Thread: SCCA re-class

Default SCCA re-class

Looks like no one is running a BS car in the SCCA this year. The SCCA does not have a catch all class like ER's Tire class. What are the rules on moving up a class from what your car actually should be ... i.e. moving form BS to AS?

In general it’s a no-no. As an example depending on the course CS may be faster than AS. So you would need to bump to an ST or SP class that your car is classed in.

Do we want an intermediate PAX class?

It’s not uncommon for someone to run a car in the wrong class to get finishing points for the year and they just want to try out a different car, but it’s usually a onetime thing and no one in the class cares.

I don’t care if you run AS, but with only 1 other car in AS, I may bump to X.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-26-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Yep, X-class is your index option with SCCA. Otherwise, you'll need to try to encourage others to come out and play in BS. Considering the number of Z enthusiasts in DFW and their strong presence at other autox events, it shouldn't be too hard.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Join the gangbang in X.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    Join the gangbang in X.
    I thought about the X class but I came back to my senses very quickly.

There are lots of Z's but they are mostly 350's not 370's. 350 run in CS or in STU. 370 in stock is BS & in touring STR. Which makes no sense to me, but what do I know. I can't run STR because I'd have to downsize my tires from the stock tire size. Again makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    I thought about the X class but I came back to my senses very quickly.

There are lots of Z's but they are mostly 350's not 370's. 350 run in CS or in STU. 370 in stock is BS & in touring STR. Which makes no sense to me, but what do I know. I can't run STR because I'd have to downsize my tires from the stock tire size. Again makes no sense.
    #SCCAProblems
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

The 350/370 are very competitive in every classing option you listed. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    The 350/370 are very competitive in every classing option you listed. Makes sense to me.
    I didn't mean they are not competitive its just the classing of each car that makes no sense. A 350 is a CS car with an index of .814. A 370 is a BS with an index of .826. But when you go to Touring the 350 moves up to STU an index of .844 but the 370 only goes to STR .838. It reverses itself. I guess the same types of Street Touring changes to the 370 make it all of the sudden slower then the 350 when you convert them to Touring cars.

As far as my STR comment. My 370z came with 275's on the rear. STR limit on tire size is 255. So I would actually have to down size my tires from the original tire size to run in STR. Why put a car in STR that comes from the factory with tires wider then your going to allow.

That being said...you should talk to the rest of the STR guys and ask if they would let you drive in that class. Gentlemen's agreements are awesome.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    That being said...you should talk to the rest of the STR guys and ask if they would let you drive in that class. Gentlemen's agreements are awesome.
    I would if I still had the stock tires on the car. but I have 265 in the front and 295 on the rear now. So I'm way over the limit. Not that I think Armstrong, Baily or Gabby feel threatened by my wider tires ... LOL. I do like to stay within the rules. Even when they make no sense at all.

Then run in X. Racing against faster drivers will improve your skills if you take the opportunity to compare what you and others are doing. If you prefer to stay in open BS, that's fine. The 350 seems to respond better to the improvements allowed in ST than the 370 does. Maybe its weight or the diff, or maybe there just aren't enough properly-prepped 370's to move the needle yet. I'm sure that a letter to the STAC would help get a clarification on the reasoning behind the classing. It seems like you've been unhappy with the 370 classing since you got it, but I doubt its going anywhere, except maybe to a tougher class in STU.
    Polished Turd Racing

I thought the 370 was a bit of an overachiever for CS. BS seems a much better fit for the car. I'm confused about the Nismo version only being .03 index points more as an AS car. But that is the fault of the big discrepancy in index numbers from CS to BS. I have no problem running in the BS class, just have no other partners to race against. Hopefully the 2 BS cars that were at ER will show up and stay for the year. I'm still a couple of years away from the X class. I seem to do alright at the TMS Parking lot and road course, but still struggling at Lone Star. It's obviously not the car. Just have to keep getting seat time and figure it out. I wish the SCCA had kept an intermediate pax class like ER is doing with the Tire class.

I didn't mean they are not competitive its just the classing of each car that makes no sense. A 350 is a CS car with an index of .814. A 370 is a BS with an index of .826. But when you go to Touring the 350 moves up to STU an index of .844 but the 370 only goes to STR .838. It reverses itself. I guess the same types of Street Touring changes to the 370 make it all of the sudden slower then the 350 when you convert them to Touring cars.
    Street classing has NOTHING to do with Street Touring classing. Some cars get a lot faster with ST allowances and some cars actually get slower in ST.

As far as my STR comment. My 370z came with 275's on the rear. STR limit on tire size is 255. So I would actually have to down size my tires from the original tire size to run in STR. Why put a car in STR that comes from the factory with tires wider then your going to allow.
    The 370z is too fast for STU. So the choice is either to put it into STR on smaller tires (where it is totally competitive) or not allow it in street touring at all.

Well, the difference with TMS and LSP is going to be setup. You'll need to test pressures and such until you find the formula for the completely different surface and smoothness of the two lots.
    Polished Turd Racing

Run in STR. I don't care what tire size you run. The more competition, the better. That's just my opinion though. Check with the other guys this Sunday.