Thread: Airport screeners could see X-rated X-rays

Default Airport screeners could see X-rated X-rays

How far is too far??

Get ready for electronic portals known as backscatters, expected to be tested at a handful of airports this year, that use X-ray imaging technology to allow a screener to scan a body. And yes, the body image is detailed. Let's not be coy here, ladies and gentlemen:

"Well, you'll see basically everything," said Bill Scannell, a privacy advocate and technology consultant. "It shows nipples. It shows the clear outline of genitals."
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I wouldn't want that job! Yeah, sure... there would be the occasional hottie, but think of all the other stuff you would have to look at the rest of the time!

Only guys running a line for males, and girls running a line for females? Either way that is too far, what would that do that a metal detector doesnt? Or maybe we should become a nudist world? Ofcourse with the growing trend towards obesity that might be a bad idea too...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Doesn't bother me any... if they wanna peak at this Adonis' body, more power to them!
    Yeah... mine too... "Cause I'm soooo sexy"...

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

You can always adopt the OzCop philosophy on flying....dont!

I haven't flown since 1968 when the plane I was on with 65 others nearly bought it coming in for a landing at the postage stamp called an airport on a mountain top in Huntington, WVa... Less than a year later, the entire Marshall Basketball team did buy it when attempting to land at that airport... :ncool:
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

The bastards! :mad: Just flew back from Hawaii today :cool: the security is rediculous. Take off your flip flops! and Making you put your laptop in the bag to walk through the metal detector only to have to remove it to be inspected the second you walk through! And dont bother folding clothes if you check any luggage, cause they inpectors will mess it all up. Enough ranting....DFW is not bad but some of these other airports are asses.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

We flew to Hawaii about a month after Sept. 11... on the return flight, security wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was on the way there. I remember security being tighter before Sept. 11.

I've found the larger airports are more lax than the smaller regional ones.

Flying from LA to Chicago a few years ago was easy breezy. I then drove to Grand Rapids, MI to visit some friends. Flying out of the little airport was like checking into Fort Knox. I got patted down at the metal detectors while my luggage was riffled though and than after walking a few hundred feet to the gate had the process repeated!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The TSA has a list of items that are allowed for carry on and items that aren't. You'll find that helpful if you have to deal with the Airport Nazis...

I fly in & out of a lot of airports for work and out of all of those, OKC seems to be by far the worst. They made me throw away a pair of blunt nosed fingernail scissors - which ARE on the approved list.

Thanks to their horrible attitude I found & downloaded the list to have "just in case" I run into a problem like that again.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

This is typical American knee-jerk stuff. We go overboard every time. How many years did it take "them" to realize that asking each passenger if they had packed their own bag, and never left the bag alone was a useless waste of breath?

Air travel gets more and more difficult, airlines are losing money hand over fist, laying off workers, making service even more appalling. But you know what? The number of air travelers is almost back to where it was before 9/11. It goes to show you that we'll put up with just about anything. ( thank you sir, may I have another?)

BTW, the Airport Nazis can't actually force you to take off your shoes before you go through the metal detectors, and if your shoes don't set of their alarm (or whatever), they are not supposed to be able to stop you. But if you make life hard for them, they will make life extremely hard for you.

We put up with a ton of shizat all in the name of "security". Well I'd like to know (1) how much all this "security" is costing in true cash outlay and lost productivity, and (2) how many terrorist they've caught for all this effort. My guess is $Billions, and 0. My guess is also that we could tone this "security" down by half, save zillions of dollars, a ton of time/inconvenience, and catch just as many bad guys...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Bruce Schneier has some great articles discussing airport and other "security" issues- He talks about the costs of it and how it's just a bunch of stuff to make us feel good that the government is doing "something" in the name of security.
    I like how he breaks through the hype.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Ok, so they relax the security, stop the maddness, and go back to business as usual, to some degree, and BAM! Some MF gets through and kills another plane load and more people on the ground...Who catches the grief? Yep, the guvmit should have done a better job at airport security....The fact that we haven't had anymore hijackings should tell us something...
    OzCop
    MSM

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    The fact that we haven't had anymore hijackings should tell us something...

That's easy to say after the fact... there is still no concrete way of proving that this has deterred any terrorist from still trying.

Yeah, but do we really want to take the chance. There's no real proof either way, but which way do you want to err? Yeah, some of the stuff we are doing now appears to be overkill, and even over the top, however, crime statistics show that when you remove the guard from the chickenhouse, the fox usually returns...
    OzCop
    MSM