Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Buick.....

Default Bye Bye Buick.....

So Vern our 2012 Buick Verano 2 year lease ends on May 30th. It has been a great trouble free car.

But time marches on. Really haven't looked all that hard for replacements but guess I need to get my head in the game.

Couple of cars that pique our interest in no particular order:
    • 2014 Nissan Altima
    • 2014 Mini Hardtop (non-S)
    • 2014 Mazda 6
    • 2014 Toyota Corolla S
    • 2014 Buick Regal

We are only looking for new and we want another 24-36 month lease with 12,000-15,000 miles a years. So far that has worked well over the past 7 vehicles in a row.

This time around we are going to become empty nesters with KK's acceptance to OSU this fall. So I'm wanting to keep it on the cheap side of the spectrum since we know we are going to be sending large sums of cash to Oklahoma. The Mini is on the list since SHMBO thinks we might want to get something "Fun" this time around.

Anything else we should be considering?
    Last edited by POS Racing; 04-21-2014 at 10:08 AM.

How about the VW Golf / GTI?
    '09 Marble White

Minis look like so much fun, but I can't think of another car with a worse reputation for reliability. Everyone I've known that had one has had many troubles. One says she seems to be back at the dealer every 2k miles for some new issue. Do some research and make sure you're comfortable with the Mini before you buy...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

I am loving my MINI, and the 2014 has a much more exciting engine and some cool new technology. They have some of the best residual values in the industry, which makes them much better leases than some other awesome cars (why we didn't end up getting a Verano ourselves last year.)

I probably would have gotten a 2014 Mazda3 hatch if the residual was better.

I also suggest you look at Subaru. The Legacy 2.5 my wife has is a very nice car, roomy, peppy, and Subaru also has high residual values. We got the Limited (I think) which is only 1 step above the base in subaru trim levels, and it has plenty of stuff. The car has none of the annoying FWD tendencies since it is AWD, and it is quite fun to drive for a sedan. I also cannot rave enough about how well it drove in the ice storms this winter, and made it almost so easy that it wasn't much of a challenge (kinda kills the man-protector ego thing). Subaru also has great deals on the Impreza line, which includes base WRX's if you really want some fun. The 2014's are getting nice lease subsidies right now. We had no problem getting the 2013 in Jan of 13 w/ 15k miles/year and 2-year maint for around $220/mo and <$1k/dn. We put more down than we initially agreed to because we paid for the add-on window tint up front instead of rolling it into the finance.

Car has been flawless, looks great and gets good MPG's.

I would have taken a really good look at the new Mazda6 if it had been available when we were leasing last year, but it doesn't appear to have the high residuals it needs to get the best lease values.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Minis look like so much fun, but I can't think of another car with a worse reputation for reliability. Everyone I've known that had one has had many troubles. One says she seems to be back at the dealer every 2k miles for some new issue. Do some research and make sure you're comfortable with the Mini before you buy...
    Granted I haven't had mine too long, but I think this reputation is exaggerated a bit. Also, bear in mind that this is a lease we are discussing. I would never own a BMW product of any kind out-of-warranty, based simply on the cost of parts/labor and complexity. Same for Benz and Audi, VW to a lesser degree.
    Polished Turd Racing

All I'm saying is go in with eyes wide open. That's good advice about not owning out of warranty.

Re Subaru: I got my '12 WRX base hatch from Sewell Subaru. They have been awesome to work with. So much so that I couldn't get myself to even look at other makes. I just ordered a 2015 STI from them last week that I hear should be here mid May. Can't wait! If you're going to go to Sewell, ask for "D" and tell him Allen sent you.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

We also bought from Sewell and have been really happy with the service. Free carwashes and a well-appointed waiting area with a kids section make my wife very happy too. Every appointment has been on-time or early.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by neirbot View Post
    How about the VW Golf / GTI?
    We went and looked a VW last week and came away totally unimpressed. They seem to be about 5 years behind on everyone else when it comes to features, technology, and amenities. Guess I don't fit the VW demographic.

Plus my Grandfather wasn't a fan of the Germans since they spent several years trying to kill him when he visited Europe during WWII.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Leasing it lessens my concerns somewhat since I'd never own it. But the interwebz seem to be very hard on these cars. More BMW parts content for 2014 seems like a good thing but who knows..... I'm hesitant. Also the German part bothers me a bit (see above).

The Buick never had to go back to the dealer for anything but free oil changes and free tire rotations which was nice.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 04-21-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Focus ST? Fun and practical
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was actually going to suggest that he consider the Focus and Fiesta ST flavors. Not sure if Mrs POS wants that kind of ride, though.
    Polished Turd Racing

The STs look nice. The fiesta in particular lools like a blast to me.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

I sat in the FiST at the Dallas Auto Show just for giggles, and I felt a bit cramped in it. In my FoST I have no issues and am rather comfortable. I love the seats, nice and supportive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm sure the Focus is much nicer, more livable, more capable, and more practicle. It's the smallness and weight that I think would make it so much fun.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

We are not a fan of the Focus or the Fiesta.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    We are not a fan of the Focus or the Fiesta.
    What are you, the Borg?

Seriously, at least drive one of the Subie's before you rule them out.
    Polished Turd Racing

Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    What are you, the Borg?

Seriously, at least drive one of the Subie's before you rule them out.
    We aren't a fan of any of Fords current offerings. We also had several really bad experiences with several Ford Dealers and the Ford Regional Offices with an Expedition that was an absolute turd. That 36 month lease couldn't end fast enough for us & we still hold a grudge.

Heck I don't even know where a Subaru dealer is on the west side maybe Abilene? We did own a Legacy Outback back in the day it was a tank!

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    The new WRX is definitely worth test driving. It has gotten rave reviews. I don't think I've seen a bad review. Even the CVT has gotten praise. In sport # mode it mimics an 8 speed auto, and it apparantly does it quite well. I personally want nothing to do with the CVT, but for others not wanting stick it may be a great option. As for styling, it's subjective. I can tell you that the WRX looks better in person than in the pictures Subaru released. Sewell had one of the preproduction cars around the time of the Dallas Auto Show.

As good a value as the WRX is, I just couldn't pass up the STI this time around. I've got a Lightning Red base STI coming in around mid May. Now the daily driver and the track miata will have ridiculous wings
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

There is one on 820, I believe, Hiley. Huffines up towards Denton.

Just noticed that they are incentivizing the 2013 MINI's even more now. $179/mo on the base Cooper, $219 on the S. You might also take a look at the Paceman. A little bigger, but still very sporty. Just like Leilane's Countryman but a 2-door.
    Polished Turd Racing

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Isn't there a Subie dealer right there at Highway 10/820? Near DPS office (sort of).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast