Thread: Autocross season scoring

Default Autocross season scoring

Hey all, silly season discussion here...

I just participated in an AZ region event and they do their scoring different from the clubs in DFW. Instead of 9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points per event, they do a 1000 points for the winner and then the remaining competitors in class get points based on how close they were to that time.

For example:
    first place - 40.000, second place - 40.500, third place - 41.800.
    First place gets 1000 pts, second place gets 987 pts, third place gets 956 pts.

I think this system could provide more excitement overall throughout the course of the season One side effect is that it focuses more on consistency over winning.

Discuss!
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

As if autocross wasn't complicated enough....
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Do they score the best 7 of 10 events or something like that? There are a number of clubs that score things this way. Prosolo might have done it that way years ago.
    I guess the catch is you could get penalized by a rain event more than the single point system. Since Texas had about 5 rain events this year it might not show realistic outcomes.

Cone killers would not like the high point system either.

It would be interesting to compare this years results against a prorated point system.

AZ doesn't run in from June-August (like we do from Dec-Feb). They actually split their series into Spring and Fall, best 3 scores out of 4 (plus an unscored special event...sometimes a road course, sometimes a night autocross, sometimes a Mirrorkhana)

That's something I may be able to whip up...after lots and lots of data crunching.

Cone killers probably wouldn't enjoy the point system. An extreme example would be that you win 6 events by .1 but place second in the final event after coning away all your runs and losing by +2 seconds. That would let 2nd place beat you. That's an extreme example though.

Edit: I whipped this up for X class from last year. (Let me know if its blocked) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

TL;DR - Notable jumps - Jones from 15th to 7th, Ledbetter 9th to 4th, Lucas 3rd to 6th, McCann 4th to 8th, Wortham 7th to 5th

When I get more time, I'll look at a closer class in results to see if there's more shift.
    Last edited by BMcCann; 12-22-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

In PAX classes the guys on R-comps would be at a large disadvantage at wet events that would carry over for the entire year.

I think that is what General Default is also saying.

I like it, though I'm not sure the complexity will be easy for folks to figure out when casually examining results and where they stand/what they need to move up. I would prefer a scoring system that results in my beating Michael Parker.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

STU was a close race between the top 4 last year. The results were / would have been:

Sam Graff 1st 46 / 1st 6,910
    Nicholas Schnick 2nd 42 / 3rd 6,880
    Brandon Slater 3rd 40 / 4th 6,861
    Curtis Frisbie 4th 39 / 2nd 6,890

The AZ system does award consistency and counteracts the ringer factor. Scott ran in 2 races as STU and took the 9 points that hurt some people trying to catch up. As well as one race by Grant.

I wonder if ER or SCCA would consider changing their system. I know Andy and Brad are out there...What do you guys think?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

If the new system allows BatLoco13's spreadsheet to predict me to win nationals then I'm all for it.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Done! Now you just have to live up to my predictions!

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    If the new system allows BatLoco13's spreadsheet to predict me to win nationals then I'm all for it.
    Well you have to go to show.

The timing program can do the points. But I don't think ER uses that part of the program. SCCA does use the built in points feature.
    The ER's point system is a little different than other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    The timing program can do the points. But I don't think ER uses that part of the program. SCCA does use the built in points feature.
    The ER's point system is a little different than other clubs.
    No Worries ... I can build a Spreadsheet

Did BatLoco13 just volunteer to be the ER points administrator?
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    Did BatLoco13 just volunteer to be the ER points administrator?
    Would love to be the points administrator. At least this way I won't spend half the afternoon after an event waiting for the times to be posted ...

Truthfully, it's not that difficult to set up. I did the whole thing in about 4 hours with comp runs + time onlys for the AZ region. Excel is magical like that.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing