Thread: Street tire rules at NTAXS, BMW and local SCCA autocrosses in 2015?

Default Street tire rules at NTAXS, BMW and local SCCA autocrosses in 2015?

Does anybody know what the new rules for street tires at NTAXS, BMW and local SCCA events will be this year?

I know ER is staying with 140TW what are the rest going to do?

Doesn't seem to be a big deal all the tire companies will change the TW number to what the SCCA wants to see.

Robert, that's not quite correct. We are going to the same 200TW rule for all Street classes and ST classes, just like SCCA. We have created a stand-alone Tire class that will still allow 140+ tires. That class will not be eligible for Rapid Pax, but it will have its own stand-alone payout for the top 3, sort of like the original Tire class did when people didn't think they could place in Pax on street tires.

We will also have PCA classes available for P-car owners, as PCA autox is merging with ER this year. Cool stuff!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

POS,

I am sure TOYO changed the compound they wouldn’t try and game the system.

OZMDD,

Thanks for the clarification on the ER rules, the street tire class makes a lot more sense now.

I hate to see the loss of standalone PCA autocross events I enjoyed their events at Mineral Wells, but I understand their position.

Hopefully the TT events can be resurrected asap. I definitely think that was PCA's specialty, and would be sorely missed.
    Polished Turd Racing

The NTAXS rules stay the same for 2015 in regards to tire ratings. 140+ is street, and under 140 are R-comps.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    The NTAXS rules stay the same for 2015 in regards to tire ratings. 140+ is street, and under 140 are R-comps.
    Is the 140+ per tire? Or can we add all the tires on the car to get to that number??

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What if I certify that my over a year old 140's are harder than the new 200's?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Is the 140+ per tire? Or can we add all the tires on the car to get to that number??
    I like this, four 40tw Hoosiers equal 160.
    M3 is always the answer.

Lets see if I can got this right without drawing up a big spreadsheet to explain it to myself. If I run my 370z in BS I have to have 200+ rated tires. If I run in the Tire class I can get 140 tires but will still be using the BS index numbers?!

Correct, but you will not be in rapid PAX, just tire class pay out.

You will be using the BS index numbers, but only against other cars in the Tire class. Since there is no index for your car on 140+ tires, it would be unfair to compare your times to the cars operating on the 2015 PAX (based on 200+ tires), so you will not be eligible for Rapid Pax. Instead, the Tire class will have a payout for places 1-3. Theoretically, your index will be a tad softer if you are running sticky 140 tires, though there is plenty of debate on that.

If you want to be in Rapid Pax, then you need to run in an open class or in X (Novice too, but you don't qualify anymore). We won't be checking to see who is/isn't running 200+ in tire class, just 140+.

Easy button answer for you is 200 or above=Tire class or BS, <200 and >140 = only Tire class.

Anyone who is on Street Tires and has no competitors in their open class can run in Tire, as well as R-comp classed cars on Street Tires. Simple, right??
    Polished Turd Racing

Well that puts me in a pickle jar. I'm running BS @ SCCA which I can only have 200+ tires. There was only one BS car in ER last year so I'd rather run in Tire for the competition. But I'd be at a disadvantage running on my 200+ tires. I'd have to buy a set of 140+ tires just for ER. Since I don't have a tire changer I'd have to buy an extra set of rims as well. Who came up with this rule? Sounds like something Andy would do cause he hasn't used up all his 140 tires from last year.

You are not at any real disadvantage in Tire on 200tw tires. The only reason for the distinction is to maintain rules parity with the SCCA-based index system and avoid confusion. Tire class allows folks to still play on older or inexpensive tire options without fear of being protested, class-bumped, etc. also good for our attendees who are built for NTAXS/BMW autox classing and tire rules, which are still at 140.

You can also have head to head competition AND avoid feeling at a disadvantage tire-wise by running in X, of course.
    Polished Turd Racing

BTW - lots of testing hasn't shown that any 140 tires are any better than the current 200 tires, except for the Toyo in certain situations, and it has joined the 200 club anyway.
    Polished Turd Racing

Does anyone actually think that the new batch of 200s will be slower than the 140s? I think that would be a foolish bet.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Does anyone actually think that the new batch of 200s will be slower than the 140s? I think that would be a foolish bet.
    I do if I'm trying to build an excuse bank for loosing