Thread: Sea Foam Deep Creep

Default Sea Foam Deep Creep

I just bought a can of this stuff today.
    I just sprayed some in the Throttle body and used a rag to swipe as much on the inside portion as I could and man was it nasty!
    I sprayed a whole bunch more in there and took the car for a spin.
    I could tell a little improvement on the throttle response, I think I will use the rest of the can and spray it into the vacumn line that is capped off on the intake above the throttle body and see what happens.
    I am also considering taking off the intake and just cleaning the heck out of it after seeing all the sludge in the throttle body.
    This is most likely why you guys cars seem to have better throttle response than mine.
    I would not have thought it would be so dirty after 40K.
    But then again I don't know how it was taken care of before I got it either.
    Thanks to the folks that recomended this stuff it works great so far.
    99 Miata Black

For what its worth, I thought the same thing about the intake, but it was brand new clean inside, with 120k miles, but I cleaned it anyway. I guess theres really nothing that goes through the intake (like carbon etc) as long as your filter is good.

You might, just for kicks, spent 10 bucks & do the full seafoam treatment(vaccume tube, oil, gas tank), if your TB / intake was that dirty.

Let me dig up that link...

Edit: thanks to POS... BAM!
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    For what its worth, I thought the same thing about the intake, but it was brand new clean inside, with 120k miles, but I cleaned it anyway. I guess theres really nothing that goes through the intake (like carbon etc) as long as your filter is good.
    Nah - at 80k miles, I cleaned the top half of my intake manifold and the throttle body, and it was nasty.

Billy Blaze, is there any slack in your throttle cable? If there is, use the adjuster to get it taut again - that's another free and easy way to improve your throttle response.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I just bought a can of this stuff today.
    I just sprayed some in the Throttle body and used a rag to swipe as much on the inside portion as I could and man was it nasty!
    I sprayed a whole bunch more in there and took the car for a spin.
    I could tell a little improvement on the throttle response, I think I will use the rest of the can and spray it into the vacumn line that is capped off on the intake above the throttle body and see what happens.
    I am also considering taking off the intake and just cleaning the heck out of it after seeing all the sludge in the throttle body.
    This is most likely why you guys cars seem to have better throttle response than mine.
    I would not have thought it would be so dirty after 40K.
    But then again I don't know how it was taken care of before I got it either.
    Thanks to the folks that recomended this stuff it works great so far.
    This sounds like a different version of the Sea Foam then the rest of us have used. I just grabbed a can I had in the garage and it says "Sae Foam Auto Marine Motor Treatment Multi-Use Formula".

It does say on the back of the can "When aerosol SEA FOAM is desired, use SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP", so it sounds like it may be almost the same stuff. I would double check the directions before following any instruction here that may be for the non-aerosol version.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Nah - at 80k miles, I cleaned the top half of my intake manifold and the throttle body, and it was nasty.

Billy Blaze, is there any slack in your throttle cable? If there is, use the adjuster to get it taut again - that's another free and easy way to improve your throttle response.
    I was referring to the plastic intake tube itself, which I thought he was referring to.

My TB & intake manifold was nasty as all hell. In fact im considering deep creeping it again. The inside of the intake tube was clean.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    This sounds like a different version of the Sea Foam then the rest of us have used. I just grabbed a can I had in the garage and it says "Sae Foam Auto Marine Motor Treatment Multi-Use Formula".

It does say on the back of the can "When aerosol SEA FOAM is desired, use SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP", so it sounds like it may be almost the same stuff. I would double check the directions before following any instruction here that may be for the non-aerosol version.
    I used the deep creep on my car, I guess its a more potent version, with a spray. Your supposed to pull off the intake tube & spray it directly into the TB, & let it soak for 15 or so minutes.

Carefull with it though, I read someone on the board pulled the sparkplugs, sprayed it in the cylinder, & left it sit for a day or two. He checked it & it had etched the cylinder walls . Potent stuff...

I read something in the directions about that, it was called fogging the engine...read this straight off the can.
    I already tightened the throttle cable the first thing I did actually after buying the car.
    It can't get any tighter without leaving it a little open at all times....lol
    One of these days I will get it all squared away.
    I guess the car sat for some time between the wreck and the rebuild but all in all I have noticed that most everything looks well maintained and rebuilt pretty good.
    I did manage to slice the crap out of my finger today on a blown bulb that was broken though,...so I am still 100% as far as a suffering a personal physical injury for every time I have touched the car to try and fix something..LOL.
    Auto Zone does not carry the stuff you guys are talking about,..(sea foam treatment)
    Thats where I bought the Deep Creep though,....I will use it with caution.
    It does recomend all sorts of uses including bug and tar removal, rust eating, throttle body cleaning as well as intake cleaning etc etc.
    I am looking forward to using it tomorrow on the engine itself, I will report my findings afterwards.
    I still am (at my earliest convenience) going to take apart the intake and valve cover and clean inside both as well as the throttle body...hey couldn't hurt right.
    As far as I can tell the stuff is great so far though just with a shot or two in the trottle body.
    99 Miata Black

After reading the link to their website they say that Deep Creep is Sea Foam in an aerosol can, which actually makes more sense to me to use..cleaning the intake.
    99 Miata Black

Vatozone is always sold out for some reason. Oreilys always stocks it.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    going to take apart the intake and valve cover and clean inside both as well as the throttle body...hey couldn't hurt right.
    That will be well worth it and will clean much more than the SeaFoam. Don't forget to clean out the EGR port. See this - http://www.miata.net/garage/manifold/index.html

^ any variation of that problem apply to the NA's??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ^ any variation of that problem apply to the NA's??
    Since the NA intake manifold is one solid cast piece, you can't crack it open like you can on the others.

I have a spare 1.6 intake manifold in a box some where. I had big plans to clean it and polish it, but it hasn't happened. With it being one piece, it must be harder to give a gook cleaning. Perhaps I could soak it in a bucket of sea foam!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I have a spare 1.6 intake manifold in a box some where. I had big plans to clean it and polish it, but it hasn't happened. With it being one piece, it must be harder to give a gook cleaning. Perhaps I could soak it in a bucket of sea foam!
    You could flush it in your toilet! Opps wait wrong post, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You could flush it in your toilet! Opps wait wrong post, my bad!
    Now that's what I call conecting the dots... Good call! Sea Foam Toilet Flush GTG this Sunday!

Yes I caught that POS...LOL
    99 Miata Black

Looks like neat stuff! http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreepTech.htm

May have to give it a try!

Used it on the intake manifold yesterday, now the car is running great....breathing much better, snappier throttole response.
    The exhaust note is even sounding better now that the Header has "broken in", and ran the A/C for the first time since the Header install without it running hot today.
    Things are looking up!
    99 Miata Black