Thread: What next?

Default What next?

I think regardless of whether or not I get the MSM fixed up, I plan to try something new soon. Right now I'm debating a couple of options, and I'm interested in hearing some opinions from you guys.

One would be to go with an STS car. The advantage of a Miata would be that I already have a good suspension I can take off the MSM. Otherwise I've been looking into a Civic or CRX for STS.

Another thing I've considered is a C5 corvette (a car I've always wanted) for A/B street.

I think an STS car would be a better way to improve as a driver and have plenty of direct competition locally, but the C5 is an attainable childhood dream car, and V8's are fun.

Feel free to offer opinions on those options, or anything else you think would be fun. Keep in mind the autocross car would be an occasional commuter as well.
    2004 Mazdaspeed Miata- Velocity Red (sold)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Compare tire prices on the C5 vs. an STS Miata.

PS - That being said, C5 is a great platform.

Vette and come play at the big track. Buying cars based on SCCA classing is dumb IMO.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Compare tire prices on the C5 vs. an STS Miata.
    +1, and brake pads, and brake rotors and wheels and ...
    Spend less on the car and more on the seat time!
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Like sammm said, tire cost is the biggest money difference. For the top A/X tires expect around $1200 - $1400 a set.

Wheels can be had somewhat cheap.

If the tire cost does not scare you I would say give a C5 a shot. It is a different game and if you don’t like it you should be able to sale the C5 for about what you paid for it.
    Last edited by Robert; 01-25-2017 at 03:21 PM.

C5
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I had a STS loaded 97 Miata plus extra wheels and tires listed on Craigslist for 3600.....everything done to it..... Just sold it stock....

I have Konig 15x7.5s with potenzas, and NB wheels with star Spec 2s, barely used (1 event) for sale. Stay tuned for my for sale Thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaman444 View Post
    I had a STS loaded 97 Miata plus extra wheels and tires listed on Craigslist for 3600.....everything done to it..... Just sold it stock....

I have Konig 15x7.5s with potenzas, and NB wheels with star Spec 2s, barely used (1 event) for sale. Stay tuned for my for sale Thread....
    I did actually see that. Looked very clean, but I was looking more toward a 1.6 with VLSD. Glad you found a buyer, though!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

C5 and let me codrive for free.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Well, I said goodbye to the Miata today. One of the guys from the bodyshop I took it to bought it and will be fixing it up.

I've got this in its place now:

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Nice! Congrats.

Good for you!

You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.

Nice!

Leilanie calls co-drive.
    1995 M Edition

Nice! You'll probably have to adjust your driving style now. Point-shoot, point-shoot, etc.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.