Thread: Best brake pads for 99? Is it hawk?

Default Best brake pads for 99? Is it hawk?

To the Wisdom of the forum, I've got a 99 that does not have big brakes. Stops good, no problems but I was going to drop on a new set of pads before season starts and wanted to know what the thought was for the " best" autocross pad? Looking back through the forum hawk + keeps popping up. What say ye? Dusty

On my STR 99 I've been using Hawk HP Plus on the rear and cheap ceramic pads up front in order to shift the bias to the rear a bit. I ran HP Plus all around on my 94 and felt like it was too easy to lock the front wheels on hard braking.

Interesting! Were the ceramics store brand or?

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Hawk ceramic on the front and Hawk HP+ on the rear, for autocross. Affectionately known as "ABS for stupid feet".
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I ran Mazda Value Pads (from Rosenthals) up front and HPS in the rear for AutoX.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

I am a big fan of Ferdo DS2500 for street/autocross. I hated the hawks the squeal was terrible on the HP+ I had on my 93 Miata in street driving. The Ferdo’s DS2500 work cold and don’t go away with autocross level heat, don’t squeal on the street and easy on rotors, they do dust a lot, but the dust seems to be non-corrosive on wheels.

I have not run them on a Miata, but I have been very happy with them on my S2000 and ZO6.

http://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-seri...A+MIATA%20MX5+

I find the HP+ way too grabby for my taste, but I know others that really like that. I like to tap the brakes with my left foot while autocrossing, so I like pads that just give a little bite. So, it really depends on your style.

I guess if I were starting from scratch on an NB (I drive an NA6), then I would try HPS all around. If I then need to adjust the bias to the rear, then I would try some Autozone (or whatever) ceramics in the front.

Man, I'm thanking y'all for the replys! Lots to consider. Dusty