Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas (North Texas?) Drivers

Chassis Designer

Default Texas (North Texas?) Drivers

Are aggressive! And this is coming from someone that learned to drive in So Cal.

Tailgate:

Ignore stop sign, turn (right) in front of traffic that has the right of way:

Ignore pedestrians

I have learned to deal with it, no honking or getting angry. TX culture is otherwise so darn considerate and polite that the driving style surprises the heck out of me.

Or maybe they just don't notice the little Miata?

Texas used to be the friendly state. As a native Texan I blame all the transplants. Rural tx is still plenty friendly but dallas Houston and Austin and San Antonio are filled with a holes on the road.

And they are too busy texting or looking for their phones or lattes to see miatas.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
    Texas used to be the friendly state. As a native Texan I blame all the transplants. Rural tx is still plenty friendly but dallas Houston and Austin and San Antonio are filled with a holes on the road.

And they are too busy texting or looking for their phones or lattes to see miatas.
    It seems like most people I meet are not DFW natives. The ones that are, I feel like I owe them an apology for being here. I know that the influx of out-of-towners has degraded the quality of life (housing costs, traffic, attitudes, etc). The unintended consequence of having sensible state and local governments?

I feel like most other drivers respond to the way I'm driving. If I'm being aggressive, it brings it out of them. If I'm chill, I don't see nearly as much stuff that seems aggressive. It's out there for sure, but I think DFW is pretty manageable. On my way down to Port A on Thursday, I was surprised by the drivers on 35 south of Austin that were cruising slow in the fast lane, despite having light traffic and plenty of room to move over. Overall, I like the efficiency of Dallas drivers, outside of rush hour. Nothing good ever happens in heavy traffic.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Sounds about like how I felt when I moved here from Northern California 12 years ago. People nice as could be to your face, but crazy SOBs on the road. When I was living in Dallas, the one thing that totally blew my mind was how most Texans respond to turn signals when changing lanes on the freeway. Everywhere else I have driven, the vast majority of drivers will back off and give you space to change lanes when they see your turn signal. In Texas, it seems like 90% of drivers will do the opposite and actually speed up to close the gap and block you out. SMH

On a side note, I also have slowly learned that many of those people that seemed to be nice to your face are SOBs too. For example, if someone says "bless your heart", they are not being kind to you.

Bless you little hearts!

I think what would help is if all you whiny Californians would go back to California. Assimilate or go home.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

If you want to see the opposite side of the North Texas drivers, come up and spend some time in Woodbine. You will find that the drivers here are nice and courteous. Well, at least four of the five of us are. When you see LeRoy coming at you, though, just get off the road. You will know it's LeRoy, he still drives that '52 International pickup.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    spend some time in Woodbine.
    They still do the one finger wave!

From what I have seen they do a slightly modified version of the one finger wave in North Fort Worth.

Thats right after they change lanes with out signaling and right before they brake check you. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Thats right after they change lanes with out signaling and right before they brake check you. :/
    Yep that is what it is most of the time but in their defense they were on the phone holding flat like carrying a pizza and/or texting and never saw you until you laid on the horn. The brake check or 1 finger wave is their way of letting you know they know you are behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Had that exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago, by a "lady" in a camaro convertible. Top up of course.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Constant idiots on 170/114 where I live. My sister lives in Grapevine, and she was in my passenger seat up here on the way to lunch when she just burst out laughing and said "I would NEVER leave the house if I had to deal with the idiots that you do!".

Week and a half back a guy overshot a 90 degree turn at a stoplight and ended up up in the grass by the road (he bounced back onto the road and looked straight ahead with his hands at 10 and 2). Yesterday afternoon on the way to work I watched ONE guy run two stop signs and a red light.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Sounds about like how I felt when I moved here from Northern California 12 years ago. People nice as could be to your face, but crazy SOBs on the road. When I was living in Dallas, the one thing that totally blew my mind was how most Texans respond to turn signals when changing lanes on the freeway. Everywhere else I have driven, the vast majority of drivers will back off and give you space to change lanes when they see your turn signal. In Texas, it seems like 90% of drivers will do the opposite and actually speed up to close the gap and block you out. SMH

On a side note, I also have slowly learned that many of those people that seemed to be nice to your face are SOBs too. For example, if someone says "bless your heart", they are not being kind to you.
    I didn't know that! Is this a TX thing or common across the south?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Constant idiots on 170/114 where I live. My sister lives in Grapevine, and she was in my passenger seat up here on the way to lunch when she just burst out laughing and said "I would NEVER leave the house if I had to deal with the idiots that you do!".

Week and a half back a guy overshot a 90 degree turn at a stoplight and ended up up in the grass by the road (he bounced back onto the road and looked straight ahead with his hands at 10 and 2). Yesterday afternoon on the way to work I watched ONE guy run two stop signs and a red light.
    Once a week I take 75 to and from work, and on the weekend we end up on 75 for some reason or another. There is always an accident on 75!!!. I mean every dang time!!! At first I thought it was due to the construction in the HOV lane, but the phenomenon persists...

Quote Originally Posted by Run_Amok View Post
    I think it may be a think across parts of the south, but not all.

Driving like an A hole is part of the BMW ownership experience....at least I have an excuse.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

After 2 years of driving a mini cooper from Uptown Dallas to Euless and now Mansfied, it was either be a bigger asshole or pack up & go home. I swear that car was the biggest bully magnet ever, much worse than the miata. Now in a normal sized car people sort of leave me alone again.

I'm chill most of the time but defending myself from big truck douchebags in that car made me more of a traffic asshole really. I'm not proud of it...ok I am proud actually.

'94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Run_Amok View Post

As in "He's so stupid, if you took his brains out and put them on the head of a pin, they'd roll around like a BB on a six lane highway...bless his heart."

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    As in "He's so stupid, if you took his brains out and put them on the head of a pin, they'd roll around like a BB on a six lane highway...bless his heart."
    LOL... there is a pretty good breakdown of it here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ess+your+heart

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Driving like an A hole is part of the BMW ownership experience....at least I have an excuse.
    7 Series drivers are thee worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    After 2 years of driving a mini cooper from Uptown Dallas to Euless and now Mansfied, it was either be a bigger asshole or pack up & go home. I swear that car was the biggest bully magnet ever, much worse than the miata. Now in a normal sized car people sort of leave me alone again.

I'm chill most of the time but defending myself from big truck douchebags in that car made me more of a traffic asshole really. I'm not proud of it...ok I am proud actually.
    I may be hyper sensitive because my wife's car is a Prius. Double whammy at the Amok garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast