Thread: A/C not cold...

Default A/C not cold...

I had have my system recharged about 2 years ago... now it's blowing hot air again. Can I just go to Autozone and get a can of R134 to add? Should I be getting some with UV dye (I guess I have a leak somewhere?). And then go from there with the expensive repair?

Anywhere local to do A/C (e.g. TDR)? Rogue did the recharge, but that's a bit of hike for me...

Thanks
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Problem with the vatozone recharge is you really have no good idea about how much 134 is in the system; it only measures pressure on one side. Yes, its a cheap/easy temporary fix, but it can potentially do more harm than good if its overfilled. Since you clearly have a leak somewhere, you'll eventually need to locate/fix it anyway, so this isn't an awful idea.

Most of the stuff they sell has the dye in it, so a small can w/ dye could be worth it to locate the leak, then take it in to a shop for a true fix. Then you have the system evacuated, tested, and refilled correctly.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

lostlorin told me about the soapy water trick, but your system will have to have pressure in it. If you go around squirting the soapy water on the AC fittings, you should be able to find the leak.

Mine was actually leaking in one of the evaporator fittings (behind the glove box).

Also you can shorten the life of your A/C system if you use the "stop leaks" style stuff that Vatozone sells.

Thanks for the input. I'm dreading fixing/replacing A/C components. It's one of the more expensive repairs for an otherwise cheap car...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    ...Anywhere local to do A/C (e.g. TDR)?...
    I use McCain on Floyd Circle. They've done a number of cars for me, and usually cost less than I imagine it would be. (972) 669-0744
    Jason McDaniel

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    I use McCain on Floyd Circle. They've done a number of cars for me, and usually cost less than I imagine it would be. (972) 669-0744
    How are their prices for older (R-12) service?

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    How are their prices for older (R-12) service?
    I don't know. Call them and ask.
    Jason McDaniel