Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new kiddie hauler

Default Need new kiddie hauler

Need some recommendations on a new kiddie hauler.

Requirements:

Must haul more than 5 people. (Rules out most cars)
    Good highway comfort
    Good gas mileage
    Cheaper the better ($20k-ish?)

I'd like a minivan. Say what you want but they are the best at hauling people. Most comfort, good mileage, car-like handling etc...

However, since the wifey will be driving it, I'm having a tough time selling the idea.

She wants an SUV :ncool: or a four-door pickup. She also is open to a wagon but I don't think they hold more than 5. (Mazda 6, Volvo, etc...)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

PM sent regarding the 2000 MPV sitting in my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I like the MPV's. We almost bought on a few years ago before we bought a FULL SIZE hightop conversion van.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I say Mazda Protege 5. Cheap, good gas mileage, good handling, and good looks.

Maybe a 6 sport wagon, but they're probably a little expensive.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

The new Ford Freestyle looks nice, but is out of your price range (although with discounts...).

I agree on the Mazda 5. It's gotten favorable reviews thus far.

If you go used, there are always Volvo V70s with the jumper seat.

Most 7 passenger SUVs are dreadful beasts. 4-door trucks could hold 6 if you get a bench in front, but this would be a tough configuration to find.

I say look at the Freestyle. They start at $25,700 and Ford is currently offering $1,000 customer cash and 0% financing. With some hard bargaining, you might get a great deal. Gas mileage is 20/27, which is great for a big vehicle.

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 06-16-2005 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The new Ford Freestyle looks nice, but is out of your price range (although with discounts...).

I agree on the Mazda 5. It's gotten favorable reviews thus far.

If you go used, there are always Volvo V70s with the jumper seat.

Most 7 passenger SUVs are dreadful beasts. 4-door trucks could hold 6 if you get a bench in front, but this would be a tough configuration to find.

I say look at the Freestyle. They start at $25,700 and Ford is currently offering $1,000 customer cash and 0% financing. With some hard bargaining, you might get a great deal. Gas mileage is 20/27, which is great for a big vehicle.

S.
    There's a Freestyle parked next to me at the office... Nice looking vehicle for a dang minivan. Owner is thrilled (moved up from a Sable when she got more dogs) with ride and handling and size and mileage.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yea Titus's MPV is nice! :cool:

grassroots motorsports has purchased a honda oddesy, and they plan on autocrossing it against a plymoth superbird. They seem to like it pretty good, and if I read the article correctly, they had one a few years ago that put up numbers on the auto-x course than some classic sports cars.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    grassroots motorsports has purchased a honda oddesy, and they plan on autocrossing it against a plymoth superbird. They seem to like it pretty good, and if I read the article correctly, they had one a few years ago that put up numbers on the auto-x course than some classic sports cars.
    That is not surprising. I hear that Mazdaspeed offers MPV parts in Japan including springs, sways, and exhaust.

That is not surprising. I hear that Mazdaspeed offers MPV parts in Japan including springs, sways, and exhaust.
    I can just see it...in 5 years all the ricers will be streetracing their parents minivans, civics & integras will be regarded as supercars...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

http://www.mazda.co.jp/mazdaspeed/

Select MPV A Spec from the 3rd dropdown...

The shocks and springs are actually made by TEIN.

OTHER MPV BODY KITS HERE.
    Last edited by Titus; 06-16-2005 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added pics

Personally, I prefer wagons,(Subaru Legacy's aren't too expensive) but if I had to get a minivan, it'd be the Honda Odyssey. I wish Honda would bring back the Accord Wagon.

My parents have had Caravans since the late 80's, and only had trouble with the 94', (A/C and transmission)
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Maybe a Forester? The Turbo ones will be above $20k, but the lower models should be available brand new close to or under $20k. Good mileage, more entertaining than a minivan, more space than most small SUVs. It's also built on the Impreza platform, so if you're inclined to tweak it a bit, many WRX/STi parts are a direct fit (including the STi's drivetrain, brakes, and suspension )...

Might also check out the Mazda6 wagon. They haven't sold well, so most dealers will practically give them away if you can find one. Last year they were offering close to $8k off of leftover '04s.

Is the Mazda5 even out yet? I didn't think it was going to be available until next year.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Is the Mazda5 even out yet? I didn't think it was going to be available until next year.
    I haven't seen the release date, but the pricing is already on Mazdausa.com which can't be said about the NC.

I'm pretty sure he said he needs room for more than 5 people, which rules out Forester, 6, et al. That's what makes this such a tricky question.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    I'm pretty sure he said he needs room for more than 5 people, which rules out Forester, 6, et al. That's what makes this such a tricky question.

S.
    Yep... not a lot of cars that seat more then 5 and come in around 20k. The Mazda5 will, and some of the cheaper Mini-vans like the Kia, but new Honda and Toyota offerings will be much higher priced. If you go out and drive all of the MV offerings, you will find that the Toyota, Honda, and Mazda offerings ride like cars while everything else rides like a truck. (Unless things have changed since we did it 3 years ago)

If you could pick up a Honda Pilot, even used with high mileage, it would be a great car. My wife thinks this is the best vehicle she has EVER had, and she's had a bunch of them during our 25 years of marriage. Everything from mini vans, Jeep GCs, and luxury sedans. It hauls 7 adults with ease, goes anywhere in any kind of weather, and is an absolute pleasure to drive... pulls in over 20mpg city, 24 highway...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    If you could pick up a Honda Pilot, even used with high mileage, it would be a great car. My wife thinks this is the best vehicle she has EVER had, and she's had a bunch of them during our 25 years of marriage. Everything from mini vans, Jeep GCs, and luxury sedans. It hauls 7 adults with ease, goes anywhere in any kind of weather, and is an absolute pleasure to drive... pulls in over 20mpg city, 24 highway...
    What he said. I'd still look at the Freestyle, though.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    Another vote for the Pilot, I'll be replacing my Expedition with a Pilot this Fall. My dad got one this spring with Navigation it is nice! :cool:

The four door Fords trucks get similar mileage to my Expedition; so don't forget to add gas into the cost of Ownership! Costs me around $50.00 every time I need to fill it up, which is about every 350 miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast