Thread: TSI's or a NACA duct??

Default TSI's or a NACA duct??

I was thinking about the fact that on really hot days woth the AC on my car still pings every now & then, with mid grade gas. I guess im down to just running premium now. But its not even sumer, so chances are the way it is now, come mid july my car will be pinging like crazy, even with premium. Sunday after I got home I popped the hood & man that thing was HOT!! I mean almost like opening a BBQ grill & burning your eyes hot. That cant be good, though the temp never rose above normal.

So im thinking I need to get some fresh air in there. So would TSI's or a NACA duct help solve my problem?? I am debating between the two, & right now a NACA duct on the hot side seems like a good choice to me. Also im broke, so either one would have to be a used TCB deal, or make it my self. Im thinking I could find an old headlight assembly for cheap from a junk yard, or whatever, & dremel it.

Ive searched the board, but im looking for some real world Texas summer experience and/or oppinions.

*note: this is not about mAd HP y0, its about my car running past 130k.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

It is summertime in Texas. It will be hot if you pop your hood after the afternoon commute regardless.

Trying to ram cooler air into the front really isn't going to help unless the hot air has somewhere to exit and carry the heat with it. I doubt a NACA duct or TSIs are going to help your pinging problem in the slightest.

Have you ever adjusted the timing on your car? I would think that retarding the timing slightly would have a much more positive effect on your pinging issue without costing you a penny.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Good point...dammit.

Titus set my timing to 12 I believe, but still pings, much less, but still there. As far as I can tell right now, it only seems to be doing it when the AC compressor kicks in & I try to pass somebody at the same time. This is on midgrade gas, it worked fine before, but with the hotter weather its back to premium.

Edit: I have seen some race trim Miatas with the back of the hood raised about a half inch or an inch, for an air exit. Maybee this would be an option, for a month or 2, if all else fails??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I'd set it to 10 BTDC. I was running 14 and was pinging in hot weather. Set it to 10 and haven't had a problem. I agree the TSIs and NACA ducts are more show than go.

Now the Randall Intake is supposed to work well. It ducts air through the cowl and uses the stock airbox but they run about 100 clams.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Actually, it was at 12 when you came over and we dropped it to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I have seen some race trim Miatas with the back of the hood raised about a half inch or an inch, for an air exit. Maybee this would be an option, for a month or 2, if all else fails??
    There's quite the amount of debate over on the board as to whether this works or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Actually, it was at 12 when you came over and we dropped it to 10.
    Oh wow, I was way off...

Yea Titus set it at 10