Thread: Another Cali Relo

Chassis Designer

Default Another Cali Relo

Hello all, Run here, another Californian relocating to the DFW area for all of the usual reasons.

This is a neat lil community you have - thank you for letting me be a part of it.

I have a '04 with:

• Tein Street Advance (7kg/6kg)
    • RacingBeat 28mm front sway
    • MazdaSpeed 14mm rear sway
    • 15x7 Enkei RPF1s
    • Nitto NT-05s (205/50)
    • BlackBird Fabworx Single-diagonal roll-bar

I plan on doing some HPDEs with NASA once the temps go down.

Hope to meet some of the locals folks soon.

Here's a pic from the day we left OC:

Yeah, the top went up prior to departure.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard and welcome to Texas!

Welcome... I moved here from Northern California 11 years ago and am still loving it here. I miss the mountain roads and cool evenings, but there are many more things that are better here.

Welcome!

Nice car.

For HPDE, I would suggest you also look at "The Driver's Edge" and "Apex Driving Academy." Apex runs exclusively at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson (there are several configurations there). TDE runs all over Texas. There's also PCA, BMWCCA, open track days at Eagle's Canyon, Performance Driving School at Texas World Speedway (supposedly closing, but still going strong), etc., etc. So much track and autoX activity here it will make your head spin. And, like Cali, it's year round.

One thing you should do immediately, sign up for Miatas at Hallett 2015. That's a blast and you'll get to run with lots of the locals as we make our annual pilgrimage to a great Miata track.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Link for Hallett registration.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Welcome to Texas
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Welcome! Enjoy the plentiful water.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Come to some solo events. We always have cold water to help with aclimation.....

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Welcome aboard and welcome to Texas!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Welcome to Texas
    Thanks for the warm welcome (no pun), guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Welcome... I moved here from Northern California 11 years ago and am still loving it here. I miss the mountain roads and cool evenings, but there are many more things that are better here.
    Thank you and it's good to hear that you are still happy in TX 11 years on. I was chatting with the Penske rental agent in Anaheim, CA. He said that 90% of that location's one-way rentals are headed to TX. I imagine the same is true with other CA locations. TX is definitely doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Nice car.

For HPDE, I would suggest you also look at "The Driver's Edge" and "Apex Driving Academy." Apex runs exclusively at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson (there are several configurations there). TDE runs all over Texas. There's also PCA, BMWCCA, open track days at Eagle's Canyon, Performance Driving School at Texas World Speedway (supposedly closing, but still going strong), etc., etc. So much track and autoX activity here it will make your head spin. And, like Cali, it's year round.

One thing you should do immediately, sign up for Miatas at Hallett 2015. That's a blast and you'll get to run with lots of the locals as we make our annual pilgrimage to a great Miata track.
    Thanks! And, thank you for the in-depth response - I will look into the other DE organizations you listed. The BMWCCA... they seem to be made up of a bunch of nanny's. That said, I have owned a few E30s and am fond of the BMW enthusiast community as a whole. The PCA sounds like fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Link for Hallett registration.
    Prolly wont make it to this event, unfortunately, but I appreciate you sharing the link. I don't do well in the heat (I know, I know...). I'll hit as many driving events as possible once the temps drop below 80°.

Thanks for the links, fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Welcome! Enjoy the plentiful water.
    Thanks and yeah, the water is heavenly :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Come to some solo events. We always have cold water to help with aclimation.....
    Will do!

Chassis Designer

So, I have been running errands and such over the past few days. I came out of the Albertson's in McKinney and was pleasantly surprised to find this red NB parked next to me. Are you on this board?

Chassis Designer

Everything looks bigger in Texas - except for the Miata.

Chassis Designer

So, it has been just over a year that we have been in the DFW area. We love it and wish we moved here years ago.

God bless Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by Run_Amok View Post
    So, it has been just over a year that we have been in the DFW area. We love it and wish we moved here years ago.

God bless Texas!
    Been here all my life, that is the usual response from a transplant..... Having said that the summers suck, they have worn me down.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Been here all my life, that is the usual response from a transplant..... Having said that the summers suck, they have worn me down.
    It's not for everybody. We've had visitors from other parts of the country that are not attracted to the DFW area.

Edit: the heat and lack of amenities (compared with right or left coast) is a barrier to some.
    Last edited by Run_Amok; 10-01-2016 at 09:29 AM.