Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new game: Forza motorsport for x box

Default new game: Forza motorsport for x box

The big X-box racing sim is supposed to be released this thursday. Forza motorsport is supposed to be like GT4 I believe. Someone with an X-box should get this and report back... I don't have X-Box yet, but if this game is good, I'd get an X-Box, Halo 2, and Forza.....
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Expect my full review next weekend... I've been playing Pro Race Driver 2 for the last half a year or so to get my competitive gaming racing fix... The X-Box has some fantastic racing games (not driving, per se - GT4 does pretty well for that), and I fully expect Forza to be a fantastic addition.

Pro Race Driver 2 is about $14 at Gamestop when you get your Xbox, BTW... and it comes with Collin McRae Rally.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Expect my full review next weekend... I've been playing Pro Race Driver 2 for the last half a year or so to get my competitive gaming racing fix... The X-Box has some fantastic racing games (not driving, per se - GT4 does pretty well for that), and I fully expect Forza to be a fantastic addition.

Pro Race Driver 2 is about $14 at Gamestop when you get your Xbox, BTW... and it comes with Collin McRae Rally.
    Yes, I meant driving sim... U have 10 times more posts than me!
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    Yes, I meant driving sim... U have 10 times more posts than me!
    I didn't mean to argue with racing/driving... I was just pointing out that I think the best racing (as opposed to driving) sims are on the Xbox, and I think Forza will be another great one - in fact, it may well turn out to be a great driving sim to boot!
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

ive played the demo version at work, feels pretty good, dynamics wise. graphics are very good.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

you can also rice out your car like on underground
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Woo-frickin-hoo!

Just a couple quick comments to start off the morning (and sell a bunch of Xboxes...)

Driving game: A game that simulates the experience of driving a car. Other cars may be present on the track, but they tend to drive around in a neat, organized procession without paying much attention to where you are

Racing game: A game that simulates the experience of driving a car while 7 of your worst enemies try to occupy the space directly in front of you by taking advantage of any little mistake you may commit

About 50 million years ago, I played this nifty game from Microprose called F1GP World Circuit. I had played Stunts and Test Drive and they were cool - back in the day of CGA and EGA on the PC. They were cool driving games. F1GP was a racing game - well... simulation, actually, but that's another story. And it was instructional! In the early levels of difficulty it included a "best line" driving aid that painted a stripe on the pavement. It even had a mode where the computer did your braking for you - which was a darned good thing, since missing a braking point sent you hurtling off through the grass, sand pits and into a flurry of F1 parts as you hit the tire barrier.

Now, we have a racing game on a console. There have been others - Pro Race Driver 2 and Moto GP 1/2 for the Xbox come to mind, but none with real potential for mass appeal. The car customization features, the wide array of licensed cars and damage! modeling give Forza the potential to truly raise the bar in console "car" games.

Did I mention it's online? Since I like to sleep (and keep my job), I resisted the urge, but I have a bunch of e-mails from my Moto GP buddies replete with OMFG's, WTF are you and WTF aren't you online playing this game with us?

Physics are much more impressive than the exaggerated body roll and bump steer in GT4. Sound is fantastic - especially in Dolby 5.1 surround - and surround sound is a huge benefit as you can hear the competition coming up on you as you brake for turns. Or, you can hear them drive up your tailpipe when you brake 50 yards to soon for an upcoming turn.

Don't let me give the impression that the AI is stupid... They'll hit you when you're stupid. And with realistic collision physics at play, a hard nudge under braking from a suprised AI driver can easily send you off into the weeds. Learning the racing line on the tracks is crucial. Which gets me back to where I started... You can turn on the display of the racing line while you're learning.

You'll hear more from me on this game. It'll probably be like my damn tires that I can't shut up about.

<smack talk on>
    I look forward to kicking your butts soon.
    <smack talk off>

Last edited by tailchaser; 05-03-2005 at 07:39 AM.

<smack talk on>
    I look forward to kicking your butts soon.
    <smack talk off>
    Oohh... I'm ...

By the way, did we lose some smilies? I can't seem to find my little horned aggressor dude...

That one?

Or this one?

:viking:

This game continues to impress me. The physics model is much more sophisticated than the GT model. I understand it runs at 250Hz instead of 60, but I think it is also modelling a lot more data than GT.

If you have an Xbox - especially if you have Live! - you must try this game. My DF Pro wheel may be on the market soon as the only interest I have in GT right now is the tracks that aren't in Forza.

If you're thinking about an Xbox, you're welcome to come over and take it for a spin.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you're thinking about an Xbox, you're welcome to come over and take it for a spin.
    Let me know when you break that one!

This game is on sale for 35 at Fry's.

Well... I finally did it... I ran some online races last night. Bwuhahaha!!!

I started out by jumping in to a room with a friend from other Xbox racing games. I quickly discovered that both of my Class A cars were outclassed, although my stock Ferrari 360 CS was hanging on pretty well. So, I took a quick break, drove over to the parts store, and picked up coil overs, brakes, and had Mario install an upgraded fuel/ignition box. That stuck me barely within the limits of Class A. Now it was time to kick some butt.

I rejoined the room just as the host moved us on to the oval track. Just my luck. Really! Apparently in online play, the system still runs a simulated qualifying lap and puts the fastest cars at the back. And there I was. The lights turned green, and I took off boiling smoke out of the rear fenders as the mighty Ferrari tore through first gear. Ten seconds later I was halfway through third gear and slotted in to draft the two lead cars, passing them into the entry to the first oval. I picked up a hitchhiker in the form of a silver Lingenfelter 'vette, and we bump-drafted down the back straight reaching 220 mph and leaving the rest of the field scratching their heads. Three laps later I took the checkered flag and picked up a cool $50,000 (less a few dollars for engine repair after redlining a bit during bump-drafting).

We repeated the oval track race with similar results before moving on to Road Atlanta. In the first race, I misjudged how much acceleration the Stradale could muster and got very loose in turn 1, leaving me tucked between two inexperienced drivers heading up the hill to the chicane at turn 2 where I took a trip through the kitty litter. After dragging back on track, I worked my way through traffic, watching in despair as the lead cars ran off ahead. On the last lap, I caught up with 2nd place as we ran through the tight double-apex turn onto the back straight. I managed a pass under braking at the end of the straight, but his highly modified Subaru STI was able to put down the power and out-accelerate me up the hill. I pulled along side in the last sweeper and it was a photo finish, but he had me by .007.

Have I mentioned this **** is addicting? Hooah!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Well... I finally did it... I ran some online races last night.
    I take it the XBOX online performance was much better than our PS2 experiments?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I take it the XBOX online performance was much better than our PS2 experiments?
    Much. No lag. Very slight stuttering when you've got 4 cars right in front of you at speed, but only at times.

Cool

OK, OK... darn you Tailchaser, now I have to go out and buy another game console. It just sounds too good to resist!

So what do I need to play on-line? Do I need the X Box Online bundle? Then what? Do I just plug it into my phone line and away I go? I have DSL, so I think I'm good to go there...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

All you need to go online is included with the Xbox/Forza. There's a coupon for 90 days free access to Live! in the box.

The easiest/short-term solution is to plug the Xbox directly to your DSL modem (that means no computer while you're gaming). There are instructions with the Xbox for setting this up.

The better/long-term solution is to install a router between your DSL modem and your Xbox/PC. That means you can use both at the same time! Although, gaming performance suffers if someone is downloading big files while you're playing. I'll be happy to help you with either part.

If you have any doubt, swing by the house and try it out, but this is a serious racing fix.

Default My wife wil kill me, but...

I'm heading to Best Buy at lunch...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

She won't kill you until it's 3 am and you crank the volume up so you can hear the Ferrari 360 (not Challenge Stradale, which doesn't sound as fierce) engine scream just a little bit more clearly...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast