Thread: Kudos to Tire Rack

Default Kudos to Tire Rack

Well, I called this monring to follow up on the replacement tires that I'd ordered Monday morning because of the V710 recall. I hadn't yet seen an email with tracking numbers, and I was getting a little worried, since I ordered them shaved & heat-cycled, which means that they have to come out of the Indiana location.

To make a long story short, I talked to my rep this morning, and he apologized for the delay (said they've been swamped with V710 replacement orders, which I can believe), and assured me that my tires would be here by Friday - even if they had to be overnighted Thursday - at no additional charge.

Try getting that kind of service from any Discount Tire location... :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

Well, I got 2nd day delivery out of Discount because of a upcoming event.

My Discount store has gone the extra mile for me.

I wonder what its costing Kumho to eat all these tires, then give everyone 8 for the 4 they are replacing?

How many sizes of 710's did they have out? Was it just the 15" size??

Don't think the price of Kumhos will go up do ya???

Kumho pricing is already scheduled to go up either May 1 or June 1... They may have to sneak in a little bit more up.

I have also gotten great service out of several Discount Tire stores in the past. Mine was all set to have Kumho fix the K8A error, but based on JRW's experience, I think I'm going to keep what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I wonder what its costing Kumho to eat all these tires, then give everyone 8 for the 4 they are replacing?

How many sizes of 710's did they have out? Was it just the 15" size??

Don't think the price of Kumhos will go up do ya???
    I'm sure it's costing them plenty. I know they had enough sizes for SCCA eligibility, which requires a minimum of seven different sizes in four different wheel diameters, if I'm not mistaken.

That said, Kumho is a huge company - orders of magnitude bigger than Hoosier, for example. I've actually heard rumors that they lost money on competiton tires anyway (no idea if it's true or not), but the "halo effect" of racing more than paid for itself in dividends on their passneger and light truck tires. Also, don't foget that Kumho only sells a fraction of their available tires here in the States - if I'm not mistaken, they are the #1 tire company in southeast Asia.

I doubt we'll see a price increase on R compound Kumhos. Kumho knows that their biggest selling point - before the V710s, at least - was cost. If they up the cost of their current tires, especially without the V710, which seemed to be the only one that could really be competitive with Hoosiers, people will just stop buying them.

Don't forget, there is also another tire company trying to get into the American R compound market - Avon. Keep an eye on Tire Rack's website, as the Avon Tech R is supposed to launch by the end of this month, and in enough sizes for SCCA eligibility. MOre competition in the market should mean better tires - and prices - for all of us in the long run.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Cool... Won't it be nice to have Avon tires???

Wife: Who was that at the door?
    Me: Just the Avon lady...
    Wife: Huh? Never mind...
    Me: heh heh heh... Umm... Would you mind coming around back next time?