Thread: Throttle body and intake cleaning

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Throttle body and intake cleaning

This past weekend while I was at POS World HQ I decided to clean my throttle body and intake. I bought a can of intake cleaner (I read somewhere that regular carb cleaner should *not* be used for this purpose) and went to town.

It's an easy job. There are 3 screws and (1) 10mm bolt to remove and you're in (at least on the 'vintage' models). I even did the POS racer while POS the driver was under the hood of his boat! ('67 Caddy )

I had a slight 'stumble' in the idle and every so often I would get an idle drop when I came to a quick stop. All those symptoms are now gone and it's idling like new! Haven't experienced any idle drops either! This will probably knock 3-4 seconds off of my AX runs!

Jon W and I did this a while back with our '99s, but we removed the upper intake manifold to facilitate the process. You'd be amazed by how much gunk we cleaned off.

Unfotunately, it's a little more involved to remove the upper half of the intake manifold, but we still managed to do mine in a little over an hour from start to finish. We also used liberal amounts of intake cleaner (about two cans each), and a wire brush to get some of the more stubborn gunk off.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Note to self: Next Tech Day, bring two cans of intake cleaner and a wire brush. Then have altiain show me how to clean my TB.

I'm definitely having the "idle drop at stop" syndrom... I'm sure my TBs could use a little TLC.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Note to self: Next Tech Day, bring two cans of intake cleaner and a wire brush. Then have altiain show me how to clean my TB.

I'm definitely having the "idle drop at stop" syndrom... I'm sure my TBs could use a little TLC.
    I'm in on that one.....

And I work for cheap, too... :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw