Thread: Crap in the Intake Manifold

Default Crap in the Intake Manifold

I removed the intake mani last night. It was coated with black sooty looking stuff and some oil as well from the TB plate to the end of the runners. This manifold was cleaned about 3 years ago! Is the gunk coming mostly from the EGR system or thru the PVC valve? I don't want to block off the EGR, but I might consider if that's the source of all the soot. Anybody know for sure?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Most of it is coming from your EGR and could be a case of excessive oil burning. how is your oil consumption? The PCV valve can also be an issue, make sure the one-way check valve is working.

This is where SEAFOAM comes into play. I will explain again, cut a piece of vacuum tubing, 1/8" ID or so about 14-16" long. Attach it to the vacuum fitting right behind the TB on top of the intake manifold. While keeping the engine from stalling, may need some help here (Honey?), suck the Seafoam into the engine. When the can is empty, stall the engine or turn it off. Let it sit for about 2 hours and then drive the piss out of it for about 5 miles. I would recommend you do this at night so you want be so visible becuase you are going to smoke like crazy and the cops will pull you over if they see you. I wouls suggest if it is as bad as you say, come back in after your hard run and do a second can.

There is horsepower in those cans! We have them on our shelf or if O-Rileys is near, they sell it as well.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

I second that!, or you can use the spray version like I did then you dont need a rubber hose."Deep Creep" by Seafoam.
    I could tell a major change in the way the engine breathes and responds after the treatment, one of the best things I have done so far.
    99 Miata Black

Thanks, Shuhart1, since I had the manifold off I was able to clean it with bottle brushes and solvent. I wonder if the combustion chamber is gunked up as well and the SeaFoam treatment would be a good thing to do to clean it? I do have some oil consumption issues with this engine, especially when I was using Mobil 1, but not so much with Dino oil. I don't see any smoke when driving on the street, but there is definately smoke on the autocross course where WOT and high revs prevail. I know some folks will block off their EGR pipe to reduce the problem, but I do not want to do that for air quality reasons.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

I will attest that I noticed a substantial improvement after running SeaFoam through the intake after I manually cleaned what I could get to in the intake. Well worth the price of admission.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton