the Corvette will not work on street tires were correct.
    It will always be a struggle to put the power down on street tires. Turn in and steady state will be fine. Maybe even good. Good luck.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    It will always be a struggle to put the power down on street tires. Turn in and steady state will be fine. Maybe even good. Good luck.
    Hmm, sounds like too much power is a BAD thing. I guess that's what makes the Miata (and MINI) so fabulous!!
    Polished Turd Racing

I guess I will chime in here since I was the only one taking tire temps.
    When I was running 2nd heat air temp was about 57. After two runs tire temps did not go above 63.
    The other CSP car on Hoosier saw the same thing.

Handling. The car went from rear twitch in transition at the prior weeks bus lot event to a bad push at Pennington.
    Both cold windy days.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    Handling. The car went from rear twitch in transition at the prior weeks bus lot event to a bad push at Pennington.
    That why I do not run a rear bar on the Bus Lot (or anywhere else, really), but I run a big RB rear bar at PMS.

Thanks now I know. Rear bar was not connected.
    That why I do not run a rear bar on the Bus Lot (or anywhere else, really), but I run a big RB rear bar at PMS.

I had forgotten that I always ran a rear bar at PMS. Good point.
    Polished Turd Racing

Conversely, I use a stock bar at concrete sites and a heavy front bar at TMS.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345