Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best garage door opener company?

Chassis Designer

Default Which is the best garage door opener company?

I have never bought a garage door opener (GDO). I did some research and it looks like all brands have some negative reviews.

What should I look for in a GDO? A lot of the product descriptions tout quiet operation, however, I like to know when my GDO is in operation because my wife frequently forgets to close it. That said, I don't want one that is going to vibrate like hell.

Do you prefer Genie, Chamberlin, Craftsman, Sommer, or another brand?

Sommer GDOs are made in Germany which for me automatically give it an edge over the others. Anyone own a Direct Drive?

TIA,
    Run

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I installed one of these in my detached garage. If you're replacing an opener, and have an outlet within 6' of the top of the door, I go this route in a second.

It's an easy DIY project.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5714FHQF93YBEN

Chassis Designer

^ Thanks sammm! I didn't know this type of opener existed - very interesting.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^They are super quiet, and have a built-in electronic deadbolt that goes thru the track the doors run in. Makes it very secure.

The associated light is wireless, and you can connect a 2nd one to the opener if you want to.

Chassis Designer

Thanks again, sammm.

I don't have tall / wide cars do the overhead space is not precious. The security features are nice to haves, not must haves for me. I would get this in a hot New York second if the price was closer to $200...

Nice one Sammm, I know what's going in my next house. Seems the direct drive tech has gotten better and more compact since the last time I looked for an opener several years ago. And the price has come down to a much more reasonable level. The direct drive openers I saw back then were 2-3 times the size and more in the $600-800 range.

What I did get back then was a Chamberlin belt drive with battery backup. Smooth, quiet, and basically maintenance free. The battery backup has come in handy quite a few times. It's been operating a 2 car garage door for about 8 years without any issues other than replacing the backup battery once or twice. I think the battery was about $20.

I know Magma has a screw drive, Genie I think, and it's relatively quiet as well. My previous chain drive was "builder special" loud POS and finally failed when the bushing supporting the drive sprocket cracked.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I installed one of these in my detached garage. If you're replacing an opener, and have an outlet within 6' of the top of the door, I go this route in a second.

Dang.. that is awesome! I think that may be my next shop purchase!

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    What I did get back then was a Chamberlin belt drive with battery backup. Smooth, quiet, and basically maintenance free. The battery backup has come in handy quite a few times. It's been operating a 2 car garage door for about 8 years without any issues other than replacing the backup battery once or twice. I think the battery was about $20.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. So far I Chamberlain seems to be the best value - this is probably what I will get.

The LM 8500 will go on the wish list.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Run_Amok View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience. So far I Chamberlain seems to be the best value - this is probably what I will get.

The LM 8500 will go on the wish list.
    Don't forget to weigh in the install cost of a 'regular' opener. Like I said, 8500 is easy DIY.

Openers are relatively easy to swap out. A new install that might be a pain if you have to install the ceiling brackets and run wires for the sensors. I swapped mine out myself and got lucky that the old sensors worked with the new opener. Their wires and the control panel wires are in the ceiling/walls so I didn't want to try and snake the new ones or have to tack them outside the sheetrock. The other option might have been to just splice the new sensors to use the old wire runs. I did that on the control panel.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Chassis Designer

Don't forget to weigh in the install cost of a 'regular' opener. Like I said, 8500 is easy DIY.
    Great point. I will keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Openers are relatively easy to swap out. A new install that might be a pain if you have to install the ceiling brackets and run wires for the sensors. I swapped mine out myself and got lucky that the old sensors worked with the new opener. Their wires and the control panel wires are in the ceiling/walls so I didn't want to try and snake the new ones or have to tack them outside the sheetrock. The other option might have been to just splice the new sensors to use the old wire runs. I did that on the control panel.
    I am starting from scratch, unfortunately, and that's what makes sammm's idea really strong.

That's pretty cool, I've never seen a direct drive opener. Here's a comprehensive review (from the Dallas area to boot).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvASlrpBns

C

At a rent house I own I just replaced a two year old Genie screw drive (POS) with a chain drive Chamberlin, it works great. I have an ancient Sears chain drive at my house (30 years old) and it still works great.

I replaced a chain drive opener with a Craftsman screw drive 10 years ago with absolutely no issues.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I got a 22+ year old Genie Screw Drive works great. YMMV

Suspension Modder

Be aware that if you have an older car (and even some newer ones) with HomeLink, the newer openers will NOT work with your old HomeLink. I have the jackshaft Chamberlain above and had to get a "repeater". Something they don't bother to tell you until you can't get it programmed and go hunting with Google.

^I had to do that to get my M3 to talk to my LiftMaster MYq belt drive opener.

C

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by chriscar View Post
    That's pretty cool, I've never seen a direct drive opener. Here's a comprehensive review (from the Dallas area to boot).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvASlrpBns

C
    Thanks for sharing the video, chriscar. How do you guys feel about the host's comments on getting the door balanced / adjusted or some form of optimization prior to installing the LM?

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    At a rent house I own I just replaced a two year old Genie screw drive (POS) with a chain drive Chamberlin, it works great. I have an ancient Sears chain drive at my house (30 years old) and it still works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I replaced a chain drive opener with a Craftsman screw drive 10 years ago with absolutely no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I got a 22+ year old Genie Screw Drive works great. YMMV
    Thanks fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Be aware that if you have an older car (and even some newer ones) with HomeLink, the newer openers will NOT work with your old HomeLink. I have the jackshaft Chamberlain above and had to get a "repeater". Something they don't bother to tell you until you can't get it programmed and go hunting with Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscar View Post
    ^I had to do that to get my M3 to talk to my LiftMaster MYq belt drive opener.

C
    Good to know and thanks!

Got my Liftmaster 8500 installed on my shop last week and I am loving it! Thanks Sammm

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Got my Liftmaster 8500 installed on my shop last week and I am loving it! Thanks Sammm
    Awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast