Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Miatas at Hallett - 9/12-13/14

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Unfortunately, I hurt the engine on the 4-2 downshift at turn 2.
    Bummer, was that in the final session on Sat?
    Video looks good. That was the next to last session Sat, right? Lot's of open track.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Lot's of open track.
    Show-offs with your cars still running at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    Rick -- I should know the answer, but what did you use to record and what app?

that sure beats my GoPro
    I'm using an iPod Touch and an XGPS150a 5Hz Bluetooth GPS. Capable of 1080p, but I usually record in 720p because the video only takes half the memory space and it's still more than enough resolution.

Write-up on the install here:
    http://www.miataturbo.net/build-thre...6/#post1100556

I've used CMS Laptimer in the past. It has a great grip circle display. It also creates its own track layout so super easy to use. But it forces you to use 1080p mode and has some bugs.

Now I use TrackAddict HD. Great video, very bug free. Allows 720p which saves a lot of space. You do need to select the track ahead of time though and the grip circle isn't nearly as nice as CMS.

A lot of people like Harry's laptimer, but I haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Bummer, was that in the final session on Sat?
    Video looks good. That was the next to last session Sat, right? Lot's of open track.
    No, hurt the engine Friday afternoon. There was no blowby and no oil consumption (i.e., bottom end was fine), so kept running it. You probably remember that I thought I might have a clogged injector and was running some Seafoam on Saturday. It wouldn't idle worth a darn Saturday but still ran pretty well with revs above 2K or so. I knew it had to be either an injector or valves. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Murphy does not disappoint.

The fast session was the next to last Saturday where you, Neal and I lined up in the first three spots and went at it. Good suggestion. It was a great run and a lot of fun.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

In two days, I did 172 laps total, about 310 miles. My best lap was in Saturday's last session, a 1:37.4 sec. There was only 5 cars in grid for that session, but as many as 20 in one of the earlier sessions. The only thing I did to my car was add gas, check the front brake pads, oil and air pressure. The car ran great all weekend. I didn't have any offs, but I wasn't always pointed in the right direction.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    I'm using an iPod Touch and an XGPS150a 5Hz Bluetooth GPS. Capable of 1080p, but I usually record in 720p because the video only takes half the memory space and it's still more than enough resolution.

Write-up on the install here:
    http://www.miataturbo.net/build-thre...6/#post1100556

I've used CMS Laptimer in the past. It has a great grip circle display. It also creates its own track layout so super easy to use. But it forces you to use 1080p mode and has some bugs.

Now I use TrackAddict HD. Great video, very bug free. Allows 720p which saves a lot of space. You do need to select the track ahead of time though and the grip circle isn't nearly as nice as CMS.

A lot of people like Harry's laptimer, but I haven't tried it yet.
    thanks

Christmas is coming

next time we're together I'll scope out the details of your mount

what iPod mount did you use ?
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

thanks

Winter's coming...
    Fixed that for you.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

what iPod mount did you use ?
    It was just a case I found at Radio Shack that I could secure with aluminum rivets. $10 or so. Nothing special.

Engine Builder

I'm going to add my .02!

Hallett was amazing! I was totally surprised how well a nearly stock Miata handles with a worn out suspension and 320TW street tires! I kept checking everything but the car didn't need anything but gas and a better driver.

This was my first track day, and I had an off in my first session, but it was low speed and caused no damage. Definately awaiting pictures of me in the grass. I almost went off 2 other times, but I kept the car pointed in the correct direction and on track, so I can't complain.

Moonie, I don't know how you can drive such a clean car at the track, that car was the best looking car at the event IMO. Very Green indeed.

Hornet, sorry to hear about your valves, but I'm awaiting pics.

I'll be going next year for sure, will they let me go Friday in the intermediate group if my only track experience is Hallett this year?

I ran a low 1:42 on my third to last session chasing the guy in novice driving the silver NC! I only had the transponder on my car the last 3 sessions, but I'm pretty sure that was the quickest time. To most of you a 1:42 is slow, but it felt fast to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin1824 View Post

Moonie, I don't know how you can drive such a clean car at the track, that car was the best looking car at the event IMO. Very Green indeed.
    Thanks! It is a little nerve wracking. I've only had it back from paint for a few months and I'd hate for something to happen to it... but cars are meant to be driven and miatas are meant to be tracked
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

1:42 is very respectable for a first timer. One of the other novices was running 1:45's.

There is another track day coming up. The North Texas Miata Roundup will be at Eagles Canyon Raceway on Oct. 24th, a Friday. The registration fee is only $60.

http://www.internetcarclubs.com/Even...undup2014.aspx
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    1:42 is very respectable for a first timer. One of the other novices was running 1:45's.

There is another track day coming up. The North Texas Miata Roundup will be at Eagles Canyon Raceway on Oct. 24th, a Friday. The registration fee is only $60.

+1

Get at least 3 or 4 more track days locally before next year. 1:42 is good for novice but slow for Intermediate and that's the benchmark for for Friday.

It's been a while since i had been to a Miata event at hallet. I did go two weeks prior on 2 wheels and thought the track looked good so i decided to take my car.

Not sure what times i ran on Saturday as i forgot to turn on my cell phone lap timer... Probably not that accurate anyway. But Friday i ran 2 sessions and was pretty consistent at 1.31 - 1.32 i can only assume i improved the next day with warmer tires and Different tire pressures.

I had the pleasure of being an instructor for Dustin whom did great for his first time out. It was nice to see the strides he made through out the day.
    Blah blah blah!

Advance group session 3 me and zig running together.

Tire Warmer

[QUOTE=hornetball;305323]Good times. Did it both CCW and CW. Friday was in the wet. First session was like ice. Saturday was a gradually clearing cold front day with highs in the low 60s. Good temperature for Rivals, too bad both rears are flat-spotted.

Sorry about the engine - hope it's fixed soon... Nice laps/times! What size tires were you running?

Quote Originally Posted by antraasa View Post
    Sorry about the engine - hope it's fixed soon... Nice laps/times! What size tires were you running?
    I'll have the head back on Tuesday and the car will be driving Thursday evening. Got another track event to get to!

It was actually fortunate because the exhaust camshaft was starting to grind the cam saddles/caps. Apparently, machine shop didn't clean the head well enough before putting it together last time. Caught it early.

Got 2 new Rivals to get rid of my flat spots too! Should be golden. The Rivals are 225/45R15s.

Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    ...miatas are meant to be tracked
    Truer words have never been spoken. I was pleasantly surprised with how fun the car was in mostly stock form.

Now I think everyone who owns a Miata needs to do some sort of HPDE.

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post

Interesting. Do you know if it will be short course or long course? If long, I'm pretty sure my brakes won't take the abuse of those super long straights, but thats just from me looking at the map. $60 is insanely cheap though...

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    +1

Get at least 3 or 4 more track days locally before next year. 1:42 is good for novice but slow for Intermediate and that's the benchmark for for Friday.
    When I go next year, if I can go Friday, I bet the CW orientation will completely throw me off for a session or 2. Is there a certain time needed to be in the intermediate group? I don't mind being the slowest in the group, but I don't want to make an unsafe situation either.

Yeah, your probably right. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, but even though the tires I had on the car were decent and new, they certainly were nowhere near RS3 or Rival grip levels. I don't think I could pull off anything much faster with the current setup without tons of seat time. The car is heavy(for a Miata) and still has all of the creature comforts and a beat up stock suspension. Also keep in mind 1:42 was my quickest, not my norm that day. I was 1:43 pretty consistently without Mike in the car. I only ran the transponder the last 3 sessions, I was focused on learning safety and learning to watch the flag stations during my first 3 or 4 sessions.

Another track noob named Dustin Nation was driving that cream colored NA. It wasn't prepped at all, but had some really good 200TW tires. He turned in some 1:39's . Between being lighter than me and the tires, his car had a ton more steady state grip than mine. Makes me want some better tires!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I had the pleasure of being an instructor for Dustin whom did great for his first time out. It was nice to see the strides he made through out the day.
    Mike,

You were a great instructor! My first stride was making a pass in session one, immediately followed by a stride into the grass LOL!

Maybe next time at Hallett I will cure my early/over braking habits. I bet it would take a second or more off my time just by fixing that into turns 1 and 2 alone.

One of the hardest things to learn that day was keeping my foot on the gas through most of the turns. It's just a natural reaction to let keep the foot off the gas when my car was running out of grip. It was an amazing moment when I finally realized the solution to that was to just give it more throttle!

Default Miatas at Hallett - 9/12-13/14

For ECR high temp brake fluid and better than stock pads are an absolute must in my opinion, even for a novice.

If you've been bitten by the track bug, I highly recommend getting practice on PC with a quality physics based simulation. iRacing is great but has a subscription fee. Assetto Corsa is a solid and affordable sim. Even Gran Turismo can be valuable training. You have to understand that these sims are NOT a substitute for actual track driving, but there is so much you can learn and practice in a sim. It is fantastic brain training that turns into muscle memory. Oh, and you really have to get a wheel and pedal setup that has a clutch and a stick shift to get max benefit out of it. I'd probably even offer some sim-instruction if you're interested. I'm not the best driver or the fastest, but I think I'm competent, aware, and safe. I think those three skillsets will enable you to have fun and decent enough pace.
    Last edited by MoonieGT; 09-19-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Yep. Motul RBF600 and some HPS or HP+ pads are a pretty cheap and safe combo even for ECR, and will still be a setup you can live with on the street.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    For ECR high temp brake fluid and better than stock pads are an absolute must in my opinion, even for a novice.

If you've been bitten by the track bug, I highly recommend getting practice on PC with a quality physics based simulation. iRacing is great but has a subscription fee. Assetto Corsa is a solid and affordable sim. Even Gran Turismo can be valuable training. You have to understand that these sims are NOT a substitute for actual track driving, but there is so much you can learn and practice in a sim. It is fantastic brain training that turns into muscle memory. Oh, and you really have to get a wheel and pedal setup that has a clutch and a stick shift to get max benefit out of it. I'd probably even offer some sim-instruction if you're interested. I'm not the best driver or the fastest, but I think I'm competent, aware, and safe. I think those three skillsets will enable you to have fun and decent enough pace.
    I used to play Gran Turismo a ton(3 years ago), but haven't really played any others sims. I didn't have the wheel with stick shift and clutch though. Aren't those setups kinda expensive? Also keep in mind, my computer is a decent quad core laptop with 6GB ram and SSD, but it is still a 4 year old laptop now, and I don't want to fry it, I have to use it for running stress analysis and also simulations. I think I need to pop off my ECU and apply some fresh thermal paste, I hear that it gets old and crumbly after a billion heat cycles.

One thing holding me back from something like this is definately time, I'm a senior ME student, and an intern at a Aerospace Company. Thanks for the suggestion, it seems like something I would enjoy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yep. Motul RBF600 and some HPS or HP+ pads are a pretty cheap and safe combo even for ECR, and will still be a setup you can live with on the street.
    I'm not necessarily worried about the fluid, I have a pressure bleeder and a stock of ATE SuperBlue. The fluid is less than a month old. I would be worried about these pads at ECR, they have plenty of life left, but they are some unknown pads that came with the car. They held up fine at Hallett, but that track isn't so hard on the brakes.

Luckily, I have a set of Stoptech Street Performance Pads on the shelf, I guess all I need is rotors, I don't feel like taking these rotors to get machined, and I won't just swap pads and call it good, the new pads won't properly bed in without a clean, machined surface. Now that I think of it, I have a set of rear rotors on the shelf with less than 1000 miles on them. I guess I only need front rotors LOL, I'm thinking I have to go to ECR now!

This all started because of you, Rick!

ECR looks like a fun track, but I think they should repave, my car won't do too well with the worn out shocks. It looks quite rough in videos.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast