Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #6, Guns and Hoses benefit. August 24th Lone Star Park

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    That is not all that was incorrect. The three cone element from 0:19-0:22 was substantially slower in the earlier heats.
    Well, that kind of screws the PAX standings for the entire event. Either way, had a good time.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

David was it missing a cone or was the cone out of the box?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

The correct number of cones were there. My guess is that a cone was in the wrong box. Early in the heat after a few people raised concern about the area they held the start and Wortham went out to fix it. My guess is the original box markings were gone but there was an old mark nearby.

No big deal IMHO. And definitely something not to get worked up over. Stuff like this happens from time to time.

Thanks OZMDD for hooking me up with a new helmet. Can't wait to put it to use.

Also, it was nice to meet your Jim & I'm probably going to have to take you up on your offer to co-drive the next time the wife needs a break from baby duty on the same weekend as an AutoX event.

The correct number of cones were there. My guess is that a cone was in the wrong box. Early in the heat after a few people raised concern about the area they held the start and Wortham went out to fix it. My guess is the original box markings were gone but there was an old mark nearby.

No big deal IMHO. And definitely something not to get worked up over. Stuff like this happens from time to time.
    This. The correction Mark made after 1 run in the 3rd heat didn't really make any difference for allowed cars like mine. I think the course was interesting and presented different challenges than what we've seen at LSP so far. The vertical gates throughout the course were favorable for HP cars unless you drove them very aggressively. I finally found the 59's by sacking up on the very first vertical gate. The off camber surface made it tough to trust the grip, but it was there.

Thanks to everyone for braving the heat and sharing water and shade. There were no issues with overheated participants, and over $2000 was raised for Guns n Hoses.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    I stopped for a corner worker looking for a box and I had to point it out to him.
    That was me, haha. I'll definitely be checking all the cones in my area before start from now on (especially at LSP). It was pretty crazy in that corner at the beginning of heat 2. The cars were spaced really closely.

Fun course, though!
    2004 Mazdaspeed Miata- Velocity Red (sold)

Chassis Designer

Yep, agreed. I noticed the cone was out of place during the 3rd heat. Most drivers were already flat by this part of the course - but it may have been worth a few tenths???

David - Are you guys still using SoloStorm? I have a DL1 and was curious if I should link it to SoloStorm or buy the GPS interface. Also curious to hear if you are overlaying GoPro video via bluetooth or using the tablet camera.
    Last edited by Clovis; 08-25-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

You volunteering to buy it?
    Polished Turd Racing

If that is what it takes for everyone to have a fair & "Square" (pun intended) playing field ... I'll pitch in for a couple cans.

Don't forget to work it out with the site owners, too.

First, the chalk boxes are a time-tested and effective marking method. Second, it makes no sense to spend $50-100/event to buy aerosol marking spray. Third, it is extremely rare for an event to be meaningfully impacted by a misplaced cone, but that is part of the sport. I've had hero runs negated by a timing glitch, competitors at a national event get reruns that gave them a tire-warming advantage, etc, etc. Its just one of many things that can affect an event. SCCA had several events with pouring rain in one heat and dry sunshine in another; you think the novices in the first heat got a fair shake, or the pax rankings are realistic? Nobody got bent out of shape over it. Its a fun sport and should not become SRSBZNS over something like some shifted cones or weather. I am certain that similar instances have gone completely unnoticed at other events, and if someone notices a cone is drastically misplaced and chooses not to report it, shame on them. I had them hold start and get the course designer as soon as it became clear that there was a problem. Ironically, my times improved after the issue was fixed.

We strive for ER events to be safe, challenging, fun, safe, fair, prompt and safe.
    Polished Turd Racing

Sorry I missed it. The guys in OKC needed a safety so I went up there to help out.

Just use color sidewalk chalk on lighter surfaces. Buy me.
    M3 is always the answer.

I think I have seen Steve E use a large grease pencil as well.

Lumber markers or kiddie chalk is what i use.

Mark noticed the cone on his first run in the 3rd heat. He went and fixed it almost immediately. Our times improved each run after that so the cone out of place made little difference.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
    you volunteering to buy it?
    not in the budget!
    "If it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make cents"
    Neon Deion Sanders

Back in the olden day’s of Autocross a corner captain would look over their own part of the course and if there was something that needed re-chalked they would have one of the corner minions chalk it again. And if you as minion tried to protest the corner captains wished he would burn you with his smoke just so you knew who was in charge.

Heck I recall events where a cone could be chalked multiple times during an event.

Those were simpler time where the men were men and problem were taken care of on the fly, not the next day on the intwebz……

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123