Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #7 August 16, Lone Star Park

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Someone told me there would be free funnel cakes at every event!!! Where are they?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Someone told me there would be free funnel cakes at every event!!! Where are they?!?!?!
    The setup crew eats them all before anyone else shows up. Why do you think it takes us 3 hours to set-up. We are busy eating Funnel Cakes. It can't possibly take 3 hours to throw a bunch of cones out in a parking lot.
    Last edited by BatoLoco13; 08-19-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! All these peanuts are hitting me in the head. Where is my helmet.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    it takes us 3 hours to set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! All these peanuts are hitting me in the head. Where is my helmet.
    I'm sorry for expressing my opinion and again trying to bring math and logic into the situation. I should know better. I will now return to my cave and shut the fudge up! Sorry for the interruption!

If it were only as simple as you want to make it Jeffery, we wouldn't have any trouble making everyone happy.

Here are some of the considerations to balance:
    -drivers want 6-8+ runs
    -drivers want to finish by mid afternoon
    -drivers want a break to eat/rest/socialize
    -Drivers want the gravel blown off several times per event
    -workers want as short an assignment as possible
    -safety dictates car spacing
    -drivers want longer, interesting courses
    -drivers want competition to be as fair and equal as possible (pax, conditions, etc)
    -novices want instruction, walk throughs, time to watch and learn
    -Some drivers need lots of adjustment And cool down time
    -Timing and scoring must accurately record all the runs, cones, dnf's, break downs, false trips, reruns, etc.
    - heat balancing, run/work order, multi driver cars, novices, etc are all affected by walk up registration, which ER is committed to keeping as an option for drivers, as well as no attendance cap.

These are just a few of the things that go into the process. As you can see, many of them can conflict with one another. So, new ideas are welcome, but not always feasible. Board meetings are short and fun, come out with your ideas.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 08-19-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Andy Cost

OZMDD, you don't have to make everyone happy, just me

It's not a big deal to me either way. Do what ever makes the course workers happiest.

We are actually trying to make everyone happy except Robert. It is working pretty well so far.
    Andy Cost

We are actually trying to make everyone happy except Robert. It is working pretty well so far.
    If that were true. Robert would be the only one complaining ... He's not!

But in all seriousness. I understand what you guys are trying to do (Mike, Andy etc.). And please don't think for a minute that all your work and the masters of the ER program isn't appreciated. It is very highly appreciated.

I realize you can't please all the people. In those situations you have to find the most balanced approach. In simple terms with the 3 heat system you spend 1/3rd of your time working, 1/3rd in grid & 1/3rd resting. With the current system you are working half the time, in grid 1/4th of the time & 1/4th resting. Your making people work longer by taking away rest time and grid time.

I also understand that this current system works in NTXAS and worked in PCA. But those are/were completely different beasts. Those groups you have/had mostly hardcore experienced entrance and limited to a smaller group. Made/makes for a much smoother faster running event. ER has grown too large and transient. And that is a good thing. More people, more competition, more friends to make fun off. Hopefully we can find a balanced system that keeps all these new folks and the old guard around for the long term.

Your feedback is always appreciated. ER is a corporation and actual voting on policy and procedure is limited to board members. We do allow non-board members to attend our meetings and make proposals and presentations. If you have an idea for the perfect run-work arrangement then I encourage you to attend a board meeting and submit your proposal. Board meetings are on the Tuesday prior to each event usually at Marshall's BBQ on Rosemeade in Carrollton or at Alfredo's in Lewisville. You can email me for more details on the time and location if you would like to attend.

I definitely don't want to downplay your legitimate critique of the event operation. We do want to make our events the best experience possible. I only LOL'd because we have a dedicated group of board members that spend countless hours making every event happen and we won't undermine their hard work by pandering to a few off the cuff "If I were in charge" remarks on the internet.

So in conclusion, If you want something specific then bring a specific proposal to the board to be discussed.

Thanks,
    Thank you for the professional and thorough/thoughtful response. I have no desire to be in charge. But I always want to see the club flourish. And as you mentioned, be able to enjoy the experience to the fullest. I just find it interesting that after all these years. Our local clubs still seem to struggle with event operations.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I'd also add that 3 driver cars aren't even allowed at most clubs in a single heat. Sometimes those folks just need to run in a different class. We accommodate it whenever possible, but its not a guarantee. Trying new things is the best way we know to evolve our events to work for the largest number of attendees. We are happy to have our current challenge of providing 6+ runs at every event, even when attendance is consistently above 90 drivers, often well into the 120's.

We are not done tweaking, and ideas are always welcomed.
    Mike. Donna ran SSPL. Keath and I both ran in X. She was in 1a, we were in 1b. I would have happily run in another class had I known upfront how the day was going to play out. Again, thank you for your openness.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I might have to make it out to more events if this becomes a reality! Powdered sugar is a must though!

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    If it were only as simple as you want to make it Jeffery, we wouldn't have any trouble making everyone happy.

Here are some of the considerations to balance:
    -drivers want 6-8+ runs
    -drivers want to finish by mid afternoon
    -drivers want a break to eat/rest/socialize
    -Drivers want the gravel blown off several times per event
    -workers want as short an assignment as possible
    -safety dictates car spacing
    -drivers want longer, interesting courses
    -drivers want competition to be as fair and equal as possible (pax, conditions, etc)
    -novices want instruction, walk throughs, time to watch and learn
    -Some drivers need lots of adjustment And cool down time
    -Timing and scoring must accurately record all the runs, cones, dnf's, break downs, false trips, reruns, etc.
    - heat balancing, run/work order, multi driver cars, novices, etc are all affected by walk up registration, which ER is committed to keeping as an option for drivers, as well as no attendance cap.

These are just a few of the things that go into the process. As you can see, many of them can conflict with one another. So, new ideas are welcome, but not always feasible. Board meetings are short and fun, come out with your ideas.
    It appears to me that we are trying to please too much of the masses. Event safety and operation should trump everything. Again, these are protocols that should have been established decades ago.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

The protocols are in place, but they also change depending on the event structure. I personally think the event operations are quite good at SCCA, ER and NTAXS. Bear in mind that last week's event had almost 100 drivers, 6 runs, and was done before 3 pm.

SCCA has had 150 driver events this year w/5 runs each that were wrapped by 5 pm. NTAXS has 67 drivers at every event getting 8 runs and a lunch bvreak, most of which are also wrapped by 3-4 pm.

I've gone to events in other cities that give you less for more $$ and time. As with any all-volunteer organization, the faces rotate constantly, so there is a lot of teaching/learning that must occur every week.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12