Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AutoX modifications and questions.

Default AutoX modifications and questions.

I'm loving my 97 Miata and AutoXing. Currently have bilsteins with Ground Control (440\300 springs),Star Spec 2 tires, and a disconnected rear sway bar (I could really tell a difference last event and I liked it). So as you can see, I'm in STS and want to stay there.

I know everyone has different goals and setups and driving habits and the best way to test a modification is get it and then drive and see how it suits my style but the knowledge can be useful to me. Also in how it relates to Scca classing.

I see many people upgrading to a larger front sway bar. I know a sway bar reduces body roll, but it can also make you have less grip (and it's my understanding would induce more understeer, unless the rear was also larger) so why is it so common?)

When it Comes to STS, from what I can surmise, there is no chassis bracing allowed, is this correct?

Would a front sway bar brace be considered chassis bracing? Does anyone have one and can tell a difference?

What about lower control arm braces?

Would FM Frame rails be considered chassis bracing? (just reinforcing the rails, not connecting it with a butterfly brace. I just think since it's not connecting two parts of the chassis it wouldn't be considered that?)

As you can tell, I know suspension and chassis are more important especially when it comes to the miata. I like adding one thing at a time and seeing what effect it has. Plus buying one at a time fits my budget well. But Scca classing is hard to understand a bit.

I am interested in stiffining my chassis\handling/suspension(although I'm not ready to buy 1500$ coilovers just yet) as much as STS allows. Any tips and knowledge are welcome.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Most all AX'ers (Stock/Street classes included) run a big, front bar.

Frame rails would probably bump you to CSP.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Most all AX'ers (Stock/Street classes included) run a big, front bar.
    ^ True Story!

Also some good stuff here -> http://949racing.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    ^ True Story!

Also some good stuff here -> http://949racing.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx
    Very nice link! I currently have the "ice hawk" alignment and NB 6" wide wheels. I guess if I upgrade my front sway bar, I'l reattach the rear.

would Frog Leg braces (https://www.flyinmiata.com/frog-arms.html) take me out of STS?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaman444 View Post
    would Frog Leg braces (https://www.flyinmiata.com/frog-arms.html) take me out of STS?
    Fairly sure they would.

Here's the link to the rules -
    http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1458856541

No chassis bracing is legal, beyond 2-point shock tower braces, really. Frog arms, frame rails, control arm braces, and sway bar braces are all illegal. You can use the Racing beat sway bar reinforcement blocks, but not the brace that ties the mounts together.

When you have bigger, wider tires/wheels, you'll want a bigger bar to help keep them on the ground. You probably still won't want the rear bar for autocross, as the miata is fairly tail-happy.

Is your 97 an open-diff car? If it has the Torsen, its not STS-legal (for now).
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Would a front sway bar brace be considered chassis bracing? Does anyone have one and can tell a difference?

What about lower control arm braces?

Would FM Frame rails be considered chassis bracing? (just reinforcing the rails, not connecting it with a butterfly brace. I just think since it's not connecting two parts of the chassis it wouldn't be considered that?)
    All of those chassis braces will not make your car ANY faster.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    You can use the Racing beat sway bar reinforcement blocks, but not the brace that ties the mounts together.
    Incorrect, side to side lateral sway bar mount bracing is allowed in ST.

Good to know. I guess I'm thinking of Street.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Incorrect, side to side lateral sway bar mount bracing is allowed in ST.
    I may be getting my terminology incorrect but are you sure on that one? Even Racing Beats website says nope??

Autocross/Racing Note: The use of this brace is not allowed in the Stock or C-Street Prepared classes. However, the use of support bars and retaining bolts are ALLOWED. For more information,
    Link - http://www.racingbeat.com/Miata-1990...ars/54120.html

I think racing beat's site is out of date. The rule was changed at some point.

14.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS
    Substitution, addition, or removal of any anti-roll bar(s) is permitted. Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted. This does not authorize the cutting of holes to route the bar(s) or links. Components such as anti-roll bars and strut housings that serve dual purposes by also functioning as suspension locators may not be modified in ways that change the suspension geometry or steering geometry. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar, including allowed strut bars per Section 14.2.G, are permitted.

Awesome info, keep it coming.

All of this won't make me faster alone, but I think but feeling the car respond more properly and quickly will shave off tenths. Idk.

And good lookin on the lateral brace.

No Torsen here.

All of this won't make me faster alone, but I think but feeling the car respond more properly and quickly will shave off tenths. Idk.
    It will not make you faster. Well I guess your wallet will be lighter so you might get some weight reduction.

What chassis reinforcement is worth it?

Seat time is the best reinforcement for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    ^ Very Wise Words!

Also thanks Davidss I learned something today!

Also, any chassis bracing puts you in the modified class, not just CSP. I looked into it because my frame rails are in pretty poor shape and I wanted to protect them a bit but it wasn't permitted. Go figure doesn't make you faster, adds weight, but not allowed.

This last event with NTAXS was the first time I've run with the rear bar disconnected, and I wish I had started out that way, so +1 for big front bar and no rear bar. Dunno if I would say the same if I were to switch to slicks. But my first instinct would be to up the spring rate on the coil overs and keep the rear bar disconnected.

What he said.

It's seems front sway bar will be getting swapped. And I agree, I need seat time. Working for law enforcement doesn't help me schedule wise though.

If anyone has a front lying around? I'll post a classified ad as well

...and schools next spring!
    1995 M Edition

Do I need to brace the stock mounts if I go to a 1 inch adjustable front bar? Do I need adjustable endlinks? If I forgo those I save 100 bucks but if improves handling or keeps things from snapping I'll buy em. Advice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast