Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Miatas @ Hallett 2016

Stupid question.... helmet required? I'm assuming so as the autox I did way back when did.

If so, suggestions on where/ what to purchase? Gonna take a stab and say my motorcycle helmet probably isn't the right idea..... lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, a helmet is required. My wife used her open-faced Snell M2005 last year, but they seem to want newer. I now use an open-faced Snell SA2010 and she just bought a full-face Snell SA2015.

I just signed up. Thanks for the reminder!

jrj512, where did you get the helmet, was it local? I hate the idea of buying a helmet online without being able to test fit it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    jrj512, where did you get the helmet, was it local? I hate the idea of buying a helmet online without being able to test fit it.
    We found it at Smiley's in Mesquite several months ago. They have plenty to try on. When we were recently ready to buy, Smiley's did not have it in stock and did not seem interested in ordering it, so we ended up buying it online at Jeg's.

The slow line around Hallett.
    M3 is always the answer.

Cone-cerned, good news, the US-377 bridge at Tishomingo is open. Drove over it yesterday. It's not finished, but open.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Thanks, EricJ. First hand recon is the best.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

This might be useful for Hallett.
    http://www.raceoptimal.com/HallettCCW
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    This might be useful for Hallett.
    http://www.raceoptimal.com/HallettCCW
    Interesting.

I apex later on 4, 6, and 10. I will have to try this line.

Is there any on-site camping?

I know others have stayed overnight. Not much for facilities, though. Plan to stay at the event hotel on Sat night for the banquet. I don't think you'll be able to get back into the site afterwards.

I am signed up for Saturday. We are booked at the Hampton for Fri and Sat nights.

Sounds like a blast, I can't wait.

Also, they offered a transponder rental. Is this something that will be required, or optional if you want your times recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post
    Also, they offered a transponder rental. Is this something that will be required, or optional if you want your times recorded?
    Optional.

Will there be secure parking, at the track, to leave the cars/trailers, or will we need to take them to the hotel at night?

You can leave them Friday night. The sometimes let us leave them Sat night, but they have to get an employee to come in on Sunday just to let us in.

Quote Originally Posted by UTenigma View Post
    Is there any on-site camping?
    Yes. There is plenty of space for camping. I think they have some power in the camping areas too, but there is usually a charge. Call Karen or Connie to reserve power.
    There is a bathroom with a shower.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Please forgive all the questions, but I do want to be as prepared as possible.

I have been thinking about the transponder. Am I correct in assuming that if I don't have a transponder, I will have no way to get my lap times?

I think knowing the times will be a must if I am going to track my improvement.

Advice and opinions are welcome on this or anything else that might benefit a newbe like me.

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post
    Please forgive all the questions, but I do want to be as prepared as possible.

I have been thinking about the transponder. Am I correct in assuming that if I don't have a transponder, I will have no way to get my lap times?

I think knowing the times will be a must if I am going to track my improvement.

Advice and opinions are welcome on this or anything else that might benefit a newbe like me.
    I think you're much better off getting something like an AIM Solo or even an iPod/iPhone with external bluetooth GPS for laptimes.

Transponders are a racket. $50 of stuff being sold for $500. Needed if you're doing an SCCA or NASA track event, but that's it. They don't have logging capability and are pretty useless for coaching.

The other setups record all kinds of things that can help you and include playback capability. With an iPod/iPhone, you can capture video and sound (or, add a GoPro to the other systems). You can use them for autocross or drag racing too.

I definitely wouldn't get a transponder unless I had to for a competition. Which, of course, means I have one for competition -- but it's only value to me is showing me how accurate my iPod setup is.

Rant off.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast