Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy 1999 or 2000 Miata

Default Looking to buy 1999 or 2000 Miata

Greetings, I'm looking to buy my first Miata. Newest I can afford would be a 1999 or 2000. I've seen the one for sale here, but I don't care for the flames, and the bank might not go for the title. Anybody have any advice on what I should be watching out for? I test drove the one at Town North today. It was a hot day, and I did gun it a bit, but after 15 minutes the temp guage was almost pegged to the hot side. I popped the hood and the engine didn't really appear to be overheated. I've got a couple more to look at tomorrow offered by private parties. One brags about Kumho tires. They the best? Thanks.

These are the four I'm considerining:

http://my.autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/d...iles-183677027

http://my.autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/d...iles-180551667

http://my.autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/d...iles-183332692

http://my.autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/d...iles-171524572

I'm pretty sure this car is #4 on your list. Didn't know you could get a six speed in anything but a 10AE (10th Anniversary Edition) Miata.

Kumho makes a decent tire all depens on what model tire.

I'm also looking for a 1999-2000 best of luck in your search! Let us know how if we can be of any assistance! :cool:

Did you see this one = http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=2968

I'm looking for either Red/Tan or Black/Tan perferably with no flames.

Anybody have any advice on what I should be watching out for? I test drove the one at Town North today. It was a hot day, and I did gun it a bit, but after 15 minutes the temp guage was almost pegged to the hot side. One brags about Kumho tires. They the best? Thanks.

Do you plan on racing/autocrossing the car? If so look for a 99 Sport or R Package with Limited slip. Inside the Passenger door the tag will say Suspension: Hard S....if that is what you want. Whatever you do have the car checked out by someone with knowledge of Miatas. People on this forum are very helpful most of the time.

The Temp gauge should not be getting pegged...maybe the car has a bad thermostat

Kumho tires are the best bang for the buck (depending on which ones)....yeah what POS said...
    No more Miata

[QUOTE=POS Racing]Did you see this one = http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=2968

That one was bought by Skirt two weeks ago for around $9,800.

I bought a 2000 LS for $9K with 42K miles in very good condition 3-4 weeks ago (private sale). There are good deals out there but those cars you listed above seem to be a little pricey for the mileage and options.

Keep an eye out for them to show up on cars.com. Check on Thursday for new listings and get there early on private sales, the good ones go quickly. I got mine and I was the first there to see it. It would of been gone by the end of the day at that price. A couple others that were potentially good deals and they sold the same day as they were listed.

One thing I noticed that dealers want $2-3K higher than private sales.

Also make sure you get a Torsen differiental in your Miata. Some of those with 14" wheels probablly don't have the torsen, so check the option package for the year you are interested in or call Mazda customer service with the VIN# for the options that came with the car.

I would think this time of year you will have to pay more than if you bought a Miata in January. My advise is that if you find a car you really like. Buy it!!! Don't settle for something less because it is alot cheaper. I think you would be happier in the long run.
    Of course that is just one mans opinion and I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Jerry
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata
    There are good deals out there but those cars you listed above seem to be a little pricey for the mileage and options.
    I agree. There are deals to be found if you're patient. If you can wait until fall/winter you'll find even better deals. Keep us posted and let us know if you'd like someone to look at a car (you're thinking of buying) with you.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I'm pretty sure this car is #4 on your list. Didn't know you could get a six speed in anything but a 10AE (10th Anniversary Edition) Miata.
    Heh. That car has been for sale for so long he's finally stated it in vinyl lettering on the front & back glass. I've been passing it on the way out of my house for probably a year now. Always wondered what he wanted for it, but couldn't be bothered to hunt it down since I wasn't in the market.

It does have a 6-speed, probably installed for bragging rights. It also has a (custom?) center exit exhaust -- nicely fitted into a notched bumper cover. The new top appears to be of the aftermarket cloth variety.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You couldn't, at least until '01. David Bennet and his son (the owner of that car) removed the original 5 speed transmission and replaced it with a 6 speed. I don't know why - having driven and raced both 5 & 6 speed Miatas, I prefer the 5 speed.

I'd say all four of the cars on your list are grossly overpriced. KBB Private party value for a '99 Miata in "good" condition (and beware of owners who claim their 7-year old car is in "excellent" condition) with 55k miles is $7785. I personally wouldn't pay more than $9k for any '99 or '00 Miata, unless it had really low miles and was exactly what I wanted (color, options, etc.)

Here's a few better deals from autotrader.com:

'99 White & Tan Leather Package with 62k miles for $8900

'99 White Touring or PEP with 58k miles for $8500

'00 Black Touring or PEP with 52k miles for $7500

'99 Black & Tan Leather Package with 61k miles for $8995

'99 Silver Touring or PEP with aftermarket 2-tone leather seats and 55k miles for $8788 (whether the leather is a plus or minus is up to you )

Hope that helps!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The overheating on the car you drove was most likely the Thermostat.
    I just went through the very same thing, runs like a champ now after a new Thermostat and flush & fill for the radiator.
    p.s. I am the guy with the car that has flames...lol
    I agree with you, my car,...people either love it or hate it, no in-between.

Good luck with your search.
    99 Miata Black

The other 6 speed cars are 2000 Special Editions. That's all I remember from my searches last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by karlcundiff
    I've got a couple more to look at tomorrow offered by private parties.
    Well you find a car???

Thanks for all the great advice, but I gave up looking for a '99 or '00. Got a heads up on the #4 bearing problem and got a little freaked out. I know you just have to be careful and have it checked out and all, but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

To be sure you were in the clear, you'd have to:

1. Check service records to find out whether the car ever had the bad part and was repaired to blueprint. The skill of the mechanic could only be guessed at.

If no history of the problem, you'd have to:

2. Check for it your own self (which I am not prepared to do) or pay someone you trust to check it for you (I can't afford anybody I'd trust). If the car has low miles the problem may not yet have surfaced.

Ideally you'd want to:

3. Find a car with say 60k+ miles with no history or evidence of the problem.

So anyway while I've been goofing off, my budget has shrunk. Can you say "pop-ups"?

What about you, ever get one?

What about you, ever get one?
    Nah have looked at a few, but the search continues!

Karl, I know that might be mighty scary but mine has been great in fact its the most fun to drive out of all the cars I have owned, might just wanna get a first generation Miata.
    I hate that you will be missing out on one of most fun and afordable cars I think ever made.
    Good luck and take care.
    Blaze, Billy
    99 Miata Black

Got a heads up on the #4 bearing problem and got a little freaked out.
    I think you are being paranoid...just have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic.

Quote from the board: "if your engine is past 20K miles then you are past the point when the failure would have likely happened"
    No more Miata

At over 80,000 miles on my 99 that problem is not on my "List of Worries" !
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    I think you are being paranoid...just have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic.

Quote from the board: "if your engine is past 20K miles then you are past the point when the failure would have likely happened"
    • The first bit is right, and good advice.
    • The second bit -- your quote from Miata.net -- is not entirely accurate. People have had the #4 problem pop up well past 20K.
    But your first point certainly over-rules the second bit... just get it checked at a Mazda Dealership, and have them put in writing that your measurement is within specifications. Then you'll have back up if anything should go wrong. And remember, this problem with the Thrust Bearing occurs in an extremely small percentage of the cars out there.

Avoiding a 1999 Miata because of the fear of the #4 problem is like staying indoors forever for fear of being hit in the eye with bird droppings. I mean, it can happen, but the chances are slim and there are things you can do to prevent (mitigate) it.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Ok, so let's say I find one with 40 or 50k miles, and I can afford both to buy it and have it checked at your favorite Mazda dealer, and he says it's within specs, and maybe it is because the owner treated it gently. So I buy it and maybe I'm not so gentle and at 60k miles the crank starts to fry. Who pays? The dealer who checked it? Nope. He will claim all he did was check it when I bought it and it was good to go. Possibly the mechanic was not so accurate in his estimation, but who's to know?

But you say I have "backup." Are you saying that for a 2nd owner with 60k miles Mazda will pay? If Mazda will pay for that kind of failure, what difference does it make that it was checked when I bought it? Will their decision whether to pay depend on the results of the check out? They could argue that since it was within specs when I bought it, it survived the warranty so they are relieved of responsibility. In that case it would have been better not to have a record of the check out.

Sounds like to me that you're talking yourself out of this potential purchase. I like Kestrel's notion of not going out to avoid getting pooped on... you're gonna have to take a chance at some point. I don't think wasting forever looking for that one virgin '99 is such a good idea when there are tons of well taken care of vehicles out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast