Thread: Building a homemade intake

Default Building a homemade intake

Just curious if someone knows where I might find some aluminum tubing for making a home made intake for my Miata.
    I have one right now but it's right above the Header and I want it on the cold side.
    May even route something to the front air dam.
    I will most likely use the cone from the one I have now and clamps rubber gromets etc.
    Was thinking something like the Racing Beat design (kind of an S shaped elbow).

Here's an idea,...would it be possible just to attach the rubber gromet, a hose clamp and the cone on the throttle body?
    I would think that might work too, correct me if I am wrong.
    The only thing is I need to find a way to get the plug in... on the cold side.
    I would need a source for some rubber hose too, so I don't trip a code.
    That happens all the time now because I have the wrong hose going into the intake I have and it pops out from time to time, then the check engine light comes on.
    I would appreciate it if someone knows a place I could buy a hose and aluminum tubing locally.
    Thanks.
    99 Miata Black

I believe Majik had s setup like what you are describing at one time. Don't forget to include the air meter thingamajiggy between the filter and TB.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think Majik has an Ebay special, like this one -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

The air meter is what I was talking about when I mentioned running the plug to the cold side...thanks for the heads-up though.
    is there any drawbacks from making just a short intake that connects directly to the throttle body?
    Seems like this would even be better than the air coming right off that hot header til I can get a heat shield.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just pick up a heat shield from TrackDog?
    Easier?

Effective?

Cheaper?

Well not really since I already have most of the parts to build the intake.
    I just need an aluminum tube and a rubber hose.
    I may even be able to cut and use the aluminum tube that I have already.
    Or if I try the direct bolt on filter to the throttle body I wont even need the aluminum tube,....unless however I am missing something about its function that I dont know.
    99 Miata Black

I do have the intake that sammm posted. I cut it at a little past the middle of the first bend. That way it is close to a 90 bend off the throttle body. I used the rubber connectors provided with the intake to connect. You have got to keep the MAS in the intake flow. It is what measures the incoming amount of air, and helps the computer decide how much gas to give the car. To get it to the cold side, I cut the loom for the wiring harness. The wires actually come from around the fuel rail then across the engine bay to the drivers side of the engine bay. I cut the loom from around them so I could put the MAS on the cold side. I used one of the holes in the MAS for a bracket point. I also drilled a hole in the intake and used the stock rubber grommet for the temp sensor. However, I have heard of leaving this somewhere very near the filter has no ill effect, because the air around the filter is essentialy the same temp.

Billy, I think you could cut the black plastice elbow and attatch the MAS to that. Maybe use the rubber connectors on the filter end to attatch it. If you want to get some rubber connectors, check autozone. They have started carying some civic intake stuff, and might have some stuff you could use.

Thanks Majik, you know this may have no effect or essentially have No effect but its cheap enough to try it for now til I can do something else.
    A new heat shield is $82. + shipping.....I dont like the idea of the air intake being on the Hot side anyhow...to me it makes more sense to have it on the cold side.
    That's why I am considering this.
    It's got to be better than being 2,1/2 inches from the top of the Header.
    I do in the very near future plan on a Heat shield but this is the plan til then.
    I am very pleased with the way the car is running right now, its better than ever...I think it will be even better once I can actually get the intake off and clean in there real good by hand.
    I saw the parts you were speaking of at autozone (rubber grommets and clamps)
    but they didnt have a long hose to plug into the CAI from the valve cover.
    I guess I will try again to find someone who carries one with the angles and length that I need,...there has to be someone local who carries generic various lengths and diameter hoses for this purpose.
    I just thought someone here might have that info readily available.
    99 Miata Black

Here is what I do. I just run a little filter designed to go on the end of the breather on the valve cover. When inspection time comes, I put my stock intake back on. I suggest keeping an eye on the miata.net dumpster section. People throw away the stock intake stuff all the time.

so nobody knows a local retailer where I can get that stuff?
    (aluminum tubing and vacumn hoses)
    I took a real good look at what I would need to do and potential ideas and how they might work and really only came up with one that suits what I am looking to do.
    That is to move the radiator overflow bottle to the other side of the car and install the new intake configuration on the pass (cold side) of the car, I am fairly certain after taking a closer look that this will be the best and least expensive way (using parts I already have), that would leave me with buying some zip ties and a longer vacumn line...and I should be able to make it work.
    When I get done I will post pics and explain what I did for those who are considering the same thing to their 99.
    Thanks for the tips!
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I guess that means no!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

This may be another alternative. I have the Goodwin CF intake and heat shield in my 97, and that heat shield works great. I also have a Bosal header that just has a metal plate over the top as a heat shield. The coolbox for the NB looks much more complete than the one for the NA.

ok well I will report and take pics of the process if it works.
    Thanks
    99 Miata Black