Thread: Miata vs. Exploder

Default Miata vs. Exploder

For awhile ive been wondering what would be the outcome of an unfortunate meeting of a Miata & a Big ass SUV. Well yesterday my wife witnessed it first hand in FT Worth(She was in the Element, it wasnt our Miata that was hit.)

She was sitting at a stop light & a Silver NB was driving through the intersection in front of her when an Exploder ran the red light, the Miata gunned it(the exploder would have t-boned it otherwise) & the Exploder hit it on the rear quarter panel/wheel. Apparently he was going so fast that he ramped his Exploder over the trunk of the Miata & rolled a couple times, like in the movies. Poor Miata, apparently the damage to the rear of the car was pretty severe, but the Exploder was still left on his back.

Chalk one up for the little guy

Anyway, I thought this story was interesting enough to share, hope it wasnt one of ours...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Was teh driver of teh Exploder on a cellphone? :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

The Miata driver is extremely lucky. 5 feet would have made a big difference in either direction, but a t-bone would have been ugly. I witnessed a Grand Cherokee t-boning a Frontier the other day (Frontier ran a light; I was on foot in downtown Dallas). All I could think was "thank God that wasn't me in the Miata, or my head would have bounced off that guy's grille."

In this case, the Exploder got what it deserved for running the light. I hope he was insured.

S.

Is it just me or are people just driving more and more careless these days?
    It seems much too often that I am having to steer onto the shoulder because someone comes into my lane or have to slam on the brakes cause some idiot pulls out in front of me, the same thing has crossed my mind about being in a wreck in the Miata.
    One good thing about our cars, unless its just something out of our hands we have a great advantage in the cars being so agile and safe at the same time.
    I cant tell you how many times I have missed something in the road and just been suprised at how well the car responds.
    Still the thought of an SUV running over the gas tank is scary as hell.
    99 Miata Black

^Agreed. The people in front of me I can handle, its the people behind me that im worried about. When im driving on 75 & the inevitable spontaneous STOP happens, when im standing on my brakes to not hit the guy I was following with a 3-4 carlength gap, im always pissing myself & trying to find an excape route from an SUV driver juggling his/her latte & a cell phone coming up behind me, fortunately in the 5,000 times ive been in that situation (on 75) ive actually had an attentive driver behind me, but it always scares the hell out of me. And im still amazed everytime I take off back to full speed & realize that 40 cars going 80+ all simultaneousely screeched to a complete stop, almost rear-ending each other for no reason at all...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I know exactly what you are talking about, one time I came to a stop sign and there was a car in front of me....I was at a full stop and noticed a white van coming up quick behind me, fotunately I was on a motorcycle and payed very close attention to everything around me...I saw him coming up and knew he wouldnt be able to stop so I gunned my bike and jumped the curb as the van smashed into the car stopped in front of me....pulled my shorts outta my crack and thanked God I was able to get over that curb in time....lol

On a bike you MUST drive like everyone else on the road is drunk!
    99 Miata Black

While were swapping stories...

I was driving home from a movie one night in an old beater van down I 20. As im cursing at this truck pulling in front of me on the freeway at ~40mph, I see these headlights over the crest of the hill coming up real fast, I quickly pull off on the shoulder/grass as this guy, in my lane, flys past me at over 120 - 130mph right into the ass of the truck going 40mph. The truck in front of me managed to take out 4 cars while spinning around like a bowling pin, which I then had to play autocross & dodge all the flying shit/cars all over the road. Pull over get out & the speeding black whatever it was, was nowhere to be found. Turns out it was a drunk in a chevy blazer, & he flipped across the road & down the embankment to the shoulder of the other side of I20, wasnt wearing a seatbelt, so he was somewhere else. Anyway, that was a bad, bad wreck that I missed (multiple times) by less than a foot.

Thats why im constantly looking in my mirror for some jackass in my lane thats drunk or not paying attention.

^^^ BTDT!!!

Was goin' around the Loop in Paris, TX in an old beater ZX-2... I was behind an 80s model Monte Carlo at a red light when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a truck (early 80s Chevy pickup) coming up VERY FAST. The light turned green and I floored it to the left... hit the median just in time to hear screeching tires and a big crash!

All of the windows were down and you could smell alcohol EVERYWHERE when the crash happened. It put the rear bumper in the back seat of the Monte Carlo. Lord only knows what it would've done to that small ZX-2 I was driving.

Luckily it happened across the Loop from a restaurant where there were 1 DPS, 2 Sheriff, and 2 Paris PD cars having lunch. All three in the truck were drunk off their @$$es. Alcohol was spilled everywhere and the driver of the truck ran the other way to ditch the evidence over a fence into a field. Alas... The Sheriff officer watched him do that as he was coming across the Loop to the accident and found all of it.
    Of course... all the drunks weren't wearing seatbelts... the driver got the steering wheel in the chest... and the passengers got face into windshield treatment. The poor guy in the Monte Carlo... never knew what was just about to happen to him. The only good part was that the driver in the truck was arrested on the spot for multiple offenses!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!