Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channelmaniac attempts to build a Spec Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Hey boyz-n-girlz, have I got a TCB deal for you! Slightly/lightly used '99 OEM parts for free:
    DANG!

I'm needing the Cat Back for a 1.6... The PO had a custom exhaust system installed and did the spare relocation to under the trunk.

RJ
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-24-2005 at 08:15 AM.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    DANG!

I'm needing the Cat Back for a 1.6... The PO had a custom exhaust system installed and did the spare relocation to under the trunk.

RJ
    Can't you use a free flow aftermarket cat back for SPEC?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Can't you use a free flow aftermarket cat back for SPEC?
    Yep he can. May want to put in a bit more research CM.

Spec Miata Exhaust Muffler (add converter pipe)(90-97) $148.90
    Converter replacement pipe 1.6 $39.30
    http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsc...Html/spec.html

You are open to do anything with the exhaust providing the pipe isn't over 2.25 inches in diameter and it must follow the stock pipe locations.

I didn't measure the pipe diameter but it definately doesn't follow stock pipe routes and there's a spare tire up under the car.

I'm going the TCB route so I'm looking for stock exhaust right now. I'm not looking to spend a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there as that adds up to a ton of money. Right now I'm needing to get the car basically back to stock form and running without going too far into debt.

Once that happens I can then look at my options. But for right now, I'm needing to spend the $ wisely as the biggest expenses, the roll cage, seat/steering wheel/harness, hardtop, and the suspension kit are still needing to be done.

RJ

I cut the above posts out of another one, since this subject looked like it could stand on it's own!

Thank you please drive thru!

Can I ask what may seem to be a stupid question...

CM, why didn't you just keep the last NA you had that was running and make that into the SPEC? I know it's too late now, but it seems really counterproductive... especially seeing that the original NA you had had some body damage already.

Just asking...

The exhaust is allowed to end past the rear subframe, so just cut that puppy off and throw the spare tire away. You don't even need a muffler, as long as it passes sound check, which it should. If you still think you need an exhaust, I have several donners that you can pick from....
    Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Thanks Merv,

I'd like to take you up on that offer! This way I'd still be able to drive it on the street...

Don't want to trailer it when it can pull a small AutoX type of trailer.

I'm on the other side of the world from you. but you're welcome to come on out. I've got a '90 and '91 parts car and a few others. I'm sure we can make something work. Actually, my '92 SM-2-B is on the lift so we could pull that one the easiest. It's probably in the best shape, too. I have a birthday this weekend, and I know Shelley has something up her sleeve, so I have no idea what my schedule is.......
    Merv
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Thanks Merv,

Name the time & I'm there!

I'm on vacation until the 31st... Grandma is here now picking up the kiddo so my schedule is about to be WIDE open (except for 8am-9:30am tomorrow morning) until Sunday.

Raymond

I will see if Shelley can give us a window of opportunity, then you can to Springtown!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I will see if Shelley can give us a window of opportunity, then you can to Springtown!
    All I need is an address via PM and my girlfriend (talking GPS unit) will tell me how to get there.

I can't even imagine trying to do a SPEC on the cheap.

I feel your pain trying to create a streetable race car, but once the cage goes in you are a health hazard to yourself in that car without a helmet.

Frankly, the typical SPEC tire budget is more than my car.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

PM'ed ya.........

I doubt you are going to want to drive it on the street with the hefty front springs, especially if you have a race seat. It's almost as bad as driving an old fire truck, from NJ to TX, with an EMPTY water tank!

Merv

Thumbs up

All I need is an address via PM and my girlfriend (talking GPS unit) will tell me how to get there.
    Do you take your girlfriend (talking gps unit) to the movies? Don't people around you get irritated? Makes life cheaper though at dinners and other dates. I like the idea of having a volume control on your girlfriend!
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    I like the idea of having a volume control on your girlfriend!
    I'm looking for one for a wife. I keep twisting things, but nothin' seems to work......

hey, a good exhaust is the Sawyer unit, I believe Ara at Alara racing is the seller now, it is pricey though.
    I also know a cagebuilder locally that does awesome work and can make you a good deal. pm me for that.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Screamin'Screw, I only want it streetable to drive back & forth to events. I don't feel like trailering everything. That means I'll need to keep enough on the car to pass inspection, like the cat, eBrake, etc...

I have a friend that races an M3 out at MSR and he drives his back & forth to the track. It beats trailering everything. I know it won't be as light as other cars. I'm looking to have something that I can gain experience with on the track as well as AutoX. I also just want to build one. I've never done something like this before and thought it would be a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Merv, doubt it would be much more bone jarring than my B&T that I used to have. I had the KYB AGX shocks set on 4 on the front and 5 on the rear... (or was it the other way around) but it will not be a daily driver.

And BigD, This is the only girlfriend that I can get away with, other than Meg Ryan who is on the approved list. Merv should be careful! Twisting some things makes the volume suddenly go WAY up.

It was a B**** tonight, but the head & block have been scraped clean and the shop vac kept things out of the oil & coolant passages. The head is on the car and properly torqued. The intake is also now on the car. It's just being held on by the 3 studs. I need to go get bolts! Every kind of fastener under the sun is in a box that came with the car... everything EXCEPT those dang bolts. I'm willing to bet the dealership doesn't stock 'em too.

I've been replacing some gaskets, o-rings, seals, hoses, and caps as I go. I think I made 4 trips to AutoZone and three to O'Reilly tonight to get miscellaneous parts and tools. I think I have every tool now needed for external engine work other than a timing light.

Once the intake/exhaust is done I get to do the timing belt & crank seal. URG. This is stretching out to take more time than I thought. I may not get it done before my vacation is up!

RJ

Does anyone know if the 1.6L 323 SOHC engine uses the same camshaft as the Miata?

My neighbor's son blew his engine and I'm hoping I can scavenge some parts. He said it made a pop sound and died... "oil everywhere" and I'm hoping that meant a blown head gasket or the oil filter loosened up and blew off and not a rod through the side of the block. I guess it depends on how LOUD that "pop" was.

RJ

Does anyone know if the 1.6L 323 SOHC engine uses the same camshaft as the Miata?
    The answer to that would be no. The SOHC cam controls both the intake and exhaust valves. The DOHC cams control either the intake or exhaust, but not both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast