Thread: Hot Rod Power Tour comes to DFW June 14

Default Hot Rod Power Tour comes to DFW June 14

Just an FYI on an event that is not Miata related, but a large National car event that will mostly be in our area this June.

The largest traveling car show, the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour, is coming through DFW on June 14 and will be at Traders Village. This is not a competition.

Spectators are free (don't know if someone will charge for parking, they haven't in the past but don't know about Traders Village)

details here: www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod-power-tour/2016/1601-official-hot-rod-power-tour-2016-f-a-q/

Starting point this year is near Baton Rouge (Gonzales LA). Stops include: Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, COTA in Austin, Traders Village in DFW, OK City, Wichita, and Kansas Speedway in Kansas City. Seven cities in seven days is their saying.

There will be many, many muscle cars and retro rods. In the past, I did see a really ugly body kit Miata so Miatas aren't unknown. Last year 2100 cars went the entire distance and another 4500 or so did one or more days.

There is a suggested official route between each venue that is normally a combination of Interstate and good US two lane highways. Participants can choose to drive that route or create their own. But driving through the small towns along the route is a hoot as many people sit along the way to watch the traveling show.

Car shows aren't really my thing but this is a fun event: I've done eight of them, six in the Zee.

If anyone is interested in the out of town locations, make hotel reservations NOW as nearby hotels fill up fast. Or use the official travel agent for booking rooms that are generally not too far from each venue.
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

There will be a white 94 Miata with a 5.0 under the hood on the 2017 power tour if things work out. I want to do it with my son for his hs graduation present.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

If you've never been to catch the Power Tour as it passes through, you should know that it is not to be missed. There are some seriously cool cars (hundreds!) that show up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
    There will be a white 94 Miata with a 5.0 under the hood on the 2017 power tour if things work out. I want to do it with my son for his hs graduation present.
    There will be lots of engine swap cars

Are you trying to Cars and Coffee me and tell me my car isn't cool enough already? I realize a Monster Miata with a 5.0 isn't that cool, but its a pretty cool father / son project and its in the budget. Half the funds are already spent and selling parts of both cars will help finance the rest of the project.

A 5.0 Miata shouldn't be the least cool thing on the Power Tour, and even if it is, we will have a good time.
    AnthonyS

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    There will be lots of engine swap cars

All I said is that there will be a lot of stuff to look at

You need better paranoia meds

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    All I said is that there will be a lot of stuff to look at

You need better paranoia meds

It's not what you said, but how you said it.

Oh and I took your advice and went searching for lost items. All I found was your sense of humor but clearly you don't have any use for one.
    AnthonyS

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
    It's not what you said, but how you said it.
    But, he didn't say it, he typed it.

I understood it to mean that there will lots of cool cars with engine swaps (yours included) to check out. I love looking at others work. Gives me lots of ideas. So . . . ??

I know he didn't say it. That's where the sense of humor comes in a bit. You and I both know seeing someone in type that you don't get the tone with it like you do when hearing it.

I'm planning on taking Jr. to see the show when it comes through Dallas, and hopefully that will inspire him some for next year.

I like seeing other people's work too, but alas I already have more ideas than I can afford.
    AnthonyS